1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 or 4 or 5 oceans

Discussion in 'The OT' started by fluffybear, Aug 20, 2012.

1. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    My daughter came home today with an assignment and was asked to list the Oceans. She had Pacific, Atlantic, Arctic, & Indian down so I asked her where was the Antarctic Ocean and she said that she was told that did not exist so I asked Mrs. Fluffybear and she says that she was taught in school that there was only 1 ocean (I understand the idea behind this). Anyway, I googled this and found a number of articles stating that a group titled the International Hydrographics Organization (IHO) had been debating the Antarctic Ocean existence since the 1950's and finally agreed sometime in the 1990's to call it "Southern Ocean" and formally ratify it as the 5th ocean in 2000.

So what were you taught in school and/or believe?

2. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Dunno.

We started with one 'X' Million years ago, and according to plate tectonics in another 'X' Million years there will again be only one.

So go figure.

Wiki lists 5 by the way. Or 1, depending on how you read it.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Then similar question arise, how many continents ? 4,5,6 or 7 ?

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And is Australia a continent or Oceania? And I refuse to say we only have 8 planets.

5. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Oceans 11

6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    We have the following oceans -
    Arctic, Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian.
    There are numerous Seas.

There are the following continents -
    North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Antartica, And Australia

7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Five oceans then, five oceans now.
    We lost one planet, no biggie.
    Plate tectonics was an emerging theory, now accepted as fact.
    Smoking was iffy; now we know it's fatal.
    Cranberries- never believed they were cancer agents, not even mid sixties.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    America (or you think Panama channel is divide it ?), Euroasia (or you think Ural mountains would divide it too ?), Africa, Antartica, And Australia.

9. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    How many sides does a circle have?

2 the inside and the outside.

10. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Then would we not have only a single ocean??

11. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That's the problem with oceans and continents... it isn't cut and dry like you want it to be in your head.

Arguably North & South America are one continent just like Europe and Asia are one continent, if you apply the same rules that qualify other continents like Africa... but then we have, for lack of a better phrase, "social continents" that make us want to count Europe and Asia separate because of the cultural differences much like we do North & South America.

Oceans are even more dicey since by their very definition they must connect to one another... Ponds and puddles are the only things that are discrete really... lakes are localized but are connected eventually back to those same "oceans"...

It's a weird thing to teach really... and to some extent it is arbitrary and things were named by people who "discovered" them in their travels... whereas if you knew where all the stuff was before you started naming things, we probably wouldn't have multiple ocean names.

12. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Why ain't we gots no Artica? Is there no land mass underneath it, or is there but it's too small to be a continent? I.e., smaller than Australia, but maybe bigger than NZ??

13. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    One could make a case for calling Greenland a continent as well.

I don't think any landmass has been discovered under the Arctic ice sheet besides the already claimed islands.

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It would be a tiny continent. Australia is about 2 million square miles larger. Of course looking at a map based on the Mercator Projection, Greenland looks to be about the same size as Australia. I'm sure Denmark wouldn't mind having their own continent though :)

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Hence the need for the Peter's Projection Map. http://youtu.be/n8zBC2dvERM ;)

16. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    You know... I wonder how many adults still don't realize that many times the flat maps they are looking at exaggerate the size of the land near the poles... I get the impression talking to people sometimes that they do think Greenland is huge.

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yeah, you've got to alter something to put it on a flat map. I was pretty surprised to see it make a mainstream TV show on West Wing.

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I think everyone seen a small Earth globes with right proportions of continents, oceans, countries. Each student in each school used it during educational hours. And at home - my kids have it.

19. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    When I was a kid in school we had Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, Antarctic and Arctic Oceans. The Antarctic Ocean became the Southern Ocean about 6 years after I got out of High School I think.

In Junior High we had North America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, Antarctica and Australia for continents. By the time I reached High School Europe and Asia had become "Eurasia" so we were down to 6 continents.

Don't even get me started on what countries have come and gone in that time.

I'd hate to work at Rand McNally.

20. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Heh, except I am sure management liked it: the more changes, the better! :lol: