1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10C0 may have started addressing First Run issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Wolffpack, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 8, 2006 #1 of 79
    Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I received version 10C0 last Friday via 02468. At first I didn't notice anything different between it and 10B8. Then yesterday I added CSI as an SL and noticed there were 5 episodes upcoming on my local CBS channel. I also noticed that my R15 was only going to record 2 of them. "Why was that?"...I thought. As I looked further I noticed the two set to record were the FR episodes for 05/11 and 05/18. The other 3 were repeats. Strange. Has the FR issue been fixed? So I started some more testing.

I deleted all my SLs and entered 7 new ones, all set to FR as follows:
    1. CSI: NY
    2. Scrubs
    3. CSI
    4. CSI: Miami
    5. Mythbusters
    6. Deadliest Catch
    7. Modern Marvels
    I picked on these series as they all have FR and some, many repeats. Here's what I've found so far....in another words, very preliminary results:
    • CSI:NY, Scrubs, CSI and CSI:Miami are all current scheduled correctly in the TDL to record only FR episodes and not recording repeats...I repeat, not record the repeats.
    • Mythbusters, Deadliest Catch and Modern Marvels not so good. They're not recording every episode but are recording repeats and the FRs. I haven't figured out any pattern with those.
    What does this mean? Your guess is as good as any guess I can make. But my guess would be we're getting somewhere on the FR issue. Maybe it's just the major networks at this point. Even so, that would be some huge progress.

So, could anyone else with 10C0 please make note of your SLs and monitor your shows set to FR to see how they're working? Please report back here with what you're seeing just to make sure this is not just dumb luck on my part.

BTW, I based all of the FR info by pulling original air dates from my DTivo units. Again, this is just guide info but it's the guide info the DTivos are using.

Finally, if anyone else has a good major network show to add to my testing, let me know. I was going to try My Name is Earl as for a while they were playing a repeat and FR both on Thursday night but they have stopped that.

The Un-Official List of Series which First Run logic seems to be working:

I'll be updating this post with Series and channels that I have tested for correct First Run logic.

Currently Testing: I've got these setup as a First Run SL and I'm waiting for the TDL to populate.

First Run works properly: Only first run episodes are flagged in the TO DO list and recorded. Exceptions noted are those which do not have an original air date contained in the DTivo guide data. Those episodes are recorded.
    CSI - CBS local affiliate
    CSI: NY - CBS local affiliate
    CSI: Miami - CBS local affiliate
    Scrubs - NBC local affiliate
    The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - COM
    American Inventor - ABC local affiliate
    Without a Trace - CBS local affiliate
    The People's Court - Local station
    Soprano's - HBO
    Big Love - HBO
    Judge Judy - Local station
    Lost - ABC local affiliate

Records repeats as before: First run and repeats are flagged in the TO DO list and recorded.
    Modern Marvels - HIST
    Deadliest Catch - DSC
    Mythbusters - DSC
    Stargate SG-1 - SciFi
    South Park - COM
    Dog the Bounty Hunter - A&E
    Battlestar Galactica - SciFi
    What not to Wear - BBCA
    Dukes of Hazzard - CMT
    Mind of Mencia - COM
    Dr. Phil - Local station
    The 4400 - SciFi
    Rescue Me - FX

2. May 8, 2006 #2 of 79
    TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    You gotta admit Wolffpack, if it does at least fix most of the FR/Repeat issues, Dtv has made some nice progress in the last month or two with the R15. Hopefully the updates will keep coming as regular as they have been.

3. May 9, 2006 #3 of 79
    nneptune

nneptune Legend

Mar 30, 2006
    I haven't received the update yet (I may force it tonight), but since I've had the R15 in Feb, I've seen significant improvements.
    I'm still going through my E* DVR withdrawal, but that'll happen after you're used to their equipment for 9 years.
    By the way, picture quality on D* is much better than DISH, which was/is extremely over-compressed. (my opinion).

4. May 9, 2006 #4 of 79
    Marcus S

Marcus S Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    As I sent a friend / previous 8 year loyal E* sub with a 921 until recently. The last straw; Paid $99 to upgrade from a 721 to an 811 it has it's problems,then upgraded to a 921 we all know it has it's problems, then asked to pay another $99 to upgrade to a 622.

"Yah know, you haven't encountered most of these issues on the R15, you got 30 sec skip as a new feature and D* has been sending updates every 30 days. You should have stayed with E*. Don’t you miss the endless lock ups, missing channels in the EPG, audio drop outs, broken caller id, clueless customer support, promise dates to fix problems that never arrive as promised, and selfish installers that damned your posts on the E* forums for considering switching to D* or back to cable because no one is interested in answering your questions / concerns?"

5. May 9, 2006 #5 of 79
    ISWIZ

ISWIZ Icon

Nov 18, 2005
    Wolff, this would definitely move my R15 to prime position. It is working great but right now I don't want to deal with deleting repeats from the TODO list. (Which they could make easier). I really enjoy the R15 and miss not being able to "browse" while my show is still running (or my wife's show I should say) so I will follow your testing with interest. Now if Earl could get some confirmation on the update. Sure will make the mid year survey more interesting.

6. May 9, 2006 #6 of 79
    Thunder7

Thunder7 Legend

Nov 16, 2005
    Be nice if it does help out.....looking forward to getting the update to see if my mileage varies. I hope they can get this one worked out, as I'd really like to replace my old UTV (which is my primary) to get more space, but at this time still have it chugging along. It is getting closer and closer to working the way I have expected. Just get the FR/RR working and get it to actually find all the FR for shows, and I'll be golden.

7. May 9, 2006 #7 of 79
    wohlfie

wohlfie Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    Definately test The Daily Show on Comedy Central....if it works on that it will work on anything!! :lol:

I just don't get what goes on with TDS.....some weeks it is perfect, M-TH 10:00 new episode only....some weeks better than perfect -re-recording the midnight showing if I had already deleted the 10:pM....some weeks just awful, more TDS than you can shake a stick at....and usually just Mondays are problem (yesterday it recorded both the 9:AM and 7:pM repeats from last week).

Really wierd....

8. May 9, 2006 #8 of 79
    qwerty

qwerty Hall Of Fame

Feb 19, 2006
    I'm interested to see what you get with Mythbusters. If it's like me, you'll get about 6 episodes on Sunday.

9. May 9, 2006 #9 of 79
    dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    I want to know if it is like TiVo where if the show hasn't been recorded for 28 weeks or some time limits and is a repeat it would be recorded. I liked that because When my TiVo crashed and i lost episodes it would pick them up later. Also I record some sindiated shows (the practice) to name one and technically they are all re-runs but if the network screws up I don't want 2 copies of the same episode.

10. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I'm not sure anyone knows the answer to that.

11. monkcee

monkcee AllStar

Jan 17, 2006
    Wolff,

Any chance of you testing an SL with Stargate SG-1 to see if it does anything different than with your other SLs

Edit SP

12. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    28 Days ;)

13. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Well, Modern Marvels doesn't work at all. It's recording everything out there so I've removed the MM SL. Mythbusters and Deadliest Catch don't look much better but the major network shows are still looking good.

I did add Stargate SG-1 and the TDL currently had quite a few episodes in it. Which are this point they are all repeats. I also added The Daily Show and right now, the TDL looks like it's setup correctly. Currently one scheduled for tonight and one for tomorrow night.

14. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    I knew it was 28 something just haven't used my R10 or HDVR2 in a while.... (in closet) :D

15. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Were you asking about the Tivo or if the R15 had something like that 28 day rule?

16. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Left the system alone for a bit and it has scheduled only first run episodes of TDS out through Thursday 05/18. It did not schedule any of the reruns except for two. Those two being shows that are missing the original air date on my Dtivo.

:up:

17. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    As I'm testing more series for correct First Run logic I'll be updating the first post with what I've found. Some shows work, some don't. So look to the first post for shows you record.

18. wohlfie

wohlfie Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    Are those two by any chance the Monday repeats from the previous week?
    Those have always been the most problematic....

19. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I believe so. It's the Monday airing at 7:00 am and 5:00 pm my time (Arizona, we don't follow daylight savings and are in mountain time). Plus it's the only one with the title "A Humorous slant on top news stories". Other than those two, it ignored all of the remaining 40+ repeats.

20. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    The R15 doesn't have a 28 day rule yet.

It would be nice if they did fix the first run isssue. But it's at a bad time, most shows are going into season finales. Which is good for seeing if it won't record reruns, but bad to see if it still records first runs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.