1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

0x80d RVU Issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jkal25, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Sep 9, 2017 #1 of 12
    jkal25

jkal25 New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    There is something wrong with the 0xd80 firmware and non-Samsung RVU clients.

I have an LG TV and was using the RVU client in it with an HR-44 since I got the TV in December 2016. No DECA involved, no problems. As soon as I got the 0xd80 firmware on the HR-44, the LG TV kept reporting the location is not authorized. If I hard cycle the power on the TV (unplug it), I can see a picture, but as soon as I cycle the power on the TV, the unauthorized message comes back. Tech replaced the HR-44 with an HR-54, no change. I also have a Samsung RVU TV (also no DECA) and that's been working fine on the HR-44 or HR-54. The timing aligns perfectly with the 0xd80 firmware. All the networking is back to a 1Gb switch.

I had a tech here today 6 hours, put in DECA's, still nothing. The tech would not leave a C61K to replace the RVU in the TV because it was a service call and he couldn't provide new equipment, so I asked DTV to just send one, but they had to roll a truck again because a tech needs to setup the C61K.

I do have an escalated case with DTV. I did notice that on the tech's Android device, the MAC address of the LG TV was the sn and not the MAC, but he couldn't change it, and when we called DTV they said in their system the MAC was correct.

My gut says is that this 0xd80 firmware tightened some security features and my LG TV never was setup right on my account but this firmware brought that to the forefront. I can't prove it, but that's my guess. This'll never get resolved though unless DTV really digs into the 0x80d code...

I'm curious if there are any LG RVU users with a Genie running 0xd80?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    you forget to provide FW version of your TVs, especially RVU client version
    without the info it's impossible to compare different configs

3. jkal25

jkal25 New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    DTV has it all, but if I can get help here too, that would be even better and beyond what I was expecting... I was just looking for company for my misery. :)

It's an LG OLED65C6P running 05.30.02 and the DTV app is version 2.2.14 (from 8/26/2016). The HR54 is 0xd80.

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    This problem has been reported by several people. It's an incompatibility between the LG RVU and the newest DirecTV release 0xd80. It might be a bug in the DirecTV firmware, or ic could be a problem with the LG which the new DirecTV firmware has "exposed" (since the new firmware works fine with other TVs). Whichever, nothing you or a service tech can do to fix it. Either LG or DirecTV (or both) has to come up with a solution.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    From your post it would seem the LG set is at fault...if the rest of the TVs don't have this problem...

Rich

6. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Yes, almost certainly the LG. But something happened with the latest DirecTV firmware that exposed the issue with the LG: the new firmware is working slightly differently from the old firmware

Rich likes this.
  7. jstewart0131

jstewart0131 New Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Ohio
    My 2017 Sony XBR-65A1E is doing the same thing with the 0xd80 firmware so it is not an issue that is limited to the LG RVU firmware. Whether the next DirecTV firmware fixes it or if we will have to wait for a firmware update on the RVU side is yet to be seen.

8. edenkers

edenkers Mentor

Dec 17, 2007
    I have a LG OLED65C6P TV which is a listed DirecTV ready TV. It currently has SW File Version 05.30.02 and the DirecTV Ready app version 2.2.14. My home network is wired for full Gigabit and I will used a wired connection over wireless whenever possible. The TV is Ethernet connected directly to my router.

I have a Genie Gen 2 (HR44-700). It is Ethernet connected directly to my router. I also have an HR22-100, which is connected to my network with a receiver DECA. There are no other DECA units in my setup.

Everything was working perfectly until the Genie was updated with Software version 0xd80. That is when I started having the issue with the "This location is not authorized" message and no picture. Sometimes a RBR on the Genie would fix this, but more often it would not until I powered off the LG TV too.

After contacting DirecTV support yesterday and not getting any resolution, they setup a on site support call. The technician who came to my home has only worked for DirecTV for the last 4 months, so no help there. However, he did call his supervisor who told him to call their support line, which we did. He left about 30 minutes ago and I am now working again.

I will sum up what happened during the phone call with DirecTV's online support engineer (I think they called him an ISS).

The online support engineer said that they were having reports of people with LG TV's using RVU were having issues after the last Genie software update.

He said that before we can start to do any real troubleshooting, my location must be setup and wired with an official supported DirecTV configuration. That meant putting DECAs where they needed to be.

Once I unplugged the Ethernet cable from my TV and put a powered DECA at the back of the LG TV and connected it's Ethernet cable to the TV, it immediately got connected to the Genie and I had a picture.

We also connected a powered DECA to my router and then removed the Ethernet cable from the Genie since it has a DECA unit built into it.

The technician left and everything has been working perfectly since.

I do think that there is some issue with the LG TV's RVU that was exposed after the last software update to the Genie. Why else would everything have been working perfectly for the last 6 months or so.

I hope that at some point, DirecTV get things worked with LG, perhaps an update to the DirecTV RVU app is needed from LG. I don't know, but for now, I am happy once again.

I am posting this so that other's who are having this issue may follow what we did and get working again.

Rich likes this.
  9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Or DIRECTV is not checking and not concerned about people using Ethernet connections instead of approved deca connections to RVU tvs, and this is what happens sometimes because of that. I actually think that is the most realistic reason.

10. edenkers

edenkers Mentor

Dec 17, 2007
    I did the RVU setup myself with activation done with DirecTV support via the phone. If they would have told me that the RVU requires a DECA I would have put one on a long time ago. Perhaps maybe I would never have experienced the issue after the software update in the first place.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just gets more interesting. Now it's on other sets than the LGs.

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    D* not concerned about issues other than issues with the 17s? I don't remember this kind of emphasis on any D* device in the past.

Rich