1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

150 HD channels by year end

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by BillJ, Dec 24, 2008.

1. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Or at least that's what the commercial said last night. I can't believe they're still running that thing. Don't they have enough lawsuits or do they need another for false advertising? It's one thing to make that claim in July and then be able to say "we couldn't do it because of uncontrollable circumstances". But running that ad with a week left in the year is fraud.

2. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...

Obviously you missed the part where they say "up to" 150.

3. tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
    Still on their website too:

"With over 100 HD channels available and 150 projected by the end of the year, you can expect a lot of choices when it comes to sports, movies, and news."

I guess "projected" = "up to". I'm "supposed to" have all their HD with Absolute, and don't have close to 100. I guess if they keep the ad up another week, it'll still be good, it'll just be end of 2009 instead of 2008. Good way to save on advertising! Also a good way to lose subs.

4. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    i have absolute, and including HBO & Starz HD, as well as HD PPV, I have 76 HD channels. Still a long ways to go.

5. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    JMHO,
    but I just don't worry about the Marketing flak, from anybody. There are far to many so called HD channels, that aren't HD at all. ABC Family, TOON, are fine examples, of worthless HD channel.
    I will be more upset and want the channels, when there is actually HD content on the station, not just a HD logo.

6. SHS

SHS Legend

Jan 7, 2003
    Vinita, OK
    I my book most of so called HD channel don't count becuase there not a national programming and I have agree with GrumpyBear

7. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Yep, I only count Networks. Not PPV, Partime RSN's Or Sports packages.

8. Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    I, for one, think the term "projected" doesn't mean "up to." It doesn't mean exactly 150 channels, but that verbage right there is false advertising unless they somehow get more HD channels.

9. coldmiser

coldmiser Legend

Mar 10, 2007
    Hey now...they still have a few days to meet that number. ;)

10. calgary2800

calgary2800 Godfather

Aug 26, 2006
    I would be happy just to get ABC back at this point.

11. daleles

daleles AllStar

Jul 2, 2005
    I saw another (more recent) Dish commercial and now they're saying they have "120 HD channels" now. I don't see it. Since the "up to 150 HD channels" commercial, which originally aired in the Summer, they've added about 6 channels I believe, 5 new PPV's and they split the VS/Golf channel into each separate channel.

By the way, they also said they had about "100 National HD channels" (back in the Summer) which was also a lie. All the RSN HD channels are NOT HD National channels.

Maybe the reason they're losing subscribers is because they've lied in their commercials? Making promises they can't keep. And what about NESN HD? Didn't they put out a press release back in the Spring (just in time for baseball season) announcing NESN HD?
    It never happned.

daleles

12. peak_reception

peak_reception Icon

Feb 10, 2008
    Ye of Little Faith!

Mark Wednesday, December 31, on your calendar and watch very closely what happens!

13. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Not that I agree with the advertising or the fuzzy math that Dish and DirecTV and others are using...

but to be fair, "projected" simply means something is in plans. If I project to do something, I may not actually be able to do it... but as long as there is an effort to try and at least a partial plan to ge there, then I could fairly say I project something.

Again, I disagree with the use of tricky words in advertising to give easy-outs... but I can't disagree that the word doesn't mean what it means.

14. clyde sauls

clyde sauls Legend

Nov 16, 2007
    I was thinking if Dish was smart . They would try to add all the national hd channels that are available. Then with the price increase in Feb . If they really did have the most hd available and subs could get it before the price increase. It might keep Subs from leaving due to price going up.

15. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    There's no real incentive to add before the price increase, since the price increase would affect everybody (i.e. there is no lock into existing prices)... but even with that, it couldn't hurt Dish to add more HD if they can prior to Feb to help keep the grumblers down a bit.

Then again, I'm often reminded of how people complain in Feb about Dish raising prices without adding channels... but when Dish adds channels in the summer without raising prices no one seems to remember that.

16. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    +1 here.

I know many people who have/had DISH and I am the only one among them that frequent DBS Talk and similar sites. I only know of one person in my circle of friends/acquaintances who actually left DISH for D* and that was to get Sunday Ticket, which E* can't provide. The only other people I know that left DISH, left because cable offered them internet & phone in a package. Granted I live in a fairly rural area, but I have never heard a complaint about channel count from anyone around here that I know. Most of those folks don't even have hidef. Most of the folks I know with dbs are much more worried about the monthly hit than if E* has one more HD channel than D*. I personally would prefer to have all the rest of my HD locals put on the sat as opposed to another mostly upconverted HD stretchovision channel added to the "count".

17. tedb3rd

tedb3rd Godfather DBSTalk Club

Feb 2, 2006
    Geez, just buy those HD sunglasses that are, WOW, only $19.95 (and they sparkle and you hear the chimes when you put them on)... Then, all your channels will be in HD! They will pay for themselves in about 2 months after you downgrade the HD off of your Dish subscription. :lol:

18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH has a lot to do before then to get me excited about that Wednesday.

It is more likely that we will see one or more channel disputes turn into 'off air' apology screens/video loops than new HD.

Keep your hopes up if you wish, but I won't be suckered again. :)

I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

19. davethestalker

davethestalker Godfather

Sep 16, 2006
    Look at it this way, "up to" also includes 2. We have many more than 2. The ad could say "up to" 300. That's a bit harder wool to pull over people's eyes though.

20. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The "up to" debate always reminds me of a pet peeve of mine..

Whenever I hear people say "I will do that by Friday... or sooner" I cringe, since "or sooner" is automatically included in the "by xxx" part of the statement.