1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

‘Babylon 5’ is great, so why does it look so bad?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Mark Holtz, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    From Engadget:

‘Babylon 5’ is great, so why does it look so bad?
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

2. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Although I haven't seen this in probably 20+ years, my memory was that the PQ always was kind of on the low side. I think I've heard it was shot on 16mm.

I also recall the CG stuff looking mis-matched, frame rate-wise and always bothered me. Probably designed for VHS (where it looked OK if you taped it off the air and watched it that way back then).

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    "Babylon 5" was shot on Super 35mm film stock but suffered aliasing during the progressive scan transfer.

4. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Don’t care about the PQ, it was a great series that didn’t get the recognition it deserved.

BubblePuppy likes this.
  5. Jake Bailey

Jake Bailey New Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Kansas-city
    Thanks for sharing! It's very upsetting that Babylon wouldn't get a restored version due to technical issues, yet even without a good CGI the story itself is great.

6. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Bab5 was shot on a low budget and was always put under heavy constraints. I have friend who spent months using multi pass noise reduction correction etc on each episode. The results are pretty good.