1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

‘Star Trek: Discovery’ to premier September 24...yes, really

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Jun 19, 2017.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Per ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Gets September Premiere Date On CBS & CBS All Access, Season 1 Split In Two and other articles, the series will premiere on Sunday, Sept. 24th at 8:30 p.m. with the two first episodes available to stream on CBS All Access and subsequent episodes premiering on CBS All Access the following Sundays. The 15-episode first season will be offered in two chapters. The first eight episodes will roll out through Nov. 5. The series will then return with seven new episodes in January 2018.

Rich likes this.
  2. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    I watch the premier on CBS not sure if I would want to pay $5.99 a month to continue to watch it.

3. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    If you have abandoned "the cord" packages which I've done for everything but "basic cable channels", CBS All Access more than replaces your local CBS channel. It gives you all CBS shows plus All Access originals and, for most of the nation's viewers, it gives you a live feed of your local CBS channel. And you can get it with "limited commercials" on streaming for $5.99 a month.

At $9.99 a month for the no commercials when combined with no commercials Hulu at $11.99 a month, you retain next day access to all your ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC prime time programming without having to skip commercials on DVR recordings.* Chances are you're paying at least that $22 for locals and a DVR. But with CBS All Access, and even more so with Hulu, you're getting original programming you can't get elsewhere.

Cord switching is complicated as I discussed in this post and others in the thread
    2017 - My year of the "cord switch" and because the internet streaming offers are rapidly expanding and changing it's hard to decide how to allocate your TV budget.

*There are a very few exceptions on Hulu. Because of licensing contracts ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" comes with a commercial at the beginning and end of each episode and NBC's "The Blacklist" cannot be shown on Hulu. CBS All Access runs the occasional ad for other CBS shows.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I have no need for CBS All Access without the show, so I will not be paying CBS for access to the programming.

If I did not have a local broadcaster irradiating my home with their signal I might consider a subscription - but not for one show.

5. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    If I had OTA signals for CBS, ABC, Fox, and NBC, I'm pretty sure I would not spend money on either CBS All Access or Hulu. I would have to have a DVR with three receivers....

6. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I will, at least, give this series a change. My interest in Star Trek waned after the conclusion of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, I lost interest after a season of Star Trek: Voyager, and never regained it in Star Trek: Enterprise even though I was a Scott Bakula fan from Quantum Leap. The problem is that the writing went downhill, and thus the quality of the show. The studio meddled in the show to much.

I saw the first trailer, and my already subdued reactions were notched further downward. This is supposed to take place around TOS's timeframe (10 years before), yet the ship looks more shinier than the TOS ship. I realize that we are looking at over 50 years difference in production, but it doesn't feel right. The look of the Klingons is different than what has been established, but this can be explained away.

7. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    There is, of course, a lot of folks born after the original series (TOS) or even Voyager and Enterprise. Many haven't seen anything but one or more of the recent movies. That this is a prequel to TOS presents some interesting opportunities to reimagine the next couple of hundred years. What they are going to do with that will be interesting. Particularly in anticipation of using modern technology to prepare for the likes of Tribbles. [​IMG]

8. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We watched the two part premier tonight on CBS All Access. It was excellent as premiers go and sets up what could be a stimulating first season for a very good Star Trek series with a really solid core character.

9. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Great!

10. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    As an "old fart trekkie" that has seen every single Star Trek episode/movie when it was originally aired or released in theaters, I found this iteration to be a little too "over the top" and hard to "engage" with. I literally fell asleep half way thru, and not because it was past my bedtime. If it were OTA, I would probably give it a few more episodes, solely because it's titled "Star Trek" before ditching it altogether, but the pilot was no where near good enough to get me to "engage" with this iteration, open my wallet and subscribe to a service for just one series or entice me to go purchase a stick/player to continue to watch on my TV because right now, the only way I could watch would be on my laptop. Beam me up Scotty!

SamC likes this.
  11. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The pilot is actually two episodes available on CBS All Access. Just so everyone knows, "Episode 1" which was aired on the CBS broadcast network is half of the pilot and at the end of the pilot at the end of "Episode 2"...
    most of the characters who you may think are going to be key to the series are dead
    ...leaving us with a complex but well-founded beginning relative to the ongoing Cold-War-type antagonisms between the Klingons and the Federation within the Original Series. Remember, Star Trek: Discovery is a direct prequel to Star Trek: The Original Series, set roughly ten years prior to the beginning of Kirk and company's adventures.

And I've seen all the TV series episodes as an adult beginning with TOS as it aired, but not all the movies. I don't consider myself a "trekkie" as the various TV series didn't all get my full "thumbs up" so I can't claim to be a fan with no reservations. But I am an "old fart."

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  12. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    I thought it was ok. I didn't like the new Klingon look. They say its in the prime timeline but it sure looks like a prequel to the Kelvin timeline, especially with that new Klingon look.

13. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    the first half of the pilot was ok - I have a Fire TV, so just need to decide if CBS All access is worth subscribing to.

14. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    You know I am going have to say NO to cbs access. I feel that I don't need another account. I wish it was on Netflix or Amazon?

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I too fell asleep during the CBS showing last night. Even had it kept me awake, I doubt I would subscribe to All Access.

SamC and edd like this.
  16. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    klingons_star_trek_tos.jpg Kang.jpg
    The Klingon look has changed many times over the years beginning with Star Trek TOS.

17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The Kelvin time line is the same as the prime time line up until the point where the ship from the future arrives (in 2009 Star Trek) and changes the timeline. "10 years before" would be the same timeline.

As for the difference in Klingon physiology, Worf had the best answer (on DS9 "Trials and Tribulations"). "We do not discuss that with outsiders."

18. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    You're wrong there, James. In the 2009 movie, the Kelvin timeline diverges pretty much at the moment of Kirk's birth... remember his mother is giving birth while his father is being killed going down with the ship... and that's all most definitely longer than 10 years before TOS.

I second the notion that this new show feels more like the Kelvin timeline. The look, the style of the show, and the motivations of the characters... I'm okay with that, I just wish they would come out and say it. It's clearly not something that fits in the same history as classic Trek... so they ought not try and pretend.

19. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I think we have to grant some leeway here. It's obvious that the first TV series in over 10 years could not lead 15-year-old new Star Trek viewers into joyfully watching The Original Series (1966–69) with its now primitive film technology. And if you were comfortable with the idea of a Kelvin timeline from the movie, perhaps a Shenzhou timeline from the new TV series would seem eminently reasonable.

20. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Well then ... "Discovery" doesn't occur in my timeline. So I can safely ignore it. :)