129 Signal Problems

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Jon W, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Jon W

Jon W AllStar

Jan 27, 2004
    Hey Guys, I am having problems with 129. The signal seems to fluctulate from a high around 50 to as low as 5 causing programming to be unwatchable. I have a dish 1000 and VIP722 and have never had signal issues since this particular dish was installed over 3 years ago. There is an old thread explaining a similar problem but I haven't found anything recent http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=53697&highlight=signal+fluctuates+129&page=5

Assuming the problem is my equipment any speculation on what the cause might be? I'm thinking the switch? Anyone experience a similar problem and have any idea what dish might charge me if someone comes out to look at it? I dont have the wire plan and I have always fixed problems myself.

Thanks!

2. davejacobson

davejacobson Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    The switch is in the LNB. So if the other sats are working its either a bad LNB or a tree branch. Fluctuating from 50 to 5 I vote for tree branch.

3. levibluewa

levibluewa Icon

Aug 13, 2005
    WA, OR, CA
    You're probably recalling posts about the old "hunk-o-junk" 129 sat that was falling out of the sky. No problems with the new sat. I too would vote tree branch...although its odd that it doesn't mess up your 110-119 signal as well. The 129 isn't on a separate dish is it???

4. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    The dish 1000 used a DPP Twin for 110 & 119 and a separate Dish Pro single fed into the DPP Twin, it is possible that your DP single is failing. It is also possible that your switch in the Twin is failing but I would go for the single first. A service call with DHP is $15 without I believe it is $95. Look into DHP even with 6mo. commitment it might be cheaper.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I've had a dish tree'd out on one orbital. The next orbital over was usable but weak ... the third orbital showed no problems. It all depends on where the foliage is.

6. Jon W

Jon W AllStar

Jan 27, 2004
    Thanks Guys, I hadn't thought about a tree being in the way. Its possible that there is a tree 2 houses to the West that is creeping up on me but I'm not sure. - Three has been a dish at that location since 1997 (this is the 4th one) 129 was the only SAT that was fluctuating when I checked the point dish screen. I haven't done a comprehensive check but 436 = Fox Sports North HD 107- Cooking Channel HD and 120 History Channel HD are unwatchable The picture is fine then breaks up at 5-10 second intervals and I get the signal loss screen. Its all one dish on above a 2nd story window so I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet and give them a call. I'm still ahead after years of not getting the service plan just didn't plan on the inconvenience and expense.

7. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    Personally I adjust my dish from time to time for 129. I just figured the angle waxed or waned with the seasons or whatever.....In my case I move it less then 1 degree up and all is well again for many months if not longer. I had a guy from Dish come out at some point, he didn't get it, so I did.
    I try not to over think this stuff.

8. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Was just thinking about doing this as I'm getting some pixlation on shows from channels on 129.

And I may have to adjust the other dish for 119 as that darned redwood to the right keeps growing.:sure:

9. Jon W

Jon W AllStar

Jan 27, 2004
    Update: I finally called dish yesterday and they sent someone out today. Turns out it was a branch that was intermittently blocking the 129 sat. He fixed it by moving it even higher, on the roof.

I have also been having problems with my vip722 locking up about once a day. He said it could be a related issue so we are going to wait and see if it reoccurs. Does that make sense? I guess time will tell.