1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

0x452 & Whole Home External Devices ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by thekochs, Dec 16, 2010.

1. thekochs

thekochs DirecTV 10yr+ Customer

Oct 7, 2006
    Just saw my HR23-700s now are upgraded to 0x452. Snooping around the Menu I see under Whole Home a "External Devices" section. What is this ? What/How can I use ? I apologize but I've been so busy at work that have not been on Forum for awhile and was hoping for quick FYI.

Any other cool/new features for 0x452 ? :D

Thx !!!!

2. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    The pushout is just starting to rollout the past few days on this new release, and for a number of models.

There is alot of discussion in other threads about them, including the speed, stability, search tweaks, and a few "under the hood" things cited.

Here's just one of those threads...

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2658652#post2658652

3. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    To actually answer your question... The External Devices section in Whole Home now is for you to allow a new feature called IP Control. You can now control your DVR via commands sent via IP. It's not as glamourous as it seems really. Basically you can see what is being watched on your DVR, what's in your playlist, issue key presses without having to use the remote and a few other little things. You can't use it to schedule recordings, modify your ToDo List, etc.

I'm sure the Mods will post more documentation shortly.

4. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    That sounds like an interesting concept.:)

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yet... Who knows what possibilities it will allow...

- Merg

6. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Very true, but I'm not holding my breath. :)

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    There are three options under External Devices.
    Each can be set to Block or Allow.
    These options are:
    External Access
    Current Program
    Recordings

I guess time will tell what these do.

8. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    I'd anticipate that early next year we'll see some actual purpose behind these IP configuration additions. As others have stated....there are alot of possibilities what might be done with all this, and there's plenty of speculation in other threads about it.

9. Chip Moody

Chip Moody Legend

Jul 31, 2007
    These define what other devices on your network can "ask" a given STB for. External Access - if I'm not mistaken - allows for remote control-type calls to be executed. Current Program allows a network device to ask this box "what are you watching right now?". Likewise for Recordings - when that's turned on, the playlist on a DVR can be queried over the network.

- Chip

10. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    I already posted about what they do above.

11. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Oh there are tons of possibilities sure, but I don't think we'll see them because I don't think IP Control was developed for us. It was developed for systems integrators and designers, not your everyday end user.

12. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    That's probably true....that's OK...let them do the neat and hard work...then we get more capabilities. Works for me.

13. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Wouldn't it be nice if you could use the browser of your choice and log into the DVR using it's IP address. There could be a nice html based interface for whatever. But, then this could stress an already overworked processor.

14. Chip Moody

Chip Moody Legend

Jul 31, 2007
    Yes, and good point. The interface is there now for an external processor to get data from your DVR, then >that< processor gets to do the work of arranging & presenting the information to you. :) Now it's just up to 3rd parties to develop these apps. (Or wait for Copilot, which while not browser-based, might do what you're looking for)

- Chip

15. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    You mean something like this? :D

Attached Files:

16. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    That's a start. :)

17. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Yeah, and that's all IP Control can do, for now. In fact the description I can't even get from IP Control, I get that from Tribune's data.

Oh, and some things you can't tell just from the image. If I click on the remote control icon I get an on screen remote control I can use, and if I click on the movie slate icon I get the playlist for that DVR.

I'll be adding a quicktune type screen soon. Hopefully by then we'll have more functions in IP Control and I can expand further.

18. waltz49

waltz49 AllStar

Nov 19, 2010
    Sounds similar to my remote from a web browser or mobile phone. (there are some old screen shots there)
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=186693

Since I'm using just AJAX at the moment, I can't fetch the JSON that contains current program, recorded lists, version info, etc but the possibilities there are interesting.

By the way, I just installed 452 about 10 minutes ago. The IP control has been in these DVRs for a long time and are not new with 452. However, 452 does seem to be significantly slower at processing IP commands than previous firmware and they did block the default screen at port 8080 which used to have some instructions on using IP control.

Edit: Sorry to bump an old thread, but I wanted to correct an error on my part... The default page at port 8080 does get a 403 (authenticatin error), but the http//:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/info/getOptions screen returns a json file with much more info than the original screen did... I rushed to hasty judgement (which some may have noticed I am, I'm sorry to say, prone to do when I'm up 'til 4am). Sorry