1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

101- The Wire - Season Pass options?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by BuffaloDenny, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Jul 7, 2010 #1 of 40
    BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    How do you guys set up a season pass for a program like The Wire which is starting season 1 on 7/18? I can't set it up for new shows only, since these are all repeats. If I set it up for new and repeats, it'll snag all of the multiple showings of each episode. Is a manual recording the best option to avoid getting multiple recordings of the same episode? Just curious what the "best practices" are for this type of scenario.

2. Jul 7, 2010 #2 of 40
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Good question. I need the answer to that myself. I want to get that set in the DVR tonight. Hope someone knows lol.

3. Jul 7, 2010 #3 of 40
    usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    Just curious, why can't you tell it new shows only?

4. Jul 7, 2010 #4 of 40
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Because the show has ended its run. Its not new. I guess it would be classified as in syndication. All episodes are reruns.

5. Jul 7, 2010 #5 of 40
    Casey21

Casey21 Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    I recently set up a recording for Freaks and Geeks on IFC. This is a series from back in 2000. Like the Wire, they're showing all of the shows from the beginning. I set mine up to just tape "new" episodes. After doing so, I checked the ToDo list and it appears it's only recording each new episode weekly. So, maybe the Wire will work the same as well.

6. Jul 7, 2010 #6 of 40
    bearcat250

bearcat250 Legend

Feb 19, 2004
    I have Brotherhood on the 101 set up to record repeats and all the dvr records is the Wednesday 9 PM show every week. I would think that this would work for the Wire.

7. Jul 7, 2010 #7 of 40
    Dcm210

Dcm210 Godfather

Jan 17, 2009
    yea just set it to record the wire on a certain day and time every week.

8. Jul 7, 2010 #8 of 40
    DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    As long as the guide data correctly identifies each episode, it will only record 1 copy of each episode, even if you select to record new and repeats.

9. Jul 7, 2010 #9 of 40
    BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    Thanks guys! What season is Brotherhood on now - have they started season 3 yet? I really enjoyed that show.

Your replies brought up a secondary question that I have never truly been able to figure out. Due to scheduling conflicts, sometimes I want to record a series pass for a show that broadcasts at a later time. For The Wire, for example, the first weekly episode airs at 8:00pm central, and airs again at 11:00pm. How do I get it to record the series at 11:00 every week? Every time I have tried this for other shows, it reverts back to the first airing in subsequent weeks, which would be the 8:00 episode in this case. Hope that all makes sense.

10. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Just set the priority for the conflicting show higher. The highest priority shows will record. If 2 shows of higher priority are recording at 8:00, then it will pick up the 11:00 showing. If there are no conflicts (or only 1 conflict) it will record the 8:00 showing.

11. BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    Thanks - so if I just prefer the later showing, and there are no conflicts, setting up a manual recording is my only option then?

12. pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    I just set it to record new episodes only and so far it's set as a new show would be.

13. BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    Well I went ahead and set it up to record new and repeats. It just scheduled the 8:00 showing. So what I do is go into my to do list, find the show scheduled to record at 8:00, select it and view upcoming, mark the 11:00 to record, then go back and cancel the 8:00. It's manual, but it accomplishes what I want. If there's a better way (other than manual recording) I'd love to hear it!

I do the same thing for Rescue Me. They have an early and a late showing, and I prefer to record the late showing, while keeping Rescue Me in my series pass list (so I don't do manual).

14. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    They're almost done with season 2, but all of season 1 episodes and what has been shown of season 2 are avaliable on demand.

15. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    That's probably the best way. That way, it will pick up the show if it moves times/days or you don't get a chance to reschedule to the 11:00 showing.

Can I ask, sincerely, why do you care which show records? Are they different?

16. MurrayW

MurrayW Legend

Apr 13, 2006
    I can't answer for BuffaloDenny, but the reason I prefer to record later shows is that I would prefer that the recordings happen when I am least likely to be watching TV. For instance, now in the summertime, I will occasionally watch 2 baseball games "almost" live by using the dual buffers and flipping back and forth between the 2 every inning. If a show is recording during this time, I can't use the dual buffers without canceling the recording that is in progress.

17. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    That does make sense. While cancelling a specific episode should trigger the recording of the later episode, there are two drawbacks to that.

1. If you cancel it before the episode starts, it should pick up the next one. However, it does this as a background task. Because of this, it doesn't always show up right away. This can cause confusion about whether it will really record the later episode.

2. If you cancel it in progress, I don't know if will select the later episode.

Either way, it does take the extra step to select the later episode and set it to record. This is a step I would perform either way, just to make sure there is a later episode.

I guess each person's situation is different. If you limit it to the later episode, then you risk it being cancelled and not recording the show at all. For some, that's a bigger problem than having to select the later episode for watching live TV. For others it's a smaller problem.

This would be a smaller problem for all if when a show is cancelled for live TV (whether in progress or about to start), it immediately searches for a later showing and asks if you want to record. I think that would be the ideal solution.

18. BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    Yep, pretty much the same for me. I might be in the minority here, but I still like to watch some "live" TV, and I do have other recordings going on during primetime, so I try to keep at least one tuner available if possible. If I can still double play, all the better.:)

19. pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    Do we know whether this will be true HD?

20. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    It was 4:3 every season.