DBSTalk Forum banner

0x66C Not In Update Stream Anymore

4K views 51 replies 12 participants last post by  dravenstone 
#1 ·
This morning Firmware Watcher showed that the apparently problematic update, 0x66C, was not in the update stream for my HR24/100 anymore and an older(?) firmware, 0X62C was now current. 0x062C seems to be now current for all HR's. I forced an update and received 0X62C and my menu delays have apparently gone away. YMMV!

Edit: Lost all my Season Links with the "downdate", but all other settings, Favorites and recordings are there!

#2 ·
I guess that sometimes it is good to be at the back of the line. My 3 receivers never got the update. Their last update was in December 2012.

#4 ·
Hotelone said:
Hi Jimmy - is my recollection correct that 0X62C was the previous release?
It was...released on 11/28/2012. All my receivers got it just before Christmas

#7 ·
veryoldschool said:
066C was last in the stream: 03:57:59 03/05/2013
This is a pushed update, so it gets slowly pushed overnight, and then pulled from the stream off of tp 21

062C is on tp 30 for everyone to pull.
So I'lll probably get 0x66C again tonight or soon? :mad:

#9 ·
I would suggest that folks not force download the firmware to their receivers without fully understanding what they are doing. You may end up downloading an older version and losing all of your programming, series links or just plain bricking your receiver. When DIRECTV wants your receiver to have a particular version they will send it to you and it will be automatic.

There are a lot of people that know how to do it and will tell others how to do it but always fail to mention the risks.

#10 ·
Scott Kocourek said:
I would suggest that folks not force download the firmware to their receivers without fully understanding what they are doing. You may end up downloading an older version and losing all of your programming, series links or just plain bricking your receiver.
So, you know someone who did this and had this happen?
OH WAIT, that was me. :eek2:

#12 ·
Scott Kocourek said:
I would suggest that folks not force download the firmware to their receivers without fully understanding what they are doing. You may end up downloading an older version and losing all of your programming, series links or just plain bricking your receiver. When DIRECTV wants your receiver to have a particular version they will send it to you and it will be automatic.

There are a lot of people that know how to do it and will tell others how to do it but always fail to mention the risks.
I'm almost willing to take this risk again (0x66C was back as of this AM) since the HR24 is unusable about 50% of the time with this firmware version. I've been with D* since the beginning and this is the first time an update has caused such a mess.:mad:

#14 ·
As a further note 0x66C seems to somehow make the box have more trouble finding and utilizing the external drive. Many restarts are needed until it finds the drive. :confused:

#15 ·
Hotelone said:
As a further note 0x66C seems to somehow make the box have more trouble finding and utilizing the external drive. Many restarts are needed until it finds the drive. :confused:
Could there be a problem with the external drive that is causing all of this?

What happens if you run it on the internal drive for a while with the new update?

#16 ·
Hotelone said:
I'm almost willing to take this risk again (0x66C was back as of this AM) since the HR24 is unusable about 50% of the time with this firmware version. I've been with D* since the beginning and this is the first time an update has caused such a mess.:mad:
You're really better off taking Scott's advice.

#17 ·
veryoldschool said:
Could there be a problem with the external drive that is causing all of this?

What happens if you run it on the internal drive for a while with the new update?
The same symptoms (inconsistant, very slow menu response to remote commands) occurred when booted from the internal drive. The external passed all the internal HD diagnostics. There have been enough reports of this happening to others immediately after this update, and reports that D* says that this is a "known issue" that makes me point my finger at them and this update, not a failing HD. I'm curious since many have had no problems with 0x66C whether it might be box specific, but some HR34 owners have reported similar symptoms with the newest update that my HR34 has yet to receive. Only my HR24/100 is showing this problem. Needless to say i'm stumped, along with a lot of others, waiting for relief from D* unless anyone has any ideas.

#18 ·
Hotelone said:
The same symptoms (inconsistant, very slow menu response to remote commands) occurred when booted from the internal drive. The external passed all the internal HD diagnostics. There have been enough reports of this happening to others immediately after this update, and reports that D* says that this is a "known issue" that makes me point my finger at them and this update, not a failing HD. I'm curious since many have had no problems with 0x66C whether it might be box specific, but some HR34 owners have reported similar symptoms with the newest update that my HR34 has yet to receive. Only my HR24/100 is showing this problem. Needless to say i'm stumped, along with a lot of others, waiting for relief from D* unless anyone has any ideas.
Through your own admission you stated you forced a update. There are risks with forcing a update and you may have very well made a bad situation worse. How is that DirecTV's fault?

#19 ·
Hotelone said:
Losing recordings and series links are a sign of a significant change [IMO] with this update.
How long have you let this DVR run with the new update?
The slowdown might be because the receiver is busy sorting out things like the guide data and your to do list.

"You might" try staying on the internal [just to ruler out the eSATA], do a double reboot within 30 mins [this flushes all the guide data] and then give it 24 hours. By this time it should either be better or not, and if better, you can move back to the eSATA.

#24 ·
MysteryMan said:
Through your own admission you stated you forced a update. There are risks with forcing a update and you may have very well made a bad situation worse. How is that DirecTV's fault?
I forced an update after almost a week with an unresponsive box. The older firmware worked perfectly, but I lost only my season links, a trivial price to pay for a working DVR. If it were possible I'd stay with 0X62C but obviously it's not. I didn't "make a bad situation worse" I fixed a bad situation temporarily by loading 0X62C. My comments about having trouble booting from the external were only speculative. In my opinion, there's enough evidence now to show that 0x66A/B/C has made many boxes occasionally to consistently unresponsive that it isn't up for debate anymore. In my view that's "DirecTV's fault".

#25 ·
Hotelone said:
I forced an update after almost a week with an unresponsive box. The older firmware worked perfectly, but I lost only my season links, a trivial price to pay for a working DVR. If it were possible I'd stay with 0X62C but obviously it's not. I didn't "make a bad situation worse" I fixed a bad situation temporarily by loading 0X62C. My comments about having trouble booting from the external were only speculative. In my opinion, there's enough evidence now to show that 0x66A/B/C has made many boxes occasionally to consistently unresponsive that it isn't up for debate anymore. In my view that's "DirecTV's fault".
My HR24-500s were updated with 0x62c back in December. Since then the rapid channel changing with my HR24-500s has slowed. The software may be at fault or something else may have caused the issue to begin shortly after the download. Without knowing for sure I can hardly point to DirecTV's firmware as the cause. Again, it's better to identify the problem rather than to point and blame.

#26 ·
Hotelone said:
I forced an update after almost a week with an unresponsive box. The older firmware worked perfectly,
I'm going to side step the "fault game", and look into ways to try to get this HR24-100 to work with the new software, as it isn't going away, and I had it on my HR24-500 without these problems.
Those having problems tend to think they're more widespread than they may be because nobody posts about not having problem. :lol:

I would remove the eSATA and flush the guide. Then see if anything improves over 24 hours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.