DBSTalk Forum banner

Sho*BET launches on July 15th, Showtime multiplex reshuffled

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  DBSSTEPHEN 
#1 ·
Cross posted with existing discussion in DISH forum: Showtime to rebrand multiplex as Sho*BET

Apples to all providers but I found this info out on a small cable provider's website.

On July 15th the following changes will occur to the Showtime multiplex:
  • SHO*BET will launch in Showtime Showcase's current position (presently D* 548 / E*321).
  • Showtime Beyond will re-brand into Showtime Showcase and Showtime Beyond will cease to exist. Showtime Beyond is presently on D* 550 / E*323
Seems ViacomCBS has done some backpedaling here because originally in February there was no mention of ceasing or replacing Showtime Beyond in anyway just Showtime Showcase.

#3 ·
Well... to be fair... if you look at what is known so far about ViacomCBS' plan for the "expanded & re-branded" version of CBS All Access that is supposed to be a "house of brands" from them there is no logic behind their decisions at the present moment. :confused: Especially since ViacomCBS is having a grand ol' time licensing a bunch of stuff out to HBO Max and Peacock on both exclusive and non-exclusive terms.

In fact ViacomCBS is managing to take AT&T's iron throne in the "let's see how much we can confuse our customers" department and that says a lot when another company is confusing the customer base more than AT&T. o_O

As per the original February announcement, Showcase was going to be re-branded to SHO*BET nothing was mentioned about changing any of the other multiplex channels at that time. I'm guessing since the announcement of SHO*BET in February they had some second thoughts and wanted to keep Showcase. Since the current space occupied by Showcase is more widely distributed it appears they are continuing on with the original plan and giving that space to SHO*BET.

Since Showtime Beyond & Showtime Extreme are their second to most widely distributed multiplex channels they decided to ditch Beyond and give that space to Showcase. Extreme just had a graphics & on-air refresh in 2011 meanwhile Beyond is still using its graphics package and logo from 2001 so it in a way easy to see why they decided to kill Beyond and give that space to Showcase.

Showtime Family Zone, Showtime Next and Showtime Women are the least distributed Showtime multiplex channels. For example D* carries Showtime Next and Showtime Women but does not carry Showtime Family Zone. In contrast Dish Network (E*) carries Showtime Family Zone but not Showtime Next or Showtime Women.

Reactions: Dishdude714
#4 ·
For some weird reason, Beyond is actually the only Showtime multiplex NOT widely carried by Comcast, even in SD...while they DO carry the rest of them at least in SD. That might be part of the reason why they decided to ditch it - while at the same time they decided to replace Showcase w/Sho BET, since obviously it IS currently widely distributed on most providers - this way Sho BET is pretty much guaranteed to get wide exposure.

#5 ·
D* added two INFO subchannels yesterday explaining the changes pretty much confirming on July 15th Sho*BET will be on ch 548 and Showcase will replace Beyond on ch 550

#9 ·
Why not just call them Showtime 1 through 6? Is there really a need for all these linear channels anymore with all the on demand steaming nowadays?
The themed channels allow Showtime to have some premium content from each genre. They could call them 1 through 6, but if they are going to set aside a channel for a type of programming why not do a little branding?

The need for linear channels has not ended. There are still plenty of people that have linear only or are not intersted in on demand. As long as they are making money it doesn't cost that much to leave the linear channels active.

#7 ·
I could be wrong but I think it's a partnership with bet black entertainment television. Since CBS Viacom owns both showtime and bet it makes sense.

I remember Starz used to have a starz in black channel years ago.

I think it will be a long time before we see premium channels start to vanish Since they have a streaming and/or on-demand counterpart. I'm sure (i dont have proof just an opinion) that there is money to be made with all those additional channels being carried on each provider

#8 ·
I could be wrong but I think it's a partnership with bet black entertainment television. Since CBS Viacom owns both showtime and bet it makes sense.

I remember Starz used to have a starz in black channel years ago.

I think it will be a long time before we see premium channels start to vanish Since they have a streaming and/or on-demand counterpart. I'm sure (i dont have proof just an opinion) that there is money to be made with all those additional channels being carried on each provider
Yup pretty much Sho*BET is a joint Showtime-BET channel part of ViacomCBS' synergy plans with their services. In ViacomCBS speak this will most likely be a way for them to siphon programming from linear BET to move to this channel. (I highly doubt they will take anything from BET+)

Had COVID-19 not had happened the fifth season of RuPaul's Drag Race: All-Stars would have left VH1 and moved to Showtime to boost Showtime's reality show lineup (instead of ya know investing and creating more shows in that genre for Showtime.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.