DBSTalk Forum banner

Anyway to disable 'Rewind to beginning of program' feature?

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  zcarguy 
#1 ·
This "feature" for me has been more of a curse than a blessing.
I've lost count of how many times I've resumed a recorded show and accidentally rewound the program all the way to the beginning instead of just rewinding a few seconds.
Is there anyway to disable this feature?
If not, can DirecTV please make this an option in a future update?

#2 ·
I've lost count of how many times I've resumed a recorded show and accidentally rewound the program all the way to the beginning instead of just rewinding a few seconds.
Disconnect from the internet. That will make it go away but you will lost on demand. As far as new software feature I would expect very little in that department until the end

#4 ·
I was thinking the same thing except that this is a program already on the DVR (not a program joined in progress via a channel change). I would not say disconnecting from the internet would make a difference when watching a DVR recording.
At first I thought this topic was about an internet thing, too. Moments ago I just recalled that this is an actual playback feature from early on in the "newer" UI on the HR44 and above.

Haven't used the HR44 here for awhile. It's been disconnected from the net (and the coax) for over 2 years, but I do recall playing recordings a couple months back and being frustrated by this feature as well.

The way it works is if you start to resume a recording and you just want to rewind a few seconds it jumps all the way back to the beginning of the recording unless you exit the "prompt" or wait for it to go away first.

(The 44 here still has 1037 in it, so I know this feature has been in genies for a while.)

I don't think there's any way to disable it, but I can't say I've ever really looked all that hard for an option. I don't use the unit that much but would tend to doubt that there's a way.

(Also frustrating was the removal of the "bookmarks" feature, which would've been a possible workaround to at least allow you to get back to where you were if you marked before leaving a recording.

Last time it was connected, though, I could still set bookmarks into the genie with an older unit connected by whole home, for whatever that's worth.)

#3 ·
I was thinking the same thing except that this is a program already on the DVR (not a program joined in progress via a channel change). I would not say disconnecting from the internet would make a difference when watching a DVR recording.

#5 ·
Yes, I am referring specifically to recorded programs on the DVR.
This feature was not always around and I've only noticed it within the last couple of years or so.
Often when I resume a show, I like to rewind a few seconds and then start watching.
Right now the only workaround is to wait a few seconds for the prompt to go away, but I often forget and end up going all the way to the beginning.
Disconnecting completely from the Internet seems rather drastic, even though I rarely use the On Demand feature.

#6 ·
The best thing to do is wake up and pay attention to what you are doing! Push the right button.

#13 ·
I have streamed music videos on channel 800 on the music choice app, but that's about it. The weather apps are far too basic, the ESPN app is far too clunky, and I don't watch Cheddar or the other one. So yeah, very easy to live without.

#21 ·
I despise that feature. When I accidentally skip back to the beginning, I never know where I was when the show was already in progress. Another example of a feature added by DTV with little or no respect for what subscribers really want.

Reactions: RVD26
#22 ·
It is a shame that they did not use that development effort to make something more useful - like restoring recently deleted programs.

#23 ·
Its a bit of an inconvenience when it happens. I try to exit out to avoid it. Lucky for me my wife pays attention to where we were so I can get back to that spot pretty quickly. Even if disconnecting the internet solved this I personally use the on demand stuff enough to put up with a small annoyance like this. To me the pause ads are much more annoying. The ability to scroll through the guide and find a movie that is half an hour in and simply start it from beginning is worth the crap dtv forces on us. Even being able to watch shows I may have missed the boat on years ago is a big plus. Sure I could probably do the same thing downloading a network app on a firestick but I prefer to just watch on my dtv box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.