1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

0x0290 Feature Discussion: toggle between 2 recordings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Doug Brott, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    One of the new features for 0x290 is: PREV button to switch between two playback programs. This creates:

Workaround #3 - toggle between 2 recorded programs:
    What are your thoughts on this new feature?

2. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    I don't really see the point. If the shows are both recorded, I'll watch one from start to finish and then watch the other.

Although I can see how it could be used as a DLB workaround. Start recording two shows, then start watching them from the playlist and toggle back and forth. It might work well for two football games or something like that.

3. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    It sounds OK but I sure hope this isn't what DirecTV thinks is better than DLB.

4. woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Can both of the shows be recording at that time? As in life broadcasts? or do the shows need to be completely finished recording?

Can you use the Pause function before you hit the Prev button? if so, it's getting closer to DLB.

5. Starchy77

Starchy77 Godfather

Jul 18, 2008
    Agreed, this might be a nice feature but it is still not even close to DLB. I loved DLB for football games, but the nicest part about having it was that the DVR in my bedroom always stayed tuned to the channel my wife likes to watch. I would change the channel on the other tuner if I watched a program, but we could always switch back to my wife's channel and she could rewind it to see anything that she wanted. The only way to do this currently is to have a permanent "record" set up on her channel which is not reasonable or even possible.

This workaround is ok for watching 2 football games at once, but not multiple ones. And it doesn't come close to addressing the situation I pointed out above for my wife.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It isn't.

7. ShinerDraft

ShinerDraft AllStar

Jan 10, 2008
    Does the 'prev' button only swap between recorded programs, or will it swap between the live feed on the two tuners?

Since one of my OTA tuners is messed up, I'd like a way to force the box to swap to the other one so that I can use the one the works when I want to watch something OTA.

8. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    You missed the word "Workaround" ..

9. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    You can find the discussion for all of the DLB workarounds here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=1852522#post1852522

10. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Everyone watches TV differently, so this feature will not benefit every single person. However, folks that may want to watch two things at once can make use of this feature.

Personally, I watch everything recorded except for live sports. There are some days where I watch two games at the same time .. I'd happily watch just one game, but the scores for all of the games are continually scrolling making it nearly impossible to not know the score of the second game before you watch it.

So on Sunday's, I will use this feature.

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    It's better than what we had before, but still not DLB, and of course, if you are short on hard drive space on your DVR, this won't work.

12. ShinerDraft

ShinerDraft AllStar

Jan 10, 2008
    Hmmm... Not sure if any of those accomplish what I'm after.

I'm not trying to "watch two things at once". I just want to force a swap between the live feed from tuner 1 and the live feed from tuner 2 in order to work around my bad OTA tuner #2.

Dropping the buffered content when I swap is fine.

13. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Why don't you have DirecTV replace the DVR with the bad OTA tuner? I did that a year ago.

14. jake14mw

jake14mw AllStar

Oct 5, 2007
    I think it's a great feature. No, it's not DLB, but it's closer. I may use this in cases where I want to flip between two things. If you pause one, flip to the other, and then flip back, is the first one still paused?

What happens if you have one thing that's recording, and are watching it, and the other tuner is not recording, and hit the Previous button, what happens? ...Actually, now that I'm thinking of it, I guess in the case I described, there is not really "another tuner" is there? I still don't really understand my HR20 that well.

15. ShinerDraft

ShinerDraft AllStar

Jan 10, 2008
    I had a lot of stuff saved up on the HD over the summer. I finally got it all watched, and called a few days before October 1. The CSR said "there's a software update coming that will fix this..." So I had to wait until 290 was released before I could call again..

Hopefully this time they'll give me a replacement, but who knows how many calls it will take and how long it will take for them to get another one shipped. I also figure that there's a chance I'll have to negotiate with them to get an AIM21.

16. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Start both from 'My Playlist' and you will toggle between the recordings. One or both of the programs can be recording when you start playback.

Yes, each time you hit {PREV} the program is paused. The program you switch to will start playing from the previous pause point for that recording.

17. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    This is a great feature and one I missed after dropping cable. The Motorola HDDVR had this feature and I used it all the time. It enables you to watch 2 live programs, but not waste time with commercials.

If two programs are currently recording, we start watching one by pressing {LIST} then {PLAY}. When a commercial comes on, you start watching the other show from the start by pressing {LIST}, then arrow to second program and then press {PLAY}. When the second program gets to a commercial, press {PREV} and you’re back to the first program right where you left off. Then you press the {SKIP 30 Secs} button 4 times to get past the commercial and start watching that show until you catch up with the live feed (by skipping commercials) and then press {PREV} to go back to program 2. You can then keep pressing {PREV} to jump back and forth between the 2 programs and never have to watch a commercial.

18. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I love this feature.

I've been using it to watch two football games at once the last couple of weeks. Works perfectly. At game time, I hit record on both shows, then start watching one from the list. After 10 minutes or so, I select the other from the list. From then on, it's just a matter of hitting the previous button to toggle between the two.

Yes, they can both be recording at the same time.

No need to use the pause function as each show will automatically pause when you hit the previous button.

That's why I actually prefer it to DLB. The downside is that you have to record both, but that's not a big deal to me. The upside is that with DLB, I had to hit pause, then previous (or down ), then play. With DLB, it was 3 button presses each time you wanted to switch. With this technique, it's only 1.

19. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    My thoughts:

1>I would prefer true dual live buffers.

2>I prefer the long standing workaround of one live show using the 90 min buffer and one recorded show.

3>If others find this feature good and useful then it was worth adding.

20. 50+

50+ Legend

May 1, 2008
    This is a great solution for football. My Hr22 has plenty of recording space. It took me a minute to catch on to how it worked. Previous button pausing each show works for me. Great workaround.