1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

0X4d2 ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dod1450, Nov 13, 2011.

1. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    I have a HR24/100 and I did a force download that had found 0x4D1 with no problems. Now I had noticed withiin 6 hours I have 0x4D2. Why was 0x4d2 not available when I did a force update.
    What are 0x4d2 fixes or improvements? I did call D* and they were not able to tell me about 0x4D2 updates.

2. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    If you are force downloading software I wouldn't expect DIRECTV CSR's to be able to help you.

Can I ask why you needed to force a download?

3. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    The reason for a force download. I just received a new hr-24 that had replace my HR-22 dvr tuner

4. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    There is nothing new in these releases, they are just maintenance releases.

5. needmorespeed

needmorespeed New Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What is a maintenance release, what exactly do they do?
    Can you post information about this release?

My HD DVR, I believe its the HR21, has been extremely slow the last couple weeks. As in, push a button or three and 3-5 minutes later it quickly performs the 3 button pushes. Then you're stuck again waiting a few minutes. The guide would also display wrong information or just refresh the same set of channels over and over again. This happens in all menus, changing channel up/down, with or without something recorded. It's all the time. Video didn't freeze though, it would continue to play whatever was being played.

Yesterday afternoon it started working normally. I wondered if there was a update and checked online. Yesterday my machine was showing "0X4d2, today, 2:30am". I don't remember the exact time, but I believe it was early AM.

Before yesterday afternoon my box was acting like it was overloaded, like your PC can get when you're trying to do too much.
    Do these updates repair this type of issue?
    I tried clearing nvram a week or two ago it did nothing to help the problem.
    I also changed the guide display without any luck.
    Turning the box off, letting it sit unplugged and turning it back on did nothing to fix the problem.

If the problem comes back, is there anything I can do from time to time, maintenance wise (clearing ram, temp files, etc.), to speed up the box?

6. poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    People keep saying that, but yet offer no logical explanation as to why a 'maintenance release' is needed just as a new NR is being rolled out.

My theory (until someone can come up with a better one) is that the HDGUI is causing problems for some people and this may be an attempt to resolve the problem ahead of time.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Because the new release will be very slow in making its way to everyone's receivers. Our friends at DIRECTV found some things they wanted to address in the meantime. I don't think that's a bad thing.

8. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Maybe one of them is no skipping DirecTV commercials. I'll have to test that theory. ;)

9. rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr Legend

Jan 30, 2011
    ox4d2 was not put out for hr24s. It is primarily for the hr23 to add the diagnostic code 24 and for stability increase. Hope this helps.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Personally, I like the theory that it is locally inserted commercials that can't be skipped. The ones downloaded to the DVR and inserted into programming. Just saying, it doesn't seem it's just DirecTV commercials.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    But if the download is a complete install, how would that help? I don't think new releases are just a delta.

12. poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    One of my DVRs still has a very old VOD on/off menu option that has never gone away despite numerous NRs and the removal of that option. So a new release does not always replace everything. Just speculating that it could be easier to patch an existing NR, than fiddle with the new NR and possibly cause even more problems.

13. needmorespeed

needmorespeed New Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What is a maintenance release, what exactly do they do?
    Can someone post detailed information about this release?

Many claim to know what this update does, where are you getting this information?
    Does DirecTV send out info sheets to techs?

14. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    A maintenance release is nothing more than a minor change that DIRECTV wanted to make to the existing firmware.

Nobody is given the detailed information on the release.

If there are major firmware changes or features added then DIRECTV will give training on the changes or additions.

Sorry but that's all the info that I have.

15. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    A maintenance release would also replace the old NR in the regular stream. 04D2 hasn't done that.

16. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    Ok Drew, you tell 'em what it is. :)

17. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Don't really know. With a report of CenturyLink being added, I say it is a targeted release to those users.

The last time 0x04D2 was massively release in Sep, it was quickly over written by it predecessor 0x04D1. Not seeing any posts of that happening. I say 0x04D2, this time around, is a targeted feature release rather than a general maintenance release.

Of course with DirecTV not having a public site stating what's new or fixed in each new version, it is all guess work.

18. Bosox07

Bosox07 AllStar

Feb 2, 2008
    :icon_lol: