100 Channels of HD by the end of the year? - Misquote

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by DJ Lon, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ Lon

DJ Lon Legend

Nov 3, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    This was in my local paper this morning:

New customers can get the company's top-of-the-line digital recorder for free. It's a dual-tuner high-definition unit and can feed its signals to two televisions at once. The unit holds 55 hours of high-def programming, or 350 hours of standard definition programming.

High definition programming costs $20 a month. New customers get that fee waived for the first six months. Keeping the digital recorder active costs an additional $5.98 per month.

More channels are available for more cash. Each upgrade adds both more standard channels and more high-definition channels. Animal PlanetHD comes with one tier. The next one up adds the high-def versions of Golf Channel, National Geographic and a few others.

For both new and existing customers, if you subscribe to a premium service, such as HBO, or the $5 per month package of local channels, its simulcast HD version automatically comes to you.

Parker McConachie, a spokesman for Dish Network, says the service offers 75 high-definition channels now and will get to 100 by the end of the year. He also says the Dish digital recorder features a connection for an external hard drive. That means you can store programs - say all of The Sopranos or Ken Burns' The War - on a separate drive you can store like a library.

"That's something we believe puts us ahead of the competition," McConachie says.

Details: dishnetwork.com.

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/arizonaliving/articles/1128highdef1128.html

75 channels? How are they counting them? :lol: :sure:

2. DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    Simple - You count every single HD RSN, local feed, national channel, and HD PPV.

You have to be a very, very, very special person (*cough* Charlie *cough, cough*) to see all of these channels but it can be done.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Yep, they are including RSNs in that count. E* has 42 before RSNs, 64 with RSNs, 71 with PPVs and 75 in markets with locals. Pad further by counting sports and Big10 alternate channels if needed. :)

What I key in on is the "100 by the end of the year". They can only reach that by counting all they have (even the laughable ones) and adding 18 more channels. So ignore the count and see it as a statement that they will add 18 to 25 channels in the next five weeks.

Not bad. Get there!

4. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    GOD!! I hope that they do add 18 -25 hd channels by years end. I just hope that they are regular channels we want and not more rsns, sports alternates etc. IF they did add real hd channels that people want like USA, FX, Sci-Fi, CNN, Weather Channel etc, this would go a very, very, long way in evening up the score with DIRECTV. DISH must have reclaimed a lot of bandwith if they have room for 18-25 hd channels . Also must be using the better mpeg 4 encoders that allow upto 6 hd channels per transponder rather than the 4 they do today. I could see many people that were considering the switch to the competition ,being more than satisfied to stay with DISH if they do add more hd next month . WHat a great Christmas present if they do this. I wonder if the spotbeams on 61.5 will be fully up and running to also launch some hd locals too? THis would be great to make DISH look like they are still keeping up with the competition.

December is only 2 days away. I am hoping that this will be the month that we finally see more REAL hd channels that people are clamoring far.

5. tedb3rd

tedb3rd Godfather

Feb 2, 2006
    Yes, I want more HD. But not just strech-o-vision that eats up bandwidth from the good HD channels.

It would be a great Christmas gift to have more HD, but I would be just as happy knowing that Dish does not / did not add HD-crap channels to say they have 'more' than DirecTV. I'm sure there are some HD public interest channels out there, but, nah--save bandwidth for the good stuff.

6. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Based on what D* has and E* doesn't (can't add what isn't out there) ...
    RSNs ... 3 available ... CSN New England, FSN Bay Area and NESN (YES isn't there in SD, don't expect it).
    Alternatives ... E* has enough to cover the variants. I would like to see the "24/7" HD RSNs stay up 24/7 (although that doesn't change the count).

TV Channels ... 15 available ... Bravo, Cartoon, CNN, CNBC, CMTV, Fox Business (SD needed too), Fuel, FX, MTV, Sci-Fi, Speed, Spike, USA, VH-1, TWC.

HD Only Channels ... 2 available ... MGM and Smithsonian.

Premium Channels ... 4 west feeds of what E* has, plus 6 others ... Show Too, Starz! Comedy, Starz! Edge, Starz! Kids and Family and TMC East and West.

30 channels to choose from ... 18-25 of those would be good. If E* started with the HD premiums and RSNs and picked up the HD Only channels they would have to add three to ten of the "TV channels" to get 18-25.

In any case, E* will only be 5-12 channels away from D* if they can meet this announcement.

7. jacmyoung

jacmyoung Hall Of Fame

Sep 8, 2006
    WOW, this "100 by year end" is definitely a good find coming from E*.

If they light up spots on 61.5, would that clear some room to add more HD locals on the left coast? We are still missing FOX and CW HD's.

8. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    James, Don't you think that this news article should be put as a headline on the front page of this website for DISH? This seems to be the news we have all been wanting to hear.

9. jacmyoung

jacmyoung Hall Of Fame

Sep 8, 2006
    Well hate to be a party pooper, but just got an email back from the person quoted in the article, the 100 HD's was a mis-quote.

10. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Good idea ... split from uplink activity.

Drat. Well at least we found out quickly. :(

(No need to homepage a misquote.)

11. RASCAL01

RASCAL01 Godfather

Aug 1, 2006
    I have seen something simular. This site states that E* already has Spike, Sci Fi, Speed, FX, Bio, and Yes in HD and others comming soon. I have not seen these in the program guide so maybe they will by out by next Charlie Chat. I do not know if this is true but check out this web site.

www.afreedish.com/dish-network-dishhd.html

12. champion6

champion6 Cool Member

Dec 6, 2004
  13. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    :confused: Well, let's see.
    We actually have 38 HD channels including one HD pay-per-view according to E*'s channel card and the ad I have in front of me, without locals. So 75 less 38 is 37 vapor-channels (meaning nearly invisible to over 30% of their customers). And, of course, those 25 "new" HD channels could be vapor-channels - locals somewhere, or regional sports, or PPV, or anything but a broad spectrum of cable channels that should include USA, FX, SciFi, etc.

14. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    That's a dealer site, who, I suspect has questionable ethics at best.

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Any site that says E* has YES in HD is one to avoid (in my humble opinion).

As noted above, there are not many "vapor" channels left to add. There will have to be some meat in the pie if they add 25 channels.

16. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    OH well I got all excited about next month and now BUMMER. I sure hope we see something by the way of new HD channels by next month anyway. I can't see Charlie doing a chat next month & not addressing this in some way. I sure hope he does.

17. allen98311

allen98311 AllStar

Jan 18, 2006
  18. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yeah, and it says:
    I guess they didn't know I love SciFi, USA, FX,......

19. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003

I looked at this site and realized that some of the channels that they are advertising coming soon are from DIrectv's website including : THE 101. THis channel is on DIRECTV. So it looks like that they grabbed quite a lot of the hd channels from Directv and combined them with DISH's to get that great hd list.

20. texaswolf

texaswolf Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2007
    ummm yeah, looks like they combined packages from both providers...question is...how liable is dish for this dealers false advertising? I mean those channels are listed as now, not to come....be great if they are coming...but thats a bad ad for potential customers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.