DBSTalk Forum banner

I need everyones help

2K views 46 replies 12 participants last post by  James Long 
#1 ·
So I came up with a random idea of starting to referbish HR's. New drives if needed. Full cleaning full wipe. The works. Powersupply testing. Im open to people donating recevers. I dont think DirecTV is still referbising older HRs

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Talk to a lawyer. You need legal advice before starting such a business.

Be aware that MOST equipment is leased. If you are lucky enough to find or have donated "owned" equipment you would be very lucky. If you spent time and money refurbishing equipment that could not be activated you would be wasting your and your customer's time.

Can you guarantee that every receiver you refurbish would be able to be activated? If not, it is a major risk.

#16 ·
Well, then all you have left to do is the following...Prepare a business plan...Create a business logo, cards and stationary... Meet the legal requirements for the business you want to start...Select an accountant and attorney...Get the necessary tax ID numbers, licenses and permits...Insure your business...Open a business bank account...Arrange your business accounting and apply for loans...Establish a business line of credit...Ready your workspace.

#21 ·
Like it not, Directv has absolute control over whether a given box can ever be used again. Doesn't matter if you could wave a magic wand and make an HR24 act as though it was brand new out of the box. If they won't activate it, it is a doorstep. Now and forever.

Directv has always worked on a five year depreciation schedule for their receivers, once it is over five years old they consider it "non-recoverable" which means not only that they won't refurbish it but even if YOU refurbish it they will never allow to be activated on an account by someone else.

If you want to refurbish old stuff you need to focus on something where there's a market for that old stuff. There isn't one for Directv DVRs. What you're trying to do will work about as well as selling PB&J sandwiches to people with peanut allergies.

#22 ·
Like it not, Directv has absolute control over whether a given box can ever be used again. Doesn't matter if you could wave a magic wand and make an HR24 act as though it was brand new out of the box. If they won't activate it, it is a doorstep. Now and forever.

Directv has always worked on a five year depreciation schedule for their receivers, once it is over five years old they consider it "non-recoverable" which means not only that they won't refurbish it but even if YOU refurbish it they will never allow to be activated on an account by someone else.

If you want to refurbish old stuff you need to focus on something where there's a market for that old stuff. There isn't one for Directv DVRs. What you're trying to do will work about as well as selling PB&J sandwiches to people with peanut allergies.
That five year period doesn't make sense to me. I had to send back HRs that had to be older than that recently. I agree with the rest of this post.

Rich

#31 ·
This entire site is filled with weird threads, thoughts, plans, and ideas. This is the weirdest one, yet.

Reactions: compnurd
#37 ·
I bet I was one of the first to recycle a HS 17 to Best Buy after AT&T didn't want it back when I canceled. I held on to it for a year to make sure. They just wanted the sim/card sent back.
Well that's a perfect example of Directv's long time incompetence at managing what stuff they want back and what they don't want back. You can blame a lot of things on AT&T, but they never had their act together on this before AT&T came along.

#41 ·
Thinking of the impossible is easy. Doing the impossible is more difficult.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.