DBSTalk Forum banner

Future of Audience Network?

4K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  techguy88 
#1 ·
With everything going streaming what's the future of this channel? AT&T now have various other platforms to broadcast content. All it really has going for it is Mr Mercedes. It is also only available to U Verse/Directv. It will hardly last much longer. Mr Mercedes will probably move to HBO Max. Any new content planned for this channel?

#4 ·
Ever since AT&T acquired DirecTV they keep expanding Audience to each new platform they launch. U-Verse TV added Audience (linear & VOD) in 2015 shortly after the acquisition closed, AT&T TV Now (formally DirecTV Now) has had it in both linear & VOD formats since launch, AT&T Watch TV has had in VOD format only since its launch and AT&T TV also has it in linear & VOD formats since its launch in the nine trial markets.

So the TL;DR answer to your question is AT&T has ensured Audience is well covered when it comes to streaming as it is exclusive to their TV streaming platforms. Since Audience is technically a "brand" of AT&T now it wouldn't surprise anyone if some of Audience's content like Mr. Mercedes & Kingdom is shared with HBO Max. However since competitors like Spectrum are now entering into the "original programming" field AT&T may feel inclined to keep Audience's programming exclusive to it's 5 TV platforms.

#7 ·
Here here! Or is it hear, hear? Anyway, as stupid as it can be, Loudermilk is a great show for when you just need to let loose. It's not nearly as lame as comedy shows on broadcast network TV and there is no laugh track so it's all good, and I think it is actually funny sometimes. I have seen ads for Condor during The Dan Patrick Show and plan on watching it this winter when I have time, it looks really good. Some of the music shows are good, too. You Me Her has zero appeal to me but no channel is going to be perfect. These are the reasons I have Directv:

1. Sunday Ticket (Colts fan in Patriots territory)
2. Audience Network (I have no interest in watching the Dan Patrick Show on an app or listening to it on the radio. The shows are a good bonus.)
3. ACC Network (I am not going to Dish and cable doesn't have it here)
4. (unable to discuss on this site but you can figure it out, it involves locals...)
5. AM21, or LCC (for newer customers) for the integration of local channels via OTA to help with #4 and to add subchannels.
6. The Sports Pack, especially for FS South to be sure I have all the ACC games that are on there. I do not have a local FS affiliate and Dish and cable locally do not have any FS affiliates.
7. Better PQ/HD. Most sports available overall. It's far from perfect but my HR44 works good enough and is better than X1. Best PQ and more HD than cable locally. If I go to Dish or cable, I gain Pac12 but lose so much more that I would actually watch more.

#11 ·
I wouldn't be surprised it if became a HBO max channel with it showing a lot of older stuff but nothing from say HBO itself.
It wouldn't surprise me when HBO Max launches Audience gets its own "content hub" for all its original shows like Mr. Mercedes and Kingdom. After all AT&T has made it available on all the new video platforms they have launched plus U-Verse. Might as well make HBO Max the magic 6th platform its content is available on. :D

#15 ·
AT&T's Audience Network will soon cease to exist. AT&T said Wednesday that it will transition Audience Network's linear and streaming broadcasts in the spring to become an HBO Max Preview Channel.

"We will begin to transition Audience Network from its current approach to support AT&T's broader original content and marketing focus on the upcoming HBO Max service," said Daniel York, chief content officer, AT&T Consumer.

AT&T Audience Network To End, Will Transition To HBO Max Preview Channel - Deadline

#16 ·
On the Dan Patrick show today, Dan mentioned that after the Super Bowl, the show will no longer be on DirecTV. It was mentioned that the show will be radio only for a while, but they would be looking for a new tv home. I have no links to support this bit of news as of yet.

#17 ·
Yeah, I heard that, too. Looks like I need to figure out BR Live. Perhaps the DP Show will at least end up on a HBO Channel? One can hope... Directv put a lot of money into that show.

#18 ·
No idea what DP’s deal is with AT&T. When the show left NBCSN it was reported that his deal with AT&T ran through mid 21. Don’t know if that means just paying DP, or paying the costs of producing the show. Seems odd that they would pay money and not broadcast it somewhere.

During the recent PGA Tour TV rights negotiations, where AT&T was ultimately unsuccessful, part of their offer was to repurpose TRU TV as a sports channel with an emphasis on golf. TRU TV is pretty worthless and obviously AT&T was willing to shut it down for golf. So it would not be a surprise to see the show spooled up on that channel.

#19 ·
No idea what DP's deal is with AT&T. When the show left NBCSN it was reported that his deal with AT&T ran through mid 21. Don't know if that means just paying DP, or paying the costs of producing the show. Seems odd that they would pay money and not broadcast it somewhere.

During the recent PGA Tour TV rights negotiations, where AT&T was ultimately unsuccessful, part of their offer was to repurpose TRU TV as a sports channel with an emphasis on golf. TRU TV is pretty worthless and obviously AT&T was willing to shut it down for golf. So it would not be a surprise to see the show spooled up on that channel.
Well in its current form truTV is a reality comedy channel. If they were to re-brand or shut down truTV they could easily move all its original programming over to TBS which is also comedy focused and nothing would be lost. truTV is only valuable during March Madness when CBS, TNT and TBS are already airing games and they need truTV as a 4th channel.

TBH I'm shocked Audience was chosen to become a HBO Max preview channel (I figure it would be Cinemax or one of its multi-plex channels) I did expect its originals to be shared with HBO Max at least. I guess Cinemax is safe to continue on its current path unless we hear something different before May lol.

Reactions: SamC
#27 ·
"As to the fate of existing programming, an AT&T rep would only say, "Any future use of Audience Network content will be assessed at a later date." "

AT&T Audience Network To End, Will Transition To HBO Max Preview Channel - Deadline
A main question that I have is "will the HBO Max Preview Channel remain exclusive to AT&T video platforms (DirecTV, U-Verse TV, AT&T TV, AT&T TV Now and Watch TV)?" It would still be a good selling point for their video services if the HBO Max Preview Channel remains exclusive.

In regards to Condor and Loudermilk I don't think this spells the end of those shows. Similar to Search Party (TBS) and Gen:Lock (Rooster Teeth/Adult Swim) I can see AT&T moving these series to HBO Max for future seasons and re-brand them as "Max Originals". HBO Max has been ordering shows produced by outside production companies so this isn't a far stretch. I can also see them airing the entire seasons of these shows 90 days later after a potential premier on HBO Max in full on the HBO Max Preview Channel similar to how Gen:Lock will be shared with HBO Max and Rooster Teeth FiRST.

So is the actual name 'HBO Max Preview Channel?
We have no idea what the actual name is at this time.

What will it show? Just an episode or two of HBO Max original series on a loop?
Well since HBO Max is the treasure chest of content from WarnerMedia at heart there is a lot of things they can do with it instead of just putting a couple of episodes of each Max Original on a constant loop. Audience, in its current form, orders its shows from outside production companies (HBO Max is also doing this with Max Originals.) It is also acquired syndication rights to non-WarnerMedia shows (i.e. Mad Men) and films (i.e. Swimfan) (that costs cash money).

Here are some things they can possibly do:
  • Crunchyroll has a sizable catalog of anime it has licensed outright for the North American market (i.e. 91 Days, Ace Attorney) where it can make use of those linear broadcasting rights it holds for shows that normally wouldn't fit in with Adult Swim's Toonami block.
    • Crunchyroll also has titles that are licensed under the "Crunchyroll-Funinmation" partnership that was in effect in 2016-2018. Under this partnership both companies jointly hold specific rights to these group of shows. Funimation typically retains the NA streaming rights to the English language dub while Crunchyroll has the NA streaming rights to the English language subtitled version. Funimation also handles the NA home video/EST distribution for these titles. Even though the partnership officially ended (due to Sony's majority acquisition of Funimation and AT&T's acquiring full control over Crunchyroll) there were some shows they jointly licensed at the time (like Dr. Stone) that were just released. The partnership also covers any shows from this period that gets any additional seasons in Japan. (i.e. After the partnership ended Bungo Stray Dogs got a third season which meant Crunchyroll & Funimation jointly licensed the third season.)
      • Crunchyroll is the party responsible for licensing shows to traditional linear broadcast/cable channels like Adult Swim. In situations where they can't stream the English dub they can sub-license the English dub to air on a traditional cable channel like Adult Swim. Dr. Stone is a recent example of this.
      • The only way HBO Max can stream an English dub under this partnership is if Hulu (who has an exclusive first look streaming SVOD deal with Funimation) declines to pick up the English dub and HBO Max sub-licenses the English dub streaming rights from Funimation.
        • So in the event HBO Max can't stream the English dub the HBO Max Preview Channel can be utilized by WarnerMedia to show anime from the Crunchyroll-Funinmation deal in these situations while sharing the English subtitled versions with HBO Max. A good example would be Zombie Land Saga which doesn't fit into the target demo for Adult Swim but would fit in with HBO Max's target demos (Millennials and Gen Z).
  • The HBO Max Preview Channel could be used to re-broadcast past seasons of shows that aired on other WarnerMedia services like Search Party (TBS), Gen:Lock (Rooster Teeth/Adult Swim) and Doom Patrol (DC Universe) that are showing future seasons on HBO Max.
  • When DirecTV/HBO decide to make a season of an HBO Original free on demand (in order to get people to subscribe to HBO to watch the rest) the HBO Max Preview Channel could air that season in full.
  • A hand-picked selection of movies from all the Warner Bros. studios that are not airing on HBO, Cinemax, TCM or any other channel that will be on HBO Max could be aired on the Preview Channel to give viewers a taste of the expansive cataloge of films available.
  • Audience originals (either the new seasons already ordered or repeats from past shows.)
So there is more they can do with the HBO Max Preview Channel than have the first episode of all the Max Originals on a continuous loop.

I wonder if this means less 4k content since a lot of the concerts and shows from audience network would be shown in 4k on channel 104.
Worst case scenario I believe the concerts will be shown exclusively in 4K. Possible scenario those concerts are shown on HBO Max as "Max Originals", repeated later on HBO Max Preview Channel and aired in 4K on DirecTV.

Reactions: longhorn23
#22 ·
#28 ·
Related thread: HBO Max finally revealed (AT&T video subscribers with HBO subscription gets it for free) (mainly for the discussion about what will happen to Cinemax)

Full article: HBO Max Execs Talk Fate of 'Friends' Reunion, Missing 'Harry Potter' Library

Interesting tidbits about the fate of Audience originals that would be of interest to this thread.

WarnerMedia execs are still determining the fate of series like Mr. Mercedes and Loudermilk after Audience Network revealed last week that its future as a home for original content was over. "That's being sorted out right now," Reilly said. "They had some good shows there. We'll see what happens once they get through that process." Sources say at least three of the originals could make the move to HBO Max. Meanwhile, the network will drop its name and become a preview channel for the streamer.

#29 ·
Reactions: Dishdude714
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.