1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

101 odds sometimes at 0 !?!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Tebbens, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tebbens

Tebbens AllStar

Nov 10, 2004
    Current Setup...

Slimline
    Spaun WBS41602NF
    4 HR20's
    4 R15's

Just installed a Slimline during the summer.
    Over the past few days I've noticed all the Odd Transponders on 101 at 0 with
    Evens normal and in the 90's. All other SAT's are ok. The seems to happen only
    when I first power up one of the receivers. It goes back to normal after a while,
    although the Odds still seem to be aprox 6-8 points lower then the Evens on 101.
    All the other Satellites have good signals...high 80's to mid/high 90's.

Its been very cold here lately, and I'm thinking this is a bad 101 LNB.

Any ideas / suggestions before I go changing the LNB ?

Thanks !

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I'd check the 13 volt cable. If you get odd transponders off the 99 SAT, then it isn't the cable as they both use the 13 volt "no tone" line.

3. Tebbens

Tebbens AllStar

Nov 10, 2004
    If the odds on 101 are 0 and the odds on 99b are ok, would you think this is a bad LNB ?

4. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    That would make the most sense, since they both are driven by the same voltage [same cable].

5. Tebbens

Tebbens AllStar

Nov 10, 2004
    While watching a movie tonight the picture started breaking up.
    I quickly checked and found 101 odds at 0 AND 99b odds at 0, everything else normal.

The cables to the dish look fine, infact I'm using 1694a with Canare F-Type.

Think I'm going to replace the multiswitch, I'm not sure what else to do.
    Any suggestions ?

Thanks!

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I'd swap the 13 & 18 Volt cables at the multi-switch. If the cable is bad, then odds will come back and evens will go out. If it's the multi-switch, then the odds will still be out.

7. Tebbens

Tebbens AllStar

Nov 10, 2004
    The Spaun WBS 412602NF has inputs Labeled Power,1,2,3,4....nothing labeled 13 or 18 volt.
    I thought it didn't matter how the Slimlines 4 outputs are connected to the multiswitch.
    Neither the Slimline LNB or the Multiswitch is marked.

This sucks.... do you know how much those Spauns go for !?!? lol

8. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Check this thread for some ideas: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=112453

Basically take the multiswitch out of the equation. Run direct from LNB to a receiver and test all 4 lines to see if one of them is bad.

Basically I had the exact same thing happen to me...bad LNB.

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The multi-switch in the dish doesn't care, the Spaun does, but since it's not labeled, you can either use a volt meter to see, or just swap two at a time until you either see a change in the transponders or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.