DBSTalk Forum banner

DirecTV Genie (HR44-500) Error 923

8K views 44 replies 9 participants last post by  Rich 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

My DirecTV Genie HR44-500 this morning gave me an error 923. It says the hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced. I'm using an external drive and wonder if this error could be referring to the internal drive or if it really thinks my external drive has failed. Given what I've seen from the quality of their hardware and software this wouldn't surprise me. After all, they essentially give the DVRs away for free with a 2-year commitment so they really can't spend too much on them.

What's odd is that I'm using an external enclosure with a WD Black 2TB drive that's only 5 months old. From what I've read these are supposed to be much more reliable than the drives they use internally.

So my questions are:
  1. Could this error be referring to my internal drive and that my external drive, with my recordings, is actually fine?
  2. Could the issue be the enclosure and not the drive itself?
What's really frustrating is that we'll be moving out of state in about a year. When we move I was going to look into other TV providers. I've been so frustrated with DirecTV and the poor quality software and hardware that I really can't see sticking with them after the move. I figured it would be a good time to start fresh with someone else who must be better. After all, it wouldn't take much for another TV provider to be better than this.

What's also very sad is that if they only gave us some way to make a backup of our drives then that would avoid this whole issue. But that's out of the question from them. I guess it would be too nice to the customers and they would never do something like that!

Thanks in advance for any help and for putting up with my ranting too :mad:.

Larry.

See less See more
#8 ·
Does anyone know if there's a minimum capacity for the internal drive? I found a WD 250GB drive for $20. If that'll work to at least have a working internal drive I can replace with that. Cheap enough solution. And, when I move and dump DirecTV I'll remove my own drive and put back in their defective POS drive :).

Thanks once again!
Larry.

#13 ·
Am I correct that when using an external drive, nothing gets stored on the internal drive? All content, settings, preferences, guide data, series to record, everything is on the external drive. Is this correct?

Thanks again!
Larry.

#15 ·
I just tried chatting with DirecTV tech support. Here's what he said:

Carlos C : Due to the fact even you have rebooted it and the issue still persists, a receiver replacement is needed. And allow me to explain to you the external hard drives are not compatible with the DIRECTV receivers, no worries! i will help you to replace that box​

I asked to be transferred to a tech who know about using an external drive. He transferred me to his supervisor who also didn't know anything about it.

OK. it's 6PM on the 4th of July holiday. So maybe they have the techs working who can solve the common issues, not ones like this. But to just assume I need to replace my DVR because they don't know about it is a poor reply.

Just one more reason why I'm becoming more and more disappointed with DirecTV and will likely switch to something else. UGH!

Thanks,
Larry.

#16 ·
Yea, that would but I like the idea that my external is external. When some other part of the DVR takes a dump (and it will eventually like most DirecTV DVRs) I won't have to tear it open to recover my drive.

And in theory, I could power down the DVR and make a duplicate of the external drive as a backup. Of course, that would only work if my own drive failed and needed to replace it on the same DVR. Of course, I'd need another drive to act as the backup and actually take the time to do it, which I have not ;).

Thanks,
Larry.

#17 ·
DTV support uses the standard operating procedure to replace the DVR no matter what is wrong. I've never heard of them replacing a hard drive or sending a new hard drive out. It is always replace the receiver. I doubt you will be able to talk to anyone that will tell you different.

#23 ·
HOW large is your external Drive --FOLKS are reporting the same Problem with Large external or replaced internal drives --Code was changed in the last firm where update --IT may have been done without knowing? Drives are 2tb or larger --May be address with a fix or not --as suggested --unplug your external drive and reboot the receiver.

#26 ·
I don't know what the absolute max size is, but I believe it is related to the underlying unix kernel that the OS lies on top of. I do not know what maximum that supports, but some years ago I heard a number that was lower than 10TB. Why a 10TB drive would work, then have problems, with the change of OS I don't know, unless the Unix foundation was changed (which is possible). If that is the case, then there may never be a fix with updated software.

#30 ·
FWIW, I'm running a 6TB magnetic external drive, and not having any issues with my HR54-500.

#28 ·
OK, I opened the receiver and replaced the internal drive with another 1TB Seagate drive. Booted where it went through the formatting drive process. I then powered it down again and plugged my external drive back in and powered it up. But, I don't see any of the shows I had recorded.

I'm now wondering it I had been using my external drive at all. Perhaps I was unknowingly using the internal.

Is there a way I can see via the menus if it's using the internal or external drive? Since no shows are recorded on the internal right now I suppose I could record one show, power down, unplug the external, power up and see if the show is still there. If it is, then it's not using the external.

Thanks again everyone!
Larry.

#29 ·
OK, I opened the receiver and replaced the internal drive with another 1TB Seagate drive. Booted where it went through the formatting drive process. I then powered it down again and plugged my external drive back in and powered it up. But, I don't see any of the shows I had recorded.

I'm now wondering it I had been using my external drive at all. Perhaps I was unknowingly using the internal.

Is there a way I can see via the menus if it's using the internal or external drive? Since no shows are recorded on the internal right now I suppose I could record one show, power down, unplug the external, power up and see if the show is still there. If it is, then it's not using the external.

Thanks again everyone!
Larry.
Glad your back up though!

#44 ·
Simple, ATV = All Terrain Vehicle
ATV = Amateur Television
ATV = Authority to Vote
ATV = Advanced Technology Video
ATV = Antenna Television
And, about 2 or 3 dozen more.

Normally, it is best to spell out an acronym the first time it is used (in a particular context). Something means one thing to me, another to you, and who knows what to the next guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.