DBSTalk Forum banner

HBO Max finally revealed (AT&T video subscribers with HBO subscription gets it for free)

19K views 243 replies 42 participants last post by  techguy88 
#1 · (Edited)
Full FAQ from HBO Max themselves
  • Cost: $14.99/mo
  • Content: See list
  • Launch Date: May 27, 2020
  • Check the chart below to see if your existing HBO subscription will include HBO Max at no additional cost. (Last updated 4/28/2020)
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Slope

• What about non-AT&T/Spectrum subscribers?
    • Check their website / FAQ closer to launch for HBO subscribers through a other cable/TV providers.
  • What about non-Apple/Google Play Store third party billed HBO Now subscribers?
    • Check their website / FAQ closer to launch for details.
AT&T Wireless Plans Help Section
  • AT&T Unlimited Elite: Login to your account at https://att.com/myatt to redeem your HBO benefit. If you migrated from Unlimited Plus/Plus Enhanced to Unlimited Elite you must complete this step to keep HBO free!! | For a step-by-step list of redemption instructions go to their Unlimited Plans page, scroll down to the FAQ and select "How do I get HBO?"
  • AT&T Unlimited &More Premium: For help on how to redeem your free premium benefit please see this help article.
  • AT&T Unlimited Plus/Choice (included Enhanced versions): For information on how your HBO benefit works with your grandfathered plan please see this page.
AT&T WatchTV / &More Plans Specific FAQ
  • I subscribe to the $15 AT&T WatchTV channel bundle. What is the benefit for me to pay $17.99/mo for HBO through WatchTV when other services like HBO Now charge $14.99/mo?
    • AT&T WatchTV customers who subscribe to HBO will also have access to HBO Max when it launches in May 2020. An HBO subscription through WatchTV will give you 3 linear HBO channels (HBO, HBO Family and HBO Latino), HBO On Demand and HBO Go in addition to HBO Max when it launches. In comparison HBO Now doesn't include any linear channels.
  • I have Unlimited &More Premium but I selected HBO as my free premium benefit. Do I need to do anything?
    • No! You are all set to enjoy HBO Max when the service launches in May 2020! Just use your existing credentials that you use to access HBO Go to access HBO Max when it launches.
      • However if you change your free premium benefit from HBO to another premium (like Starz or Spotify) you will lose access to HBO & HBO Max and will have to wait 12 months to change back or subscribe to HBO through AT&T WatchTV at rack rate (see below question for more information.)
  • I have Unlimited &More Premium but I selected a different premium like Spotify as my free premium. What is the benefit of paying $17.99/mo for HBO through WatchTV?
    • For $17.99/mo you get 3 linear HBO channels (HBO, HBO Family and HBO Latino), HBO On Demand and HBO Go. AT&T WatchTV customers with an HBO subscription will also have HBO Max included in their HBO subscriptions at no additional cost when the service launches in May 2020.
  • I have &More which includes the free WatchTV channel bundle doesn't included a free premium. What is the benefit of paying $17.99/mo for HBO through WatchTV?
    • For $17.99/mo you get 3 linear HBO channels (HBO, HBO Family and HBO Latino), HBO On Demand and HBO Go. AT&T WatchTV customers with an HBO subscription will also have HBO Max included in their HBO subscriptions at no additional cost when the service launches in May 2020.
Updated: 05/02/2020 - Updated quick guide and Hulu

See less See more
#105 · (Edited)
I'm quoting myself not typing this out again since it was relevant to the HBO Max topic and AT&T TV topic:

I eventually forsee the traditional HBO offer including HBO Max by default once AT&T gets all the distributors on board. As long as the linear channels stay the traditional MVPD HBO will stay. Eventually over time like (5+ years down the road) HBO Now could be the most expendable one.

Speaking of this:
  • AT&T TV is going to launch it's own version of the Premier package that includes HBO Max (coming soon)
    • AT&T will be pre-loading HBO Max app onto the AT&T TV device.
  • AT&T Internet subscribers who have AT&T 1Gig Fiber Internet will also get HBO Max at no additional cost
  • Existing customers on many of AT&T's video packages will be eligible for HBO and HBO Max for 3 months at no additional charge when HBO Max launches
    • Fine print: After 3 months, HBO and HBO Max will auto-renew at then prevailing rate unless customer calls to change or cancel. Limit one 3-month offer per AT&T customer. This excludes video customers on our lowest tier plans such as DIRECTV FAMILY, U-Family, U-Basic, AT&T TV Now PLUS. Subject to change.
  • New and existing AT&T Internet subscribers on non-1 Gig Internet will get a special offer of HBO Max included for 1 month on AT&T.
    • Fine Print: After 1 month, HBO Max will auto-renew at then prevailing rate unless customer cancels through HBO Max. Subject to change.
See: HBO Max Available to Millions of AT&T Customers on May 27

#108 ·
No nothing is being pulled from other streaming services because of the launch of HBO Max. Apple TV Channels, Amazon Prime Video Channels and Hulu are considered "third-party" distributors of HBO and you need an HBO subscription to access that content.

HBO made a bunch of their library content free during the month of April through their standalone apps like HBO Go and HBO Now due to the COVID-19 pandemic. All cable, satellite and streaming services that distribute HBO was allowed to make that same content free to their customers. Starting in May Amazon Prime Video customers will need to subscribe to HBO via Amazon Prime Video Channels to continue watching shows like The Sopranos, The Wire, etc.

Now the question is "will an HBO subscription through Amazon Prime Video Channels include access to HBO Max at no additional cost when that service launches on May 27th?" Currently that answer is No because Amazon and WarnerMedia haven't reached a distribution agreement for HBO Max yet.

Reactions: RVD26
#109 · (Edited)
Reactions: B. Shoe
#112 ·
I just tried it on XBOX-one Hbonow App -- It's free to stream now- I tried to Sign-in But D* is NOT listed a TV provider as of today -on the HBONOW web Site the code to activate would not work. My D* channel is package is premire? so should be included?

I can use HBOGO

#114 ·
I just tried it on XBOX-one Hbonow App -- It's free to stream now- I tried to Sign-in But D* is NOT listed a TV provider as of today -on the HBONOW web Site the code to activate would not work. My D* channel is package is premire? so should be included?

I can use HBOGO
Yes it should be included. D* is listed as a provider on the HBO Now app on ATV and Fire TV Cube. Might just be an XBOX issue.
AT&T-HBO subscribers are supposed to use HBO Go.

HBO Go is for MVPDs like DirecTV who offer traditional HBO subscriptions but the streaming service is included at no extra cost.

HBO Now is the standalone streaming service for those without a traditional MVPD. Verizon Fios sells both. Fios video customers use HBO Go while Fios Internet only customers use HBO Now for example.

#116 ·
Per myAT&T website...HBO Max has all your favorites, all in one place. Plus, it will be included with any AT&T plan that currently includes HBO...Get HBO Max included at no extra cost with: DIRECTV Premier... DIRECTV LO MAXIMO...U400 and U450 TV...AT&T TV NOW Max...AT&T Unlimited wireless plan.

#121 ·
Those who have HBO Now and pay through the Google Play Store will have HBO Max included at no extra cost at launch. Also confirmed if you use HBO Now gift cards at hbonow.com and are direct billed afterwards those subs will have HBO Max included.

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

#122 ·
Those who have HBO Now and pay through the Google Play Store will have HBO Max included at no extra cost at launch. Also confirmed if you use HBO Now gift cards at hbonow.com and are direct billed afterwards those subs will have HBO Max included.
Just a quick Thank You for this thread, and keeping us updated as HBOMax comes closer to rollout. It's confusing, and this thread has helped clarify the ever-changing roadmap.

I subscribe to HBO thru both DirecTV and Comcast, and am looking forward to the new streaming HBO also.

#125 ·
i was just about to post about this . love all those detailed charts @techguy88 ! good job. good to see DirecTV customers will also have access to this .

also hopefully Vz FIOS will be added soon. :)

Reactions: techguy88
#132 ·
WarnerMedia and Crunchyroll have announced the first batch of anime titles that will be available on the service. 17 titles available at launch with 2 more available after the launch window. New anime will premiere every quarter.

HBO MAX and Crunchyroll Team to Bring Fans More Anime on May 27th

Looking at the list it seems Crunchyroll will be able to include shows they have sub-licensed the streaming rights to from other NA companies like Aniplex of America and Viz Media.

TITLES AVAILABLE ON DAY ONE, MAY 27th:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Full Series (64 episodes)
Disregard for alchemy's laws ripped half of Edward Elric's limbs from his body and left his brother Alphonse's soul clinging to a suit of armor. To restore what was lost, the brothers seek the Philosopher's Stone.

Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (Director's Cut) - Season 1 (13 episodes and 1 OVA) Natsuki Subaru, an ordinary high school student, is transported to another world where the only person to reach out to him was a beautiful girl with silver hair. Determined to repay her, Subaru agrees to help the girl find something she's looking for.

In/Spectre - Season 1 (12 episodes)
In this Crunchyroll Original, an enthralling, fantastical mystery mixes with the supernatural and romance, as a duo sets out to solve a series of dark incidents plaguing their world.

Keep Your Hands off Eizouken - Season 1 (12 episodes)
Three high school students band together to create an animation club to realize the "ultimate world" that exists in their minds.

Rurouni Kenshin - Full Series (94 episodes)
Former government assassin, Kenshin Himura works to keep the peace during the Meiji Era in Japan, a time of troubled renewal after a long and bloody civil war.

KONOSUBA -God's Blessing on this Wonderful World! - Seasons 1 and 2 (22 episodes)
Kazuma Sato is transported to a fantasy world filled with adventure after a traffic accident. Now, along with the goddess Aqua, he is on a quest to solve many of this world's problems.

Bungo Stray Dogs - Seasons 1 - 3 (37 episodes)
Kicked out of his orphanage and on the verge of starving to death, Atsushi Nakajima meets members of the "Armed Detective Agency" said to solve incidents that even the military and police won't touch.

Berserk - Seasons 1 and 2 (26 episodes)
Spurred by the flame raging in his heart, the Black Swordsman Guts continues his seemingly endless quest for revenge.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress - Season 1 (12 episodes)
At a time when the industrial revolution was carrying the world into the modern age, a horde of undead monsters suddenly appeared. The people of Hinomoto have built fortresses to help them survive this threat.

Kill la Kill - Season 1 (24 episodes)
Six years since their collaboration on the ground-breaking anime series, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Hiroyuki Imaishi and Kazuki Nakashima are back to shock the world! Ryuko Matoi is a vagrant schoolgirl who enters Honnouji Academy to search for clues to the truth behind her father's death.

Your Lie in April - Season 1 (22 episodes)
Kousei Arima was a genius pianist until his mother's sudden death took away his ability to play. Then he meets a violinist named Kaori Miyazono who changes his life forever.

ERASED - Season 1 (12 episodes)
A young manga artist struggles to make a name for himself while living with a strange condition that transports him back in time before something life-threatening occurs. How can he erase the threats to stop this from happening?

Kiznaiver - Season 1 (12 episodes)
A secret high school group is formed with students from different cities who share one another's pain: a "Kiznaiver."

Schwarzes Marken - Season 1 (12 episodes)
In 1983, the East German Army 666th TSF Squadron, "Schwarzes Marken," is a special-response force tasked with assaulting BETA forces.

91 Days - Season 1 (13 episodes)
During prohibition, the law held no power and the mafia ruled the town. This 91-day story follows men guided by revenge as they try to escape their tragic fates.

The Testament of Sister New Devil - Seasons 1 and 2 (22 episodes)
Basara Toujo is a high school student whose father has suddenly just remarried. Hijinks ensue as his father then departs overseas leaving Basara with two new beautiful step-sisters.

Rokka -Braves of the Six Flowers - Season 1 (12 episodes)
Legend says, when the evil god awakens from the deepest of darkness, the god of fate will summon six braves and grant them with the power to save the world. However, it turns out that there are seven braves who gathered at the promised land.

TITLES AVAILABLE AFTER INITIAL LAUNCH WINDOW

Hunter x Hunter
Gon, a young boy who lives on Whale Island, dreams of becoming a Hunter like his father, who left when Gon was still young.

Death Note
Light Yagami is an ace student with great prospects and he's bored out of his mind. But all that changes when he finds the Death Note, a notebook dropped by a rogue Shinigami death god.

#134 ·
AT&T recently shut down the Cinemax "Max Go" app in the build up to the HBO MAX launch.

Starting on May 1, 2020, the MAX GO app is no longer available on iOS devices or Android phones.

Computers
MAX GO is available on your computer at MAXGO.com.

Which devices is MAX GO available on?
Well Max Go was never given a serious push like HBO Go under Time Warner. While both HBO Now and HBO Go is available on a wide variety of devices, Max Go was only available on computers and previously iOS devices and Android phones. The iOS devices and Android phones were the only decent way to watch Max Go content on TV. You can still cast content to TV through Chrome browser (via cast tab and expanding the video to full screen) but that is meh.

I'm guessing WarnerMedia doesn't want to support 4 concurrent apps at the same time and want to reduce confusion. After all if the Max Go app was still available and someone searched for "HBO Max" they would probably get even more confused seeing HBO Go, HBO Now, HBO Max and Max Go.

Reactions: lparsons21
#136 ·
Looks like we have the first conformation about where HBO Max will not be available and that is the Amazon Fire app store.

"We're going to be available across a broad cross-section of distributors. I think that will help with the momentum of the product coming out the door," Stankey said Wednesday at an investor conference. "We're going to be in virtually all app stores, with maybe one exception: It looks like we may not be in the Amazon Fire app store, when all is said and done. But we feel really good about the distribution dynamic."

#137 · (Edited)
An AT&T employee over at the HBO Max sub-Reddit posted a screenshot of compatible devices for HBO Max from their internal resources. It is interesting in that it includes Amazon Fire devices despite Stankey just saying HBO Max may not be available to Amazon App Store at launch. I'm guessing they already have everything ready to go once they get a deal worked out with Amazon.

List of supported devices:
  • Android Phone 5.0+
  • Android Tablet 5.0+
  • Android TV 5.0+
  • Apple iPhone 6+ (iOS 12.2)
  • Apple iPad 4+ (they list this as iPad OS 12.2 but technically it is iOS 12.2. iPad OS just started with the releases of iOS 13 and iPad OS 13 :rolleyes: )
  • Apple TV Gen 3+ (the employee notes that Gen 3 devices support HBO Max via AirPlay only, Gen4+ will support the actual HBO Max app)
  • Chromecast
  • See my note at the top about the next three
    • Amazon Fire Tablets 5.0+
    • Amazon Fire TV 5.0+
    • Amazon Fire Stick 5.0+
  • PlayStation 4 (So far unannounced, official FAQ and website just gives generic "game consoles" description.)
  • Roku (Also unannounced would be lumped in under generic "popular streaming media players" description.)
  • Samsung Smart TV (Tizen 2015+) [Note: FAQ makes no mention of smart TVs]
  • Xbox One (So far unannounced, official FAQ and website just gives generic "game consoles" description.)
Also my friend who works in a call center also confirmed to me AT&T Internet 1000 subscribers who have an AT&T video service like DirecTV or AT&T TV would have traditional HBO added to their video service at no extra cost after they successfully enrolled in their HBO Max benefit included with their Internet 1000 plan. (Similar to how wireless customers w/free HBO also get HBO on their video services.)

#140 ·
An AT&T employee over at the HBO Max sub-Reddit posted a screenshot of compatible devices for HBO Max from their internal resources. It is interesting in that it includes Amazon Fire devices despite Stankey just saying HBO Max may not be available to Amazon App Store at launch. I'm guessing they already have everything ready to go once they get a deal worked out with Amazon.
If this explanation of the conflict with Amazon has any truth to it, it looks like AT&T is mandating that the "Max" exclusive content will ONLY be available via their HBO Max app so AT&T doesn't have to share analytics data and can capture a bigger piece of the income among other things..........

Deeper Dive- What's behind the HBO Max-Amazon impasse?

"HBO has long been a part of Prime Video Channels, and its involvement may have helped spur its streaming growth. In 2018, TDG estimated that nearly 53% of HBO's direct-to-consumer subscribers came from Prime Video Channels. But the revenue sharing model might no longer work for WarnerMedia, especially since it's investing $4 billion in HBO Max over the next three years. That accounts for programming costs and the loss of licensing revenue from titles that could otherwise be sold to third-party streaming services.

Greenfield further broke down HBO's potential reasons for splitting with Channels stores. He said HBO Max going truly direct-to-consumer could mean higher subscriber acquisition cost, higher churn and a fractured user experience where some HBO Max content won't be available on legacy HBO and HBO Now apps. However, it also means HBO gets complete control of the user experience, complete capture of data/analytics and the ability to claim a higher share of subscription revenues.

"…It appears that forcing everyone to use HBO Max which has everything is likely the best way for AT&T/WarnerMedia to fix past missteps where HBO was forced to put near-term profits over long-term strategy," wrote Greenfield in a research note. "Sub-optimal short-term, but once people start using HBO Max, we suspect HBO Max believes they will use that as their starting point for all things HBO/HBO Max going forward.""

#138 ·
Quick question: I have DirecTV, including the HBO package. My plan is to watch HBO Max from an Android TV (Sony), ironically, on a Comcast Internet feed. I assume the HBO Max app will be available to download, just like any other app I've had to add (eg, Disney+). Once installed, do you know if I log in using my DirecTV credentials, or should I create some type of account first?

Trying to get ready...

Thanks!

#141 ·
HBO Max will be included in your DirecTV-HBO subscription. If your smart TV is powered by Android TV (5.0 or higher) then it should allow you to download the HBO Max app from the Google Play Store on May 27th like Disney+. To login you just select "Login with TV provider" and select "DirecTV" and use your DirecTV credentials.

Has anybody seen if HBO Max will stream any shows in 4K. The quality of HBO Go is pretty low. I hope it is addressed with new app.
Nothing has been said about 4K resolution yet.

Reactions: astrohip
#148 · (Edited)
Big deal on the distribution front however Amazon and Roku are still absent. Verizon FiOS, Cox and Altice USA are the big distributors from this announcement along with a handful of small distributors. AT&T confirms Xbox One and PlayStation 4 support along with Samsung TV 2016-2020 smart TV models support. See the latest news here.

Product Font Material property Rectangle Parallel

Reactions: B. Shoe
#152 ·
Big deal on the distribution front however Amazon and Roku are still absent. Verizon FiOS, Cox and Altice USA are the big distributors from this announcement along with a handful of small distributors. AT&T confirms Xbox One and PlayStation 4 support along with Samsung TV 2016-2020 smart TV models support. See the latest news here.

View attachment 30570
In this graphic, you say that for DIRECTV, HBO Subscribers (Add On) will have HBO MAX included with their HBO add on subscription. The information I've seen from other sources are saying only DIRECTV PREMIER subscribers will have HBO MAX included and other subscribers will be offered a 3 month to 12 month free trial. In particular, this story from CNET shows a graphic from ATT about half way down the page (blue graphic) that claims that add on customers won't be getting MAX for free.

Since we haven't gotten anything official from DIRECTV, I just want to know. I subscribe to HBO as an add on to CHOICE ($17.99) and if they are not offering HBO MAX for free to me, then it would make more sense to cancel my HBO subscription with DIRECTV and get in on the preorder deal for $11.99 per month for the first year and then $14.99 afterwards since you get all the HBO content plus the extras.

Maybe it makes sense to go the personal HBO MAX subscription (preorder) route anyways, even if DIRECTV does offer HBO MAX for free, because unless I'm missing something, I wouldn't be getting anything for the extra $3-$6 per month keeping the DIRECTV subscription to HBO.

#149 ·
Probably a longshot question but something I was thinking about. Will any of the DirecTV boxes, like the HR54 be able to access HBOMax content? Will they be adding an On-Demand channel with that content or an "app" like iHeart or Locast to include this content? Right now, with Roku and Firestick not on the list yet, I'm trying to figure out the best way to stream this. I can do XBox but it's not the best experience for streaming IMO. I don't know if my Vizio will have the app, and if they decide to stream some content in Atmos, that won't be as great as through Roku or Firestick. I can also do Chromecast, but sound quality is not DD.

#153 ·
That graphic clearly states you will get it at no charge if you subscribe to HBO through AT&T. My guess if you cancel that and use the $11.99 or the $14.99 subscription options you would only get HBO content through the MAX app and lose the DTV linear channels.

Font Rectangle Parallel Electric blue Slope

#158 ·
Just checked the HBO Max FAQ page Consolidated Communications and Liberty Cablevision of Puerto Rico were added as to the list of ISPs who's HBO Now customers will have HBO Max included with their HBO Now subscriptions at no additional cost.

Product Font Rectangle Material property Parallel

#159 ·
Most likely when the special free preview event ended on April 30th Amazon put all the HBO content back under the HBO channel through Prime Video Channels on May 1st similar to what happened on HBO Go/HBO Now standalone apps.
I think you're still confusing the HBO content that has been free for years on Prime without an HBO subscription.
I just checked and indeed the HBO shows are no longer available for free on Prime.
It had nothing to do with a free preview.
Thankfully, I get HBO for free through AT&T so I assume I will also get free access to HBO Max.
But it sucks for those Prime Video members who don't have an HBO subscription.

#195 ·
Right after the pandemic started HBO put multiple original series out for free for everyone on every service. Sopranos was one of them. It was always going to end after a while and before max launched.

Some of those series may have also been on prime but I don't believe all of them where.

HBO puts 'The Sopranos,' 'The Wire,' 'Succession' and 6 more shows free online

It does not surprise me to see them all Come off prime though with the launch of max and the evidently internal fight with Amazon on max being a channel in the prime app.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.