1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

‘The Orville’ Occupies Sci-Fi Space ‘Star Trek’ Left Behind En Route To Dystopia

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by James Long, Aug 10, 2017.

1. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    This sounds promising ...

Seth MacFarlane: ‘The Orville’ Occupies Sci-Fi Space ‘Star Trek’ Left Behind En Route To Dystopia

Set four centuries from now, The Orville follows the adventures in the final frontier of the USS Orville, as its human and alien crew tackles the battles, politics and workplace drama of galactic travel.

“I miss the…aspirational place Star Trek used to occupy,” MacFarlane said. “They’ve chosen to go in a different direction,” he said, describing that direction as dystopian. The aspirational space of early Star Trek, MacFarlane maintained, now is “unoccupied.”

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Didn't see a starting date, asked Google, it starts September 10th.

Rich

3. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Watched Orville last night. I thought it was mildly entertaining. There's a number of funnies in the show many may miss.
    Victor Garber plays Admiral Halsey...
    The robotic crew member is a craylon (?)(ceylon?)
    The bad guys are the Krill!
    I'm sure I missed a number of things

4. DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN Legend

Oct 13, 2009
    SALEM,MISSOU...
    I really like this show

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

5. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Not bad, I'll watch the next one or two before I decide.

6. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I missed it but it should be on DISH PTAT from last night (and will reair tomorrow night at 9pm ET for non-Hopper customers).

7. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    There are no transporter to "beam me up."

8. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    I 100% agree that ST has long ago lost its "asperational" view of the future, becoming a dark brooding mixture of dystopia and political preaching.

I watched this new show. It was OK, and OK might be good enough in its regular slot against football on the one hand and estrogen-soaked counter programming on the other in its regular Thursday time slot, but comedy-drama is hard to pull off. It is hard to pull off the a dramatic scene with characters and situations designed to be funny.

boukengreen likes this.
  9. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    But they definitely took advantage of the need for a shuttlecraft (at least in this first episode).

dod1450 likes this.
  10. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It's fun and, at times, a little funny. It's imperfect, at times deliberately.

With "Star Trek Discovery" starting on CBSAA on September 24 it will be interesting to see if "Discovery" is a dystopian downer. The impression given by the big delay is that whatever imperfections it will have, and it will have some, will not be deliberate and they have spent tons of money over-thinking the show. But maybe not, one can hope.

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The Orwell seems to be deliberately "not Trek". The polished quasi-millitary professional operation is gone. This crew is normal with normal problems. They even go to the bathroom.

It will be interesting to see where the series goes. A little romance, a little intregue.

Some of the characters seem to be based on Trek favorites. Hopefully the series does not become too much of a parody.

12. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I enjoyed it and will continue to watch. I do wonder if the lack of a transporter is to make it different from Star Trek? Much of the rest is obviously based on Star Trek, Take Lt. Commander Bortus a super serious alien with one name. Sound like Spock? Or Isaac, who other than not looking human could be Data, or even the bridge which other than the front viewscreen looking like a window is just like the Enterprise

13. balboadave

balboadave Legend

Mar 3, 2010
    I think I like that name better than The Orville.

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Oops and yes.

15. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    It was ok, think we need to give it a few weeks, for them to set the story line up?...The EX wife thing.....His personality.....The dude is out there, way way out there.....So I expect, non normal programming from him....

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I like this review (caution: spoilers in the linked article for the first episode)

‘The Orville’ Is Better Than Seth MacFarlane–Meets–‘Star Trek’ Might Sound

Taking the perfect world of Star Trek and asking, “OK, but what are the normal people doing?” is a clever premise, although as A Million Ways to Die in the West showed, MacFarlane’s capable of taking a clever premise and whiffing on it. There are other obstacles, such as the fact that any Star Trek parody will invite comparison with the note-perfect Galaxy Quest as long as that film is in living memory. Most of all, I worried that MacFarlane, whose humor is frequently crude and cruel, would turn his guns on Star Trek’s sometimes overpowering message of diversity and inclusivity, making the idea that we ought to be good to each other into the show’s punch line. The crew introduction set up jokes about sexism and affirmative action that left me terrified of how the auteur of Ted might pay them off later.
    . . .
    What we get, then, is a clunky but eminently watchable television show, as well as evidence that—judging by the world he’s created—at least part of MacFarlane aspires to be better than his reputation.

AZ. likes this.
  17. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Thanks for sharing this. It addresses a concern or two I had about the pilot indicating that those concerns are unfounded based on episodes two and three which we haven't seen yet.

Maybe it is because I'm old and remember watching the original as a young adult, but I'm hopeful that there can be a successful "exploring the universe" series again that isn't a dystopian downer.

18. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Although even with 3,000 ships in the Federation Union, someone who serves as a starship captain isn't exactly a "normal" person. :D

19. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I would agree that Captain Mercer is not exactly a "normal" person... :)

20. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    After watching the first two episodes this one is a keep for me. Very enjoyable.