DBSTalk Forum banner

Wrong OTA Guide Data Not Due to Channel Sharing

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  fmcomputer 
#1 ·
I noticed that I am receiving WHYY, Philadelphia (Virtual 12.1, RF 13) and getting the guide to WUSA, Washington (Virtual 9.1, RF 9) and WPSG, Philadelphia (Virtual 57.1, RF 33) is showing the guide for WRC, Washington (Virtual 4.1, RF 34). I can get all of these stations (not all of the time).

I know about the known issue where you will get wrong guide data for channels that are sharing the same frequency (I.e. WBFF/WUTB and WTTG/WDCA), but this is the first time I have seen this with two channels that aren’t frequency sharing. The only common thread is that WHYY & WRC both channel share with stations that use virtual channel 44.1 & 44.2.

#2 ·
Before sharing began (which placed two .1 channels on the same transmitted feed) there were occasional problems where either the station transmitted the wrong "TSID" (transmitter stream ID) or DISH had the TSID wrong in their database. In this instance, the question would be "what changed?".

If the stations changed the TSID they broadcast without informing DISH that would mess up the matching alogarithm that dish uses (TSID plus public subchannel number). Occasionally a station will not transmit the correct TSID due to a configuration problem. That will lead to no match or an incorrect match.

Although this issue predates channel sharing, the root cause is the same. DISH receivers are looking at a stream, seeing a TSID and a public subchannel number and using that to match the EPG regrardless of channel number or RF channel used. Which means if channel 70.1 and channel 71.1 share RF channel 72 using TSID 1234 both 70.1 and 71.1 will show the same EPG. I have not seen any change in the data that would allow for two .1 channels on the same feed to have different EPG.

#6 ·
I complained and complained. The answer was, we are trying to fix it, or you should be getting the correct info.... I don't think Dish puts a lot of effort into it, As least the OTA side of it. After all, the vip211k is obsolete. I have no idea how accurate the OTA guide is on the dongle on the newer receivers. I guess we should be lucky even to have the built in OTA tuner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.