DBSTalk Forum banner

Picture breakup and not a cloud in the sky or on radar

2K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  HoTat2 
#1 ·
For the last 20 minutes my HR24 and my son's H24 have picture and sound breaking up. Looks almost like rain fade but it isn't.
Checked all signal strengths and they are 92 and above on all sats.
None of the strengths are flickering or changing while this is going on.

UH, while typing this I now get the 771 error. Strange

#3 ·
I did some more digging and it appears all the channels that have this are on the 99ca satellite.

Reactions: mws192
#15 ·
What's funny is that the sports mix channel on 205 is fine, but any non-local channel you tune to it is bad.
No, its not really funny, as it actually makes sense ...

As the SportsMix channel is coming from another satellite 103(cb), which is the "T10" satellite at 103° W.L.

It appears the issue is with the national feeds coming from transponders on 99(ca), which is the "T14" satellite at 99° W.L.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I was about to start trouble shooting in my attic as well, but now I don't have to.

The only positive for me is that I'm recording a game on an NHL channel, and it's not affected. My wife is pissed, though, because HGTV, Food Network, and Cooking Channel are all breaking up.

SMK

#21 · (Edited)
I'm having the issue too. Although my problems all seem to be on D14@99CA according to the Transponder Map in the following thread...

Transponder Maps ~ Data 10/23/2019

The one exception to this is ESPN, which IS on D14@99CA, but is not having the issue for me. I suspect that is because DTV changed ESPN to a working Satellite or sub-satellite.

I'm not exactly sure how it all works, I just know that every channel listed as D14@99CA is having serious issues with breakup, with the exception of ESPN. I don't believe I was recording a game on ESPN, so I can't check to see if it had issues initially and then they fixed it or if it never had issues.

I usually record the games and watch them later, so I can skip commercials or skip entire games if they aren't competitive.

Anyway, the Transponder Map which is an Excel file can be open and read easily with the "Excel Mobile" app that you can d/l from the Windows 10 App Store. I don't believe the app is available any other way. The app can read files only and won't allow you to make any changes.

There used to be a free normal Windows program to view Excel files in read only mode, but M$ took it down from their website and now they only link to the Windows 10 App. You could probably find the original program somewhere on the internet if you were so inclined. I don't know the name of it unfortunately. If you have W10 the Excel 'Mobile' App works fine and will let you view and navigate the spreadsheet without issue.

Just make sure when you load the spreadsheet to click the "National" tab at the bottom left. That will list the channels in order from first to last, excluding locals. So anything on channel 100 and up will appear in that tab and you can check to see if there is a correlation for the channels that are dropping.

For me, their definitely is and they are all D14@99CA channels. There isn't a cloud in sight and the signal is coming in as if it's raining cats & dogs outside.

From what I just now tested it's not ALL channels on D14@99CA, but it IS a vast majority of the channels with the exception of HLNHD(204), ESPNHD (206) ESNHD(207) BRVOHD(237) AUDHD(239) LMNHD(253) BBCAHD(264) FYIHD(266) DSCHD(278) TLCHD(280) APLHD(282) CNeHD(296) NIKeHD(299). Not going to test any further channels on D14@99CA as it's obviously impacted and most/all busted channels now have a sorry for the inconvenience message. The ones listed above are the ones that currently work for me in Houston, TX.

Keep in mind that local channels will be different for everyone since DTV uses spotbeams to send those signals only to the markets for which they are intended.

The game between the Houston & UCF on ESPN2 went bad right at 12:58PM CST. That's when it started to have issues (I assume along with all the other channels) and it only got worse from there.

#22 ·
I'm a commercial dealer and haven't received any emails from DTV about the outage although we had many customers calling in complaining the TCU game on ESPN was unwatchable I instructed our customers to switch to the SD feed as in my testing those feeds are working I also checked AT&t's Twitter page and there was no post about ongoing issues I tweeted at them and got a response within 21 seconds. I had to drive all the way out to the American airlines Center in Dallas from my house in fort Worth just to run a few tests and verify that it wasn't the DirecTV installation they're switching all their feeds over to the SD channels until we hear from AT&t that this issue is resolved

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

#28 ·
People could have said that in 2017 (the "end of SD" being announced in 2016). SD is resilient. :D

#29 ·
Well ...

While I can't speak for ESPN right now, the problem of picture breakup has returned for my local RSN "Spectrum SportsNet" on ch. 691.

Fouling up a lot of the Lakers vs. Spurs game ...

Sign .... [emoji20]

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.