19 Year subscriber moving on ... thanks to everyone here

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by volkl, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Feb 5, 2015 #1 of 18
    volkl

volkl Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    Started in 1996 when USSB and Direct were separate --- and cost was $35 per month.

Got Google fiber tv last November, and it is working well.

Overall, I have been satisfied with my Directv service. Only complaints are the poor SD quality picture (in the beginning SD was great), and having to ask for discounts. Had Sunday ticket every year but the last two. Not an out of market fan. Red Zone was good enough.

The price of my interenet + tv has not even changed by a single dollar, but the internet is faster.

Thanks to everyone here, and I intend to keep checking in here.

-Volkl

2. Feb 5, 2015 #2 of 18
    Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Good luck with your new provider. Let us know how you like it going forward. I'm sure Google Fiber will never be an option for me given my rural location, but I'm curious nonetheless.

3. Feb 5, 2015 #3 of 18
    Aridon

Aridon Mentor

Mar 12, 2007
    I'd like some impressions of their hardware if you have the time.

4. Feb 6, 2015 #4 of 18
    volkl

volkl Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    Beavs, I will keep reporting. And Aridon, I will give my impression of the equipment.

I chose the 1 Gigabit per second up and down service for internet costing $70 per month, plus an extra $50 per month for a very robust television package (check some of my earlier posts where I have a spreadsheet comparing the package to Choice Extra), for two televisions, plus HBO, and for a time, NFL red zone.

The equipment is called a fiberjack wall jack, connected to a "network box." This provides 4 ethernet ports from which one can get internet service. Since I have the television service, I have a "storage box," taking up one of the four ethernet ports. The storage box is for recording tv shows, photos and supposedly other video. It has a 2 TB drive. From the storage box, one must connect a tv box for each tv. This connection can be by ethernet or coaxial using MOCA. I use MOCA in the bedroom and ethernet in the living room. Lastly, google gave me a Nexus 7 which works fairly well. The Nexus can play television if one is in the wi-fi network at home, but not elsewhere.

The equipment is based on open source software, which does not seem to be a problem. The equipment works well. There is not really a convenient way to use one's own router to handle DHCP instead of the google network box. There are people working on replacing the network box with their own router, and google has decided to change course and publish the settings necessary to do it, but I have not chosen to try that as yet.

The equipment is working very well. Each tv box, which is really small, can be set to extend the wi-fi network, so the wi-fi coverage is improved in the home. My equipment is first gen, which means it can only do 2.4 and 5 ghz (wireless n), and not ac. New boxes are available to some which can do ac.

The remotes are bluetooth, so one does not have to have line of sight to the tv boxes, and they use little power.

They have VOD, but it isn't as robust as Direct's.

Each tv box has apps for watching youtube, netflix (with subtitles!), and vudu. Note, however, that the google fiber youtube app cannot play paid youtube movies. I tried to purchase and watch The Interview on December 24 using my tv, and was unable to do so. It would work on apple tv, and late model roku devices, however.

Everything is working great.

One down side that occurred today, is that Google decided to take away the REELZ channel and Universal HD from the base package. They added a new Movie tier for $10 per month for those two channels, plus 8 new movie channels. So this is like a price increase. I guess it is to be expected. Not very pleased, however. BTW, the internet + tv package in KC costs $120 per month, but in the new cities, like Austin, TX, and North Carolina, the same package costs $130 per month. (I assume it is the same package.)

Picture quality is excellent. No real probems as yet. I should point out that 1Gbs up and down is nice, but really not that big a deal. Servers don't go that fast.

Take care.

-volkl

5. Feb 6, 2015 #5 of 18
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Wow. Can you use even a quarter of that speed? Are they offering a mere 100 Mbps service? And where are you (sorry if I missed that.)

6. Feb 6, 2015 #6 of 18
    Aridon

Aridon Mentor

Mar 12, 2007
    $130 for both is a bargain. My direct bill will be that much when the promo drops by itself.

Once title 2 happens they'll have access to the same poles and underground areas which should speed up deployment significantly.

About time some serious competition gives the industry an enema.

7. Feb 6, 2015 #7 of 18
    dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    I can't get Google Fiber here in Northern Kentucky, but Cincinnati Bell is getting closer and closer with that Fioptics thing that they sell.

Their equipment isn't as nice, and I couldn't quite match the TV package that you're getting, but $130 a month would get me gigabit down 200+ up and all of my channels expect movie channels.

That's $170 less a month than I pay for TV and internet now, and I'm stuck with TWC 30/5 for $70.

If/when fiber passes my home and I can get their 100/30 package minimun with TV for $130 I'm gone.

I'm not entirely sure what the price after 12 months would be, but it is less than $200 from what I gather. I'll take that.

The pundits speculate that Cincinnati Bell would be ripe for a Google takeover. I'm fine with doing business with Cincinnati Bell as long as some of these Google Fiber like advantages come along for the ride.

8. Feb 6, 2015 #8 of 18
    volkl

volkl Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    Laxguy, I live in Kansas City, Missouri.

No, I don't really need that kind of speed. And they do not offer a 100Mbs service. The only lower tier is to have free broadband service for seven years at a speed of 5Mbs down, 1Mbs up. However, to do this plan one must pay the "construction fee" of $300 for running the fiber to the home, either as a lump sum, or $25 per month for one year. This construction fee is waived for anyone agreeing to do the 1Gbs service. The TV package requires 1Gbs service.

Another new feature for me is having whole home dvr service. A downside is that one cannot have more than 4 tv boxes connected, however, in the new markets, the second gen equipment can handle up to 5 tv boxes.

-volkl

9. Feb 6, 2015 #9 of 18
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Wow! What a gap- from 5 Mbps to 1 Gbps- one's too slow, the other too fast..... But it's a nice option!

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    SO what are the options for those folks requiring more than 5 receivers? Another account perhaps?

11. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    The average house in the US has 2.5 TV sets, so......

The 2nd gen hardware records 8 programs at once, so the speculation is that the TV limit will go to 8.

12. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Well, I guess I am not average as I have 6 TVs. I just wanted to know. But thanks

13. volkl

volkl Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    I contacted Google Fiber, and they said that there is no possibility, currently, to have multiple accounts per mailing address.

Further, I was incorrect in stating that the maximum for Gen II or above equipment is 5 tv boxes, rather it is 6 tv boxes.

-volkl

14. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Thanks, that is more reasonable.

15. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    pikeville, ky
    if google fiber was available here in Pikeville, ky. I would grab it in a heartbeat. but that will never, ever happen. too rural. only game in town for me is imctv which is charging me $80 month just for 10/1 internet. but they are the only game in town and they sure take advantage of that. i hope you enjoy your new service :)

16. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I'm surprised the average home has only 2.5 tvs sets, and what the hell is a 1/2 of a tv Lol.

2.5 to me means 3 tvs lol.

I have 7 tvs, but only 4 are whole home, the 5th has HD setop and the other 2 have coax only.

Sure I'm guessing above the norm, but I'm not so sure I agree with that number of 2.5.

17. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    It means a lot of people either have one tv or 2 tvs and then there's the rest of us that have way to many!

1 person likes this.
  18. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    2011 was the last research I could find and it's 3 per house hold.
    2009 was 2.5.

Based on that I would say it's close to 4 in 2015