DBSTalk Forum banner

DISH price changes eff 1/14/21

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  crodrules 
#1 ·
Not only is there the usual increases in TV package prices, they actually are LOWERING the monthly service fees on any receivers that you have purchased & own! (see the drop-down on this site for the new rates on those)
But put simply - any/all owned Hopper/Joey receivers, as well as all owned legacy solo receivers will be $5, while all owned legacy duo receivers, will be $10.

https://my.dish.com/infocenter

2021 Pricing Updates (as of January 14, 2021)
Package 2021 Price Increase from 2020
Welcome Pack $39.99 $5.00
Flex Pack $47.99 $5.00
Smart Pack $45.99 $5.00
America's Top 120 $77.99 $5.00
America's Top 120+ $82.99 $5.00
America's Top 200 $92.99 $5.00
America's Top 250 $102.99 $5.00
America's Everything Pack $127.99 $5.00
Dish America $62.99 $5.00
DishLATINO Básico $46.99 $5.00
DishLATINO Clásico $49.99 $5.00
DishLATINO Plus $56.99 $5.00
DishLATINO Dos $75.99 $5.00
DishLATINO Max $87.99 $5.00
Locals Only (CORE) $15.00 $3.00

See less See more
#2 ·
But put simply - any/all owned Hopper/Joey receivers, as well as all owned legacy solo receivers will be $5, while all owned legacy duo receivers, will be $10.

https://my.dish.com/infocenter
Suspiciously missing from that drop-down list are the Hopper Duo and the 4K Joey. So, are those fees being eliminated entirely, or are they staying at the current rates? It seems ridiculous that a purchased Hopper Duo would remain at a $10 per month DVR fee, while all other Hoppers are going down to only $5 per month. So, with a $10 per month reduction to the DVR fee across the board for all purchased Hoppers, that would make Hopper Duo DVR service completely free.

#3 ·
Is Dish selling the Hopper Duo & 4K Joeys to own? I wouldn't put it past them to switch to a lease only model like D* did for Genie 2.

#5 ·
I called Dish last year and they gave me a preferred contract agreeing to stay for another 2 years, so it looks like I am good for another year. I still like Dish, but in time streaming may be a better deal. Right now everything is not available via streaming, so it may be a while. It looks like the pricing will continue to increase at a fairly high amount. For me this year, it would have been 8 bucks a month, AT250 & Locals.

#9 ·
I called Dish last year and they gave me a preferred contract agreeing to stay for another 2 years, so it looks like I am good for another year. I still like Dish, but in time streaming may be a better deal. Right now everything is not available via streaming, so it may be a while. It looks like the pricing will continue to increase at a fairly high amount. For me this year, it would have been 8 bucks a month, AT250 & Locals.
Actually, it only would have been $5 a month, AT250. The $15 Locals price shown in the chart is for the new stand-alone Locals Only core package, which does not require any other package. The locals add-on for all other packages is remaining at $12, per the fine print below the chart:
"Package prices do not include $12/mo. Local Channels price."

Reactions: harsh
#4 ·
Not only is there the usual increases in TV package prices, they actually are LOWERING the monthly service fees on any receivers that you have purchased & own! (see the drop-down on this site for the new rates on those)
Well if you plan on staying with Dish for the long term now makes sense to own the equipment.

Reactions: crodrules
#11 ·
I am surprised that the fee isn't market based. In some places locals is a lot less channels than the major markets. But the large markets have a lot of "must carry" channels that DISH doesn't have to pay for (or lesser channels that they can drop if the channel chooses "consent to carry" and asks too much). The major network stations and their networks are the biggest reason locals cost so much.

#12 ·
Does anyone know if the multi-station owners like Nexstar, Tegna, etc., set their retrans contract rates by market or flat rate per subscriber? I don't know what the overhead costs would be for Dish to charge subscribers different rates per market. I know it's doable, but would it be cost effective for Dish...

#13 ·
The mechanism is there. DISH has an RSN fee that could be charged if they had RSNs. :)
There are only 210 markets and each has to be activated per customer. I don't see it being difficult or more expensive to manage to have a different price point per market. They just need to bill for "Local Channels: South Bend" instead of the generic "Local Channels" and tie the activation to the line item the way packages and add ons are connected.

It would be a messy bill for RV customers who change locals often. Since bills are paid in advance there would be pro-rated charges and credits - even if all markets were $12 markets. But most customers are not RV customers.

#15 ·
It can be a messy bill for RV customers now, with various state surcharges, and different states charging different rates for sales tax. Granted, that may not be the way Dish is actually doing the billing in those cases. (Instead only charging the surcharge and/or sales tax based on which market was being received at the start of the billing cycle.) However, any effort to keep such billing simple is inevitably going to lead to some customers being overcharged as they move around the country.

However, even for subscribers who do not move around, the billing can be messy due to the Flex Pack add-ons, and the ability to add and remove purchased receivers at will, without any programming change fees in either case. Most of the Channel Packs can be added and removed as often as you wish, and I take advantage of that quite regularly. I add the locals on the days when I want them, and then drop them again to avoid paying for them. I do the same thing with my purchased ViP211k on days when I need an additional receiver for a rarely-used TV. My Dish bill looks about as complicated as a long-distance landline phone bill, but I get the programming and additional outlets I want, while still saving money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.