1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$199 for the HR20?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by DrZ, Dec 10, 2008.

1. DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    I just installed a new home theater projector in my basement and I'd love to get another HR20 for the room but the rep on the phone just told me that it's going to cost me $199 to get another unit. Any tips on ways to get this price down. The wife is going to kill me if I tell her its going to cost 200 bucks to get TV down there :(

2. biggyman

biggyman Cool Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Several hundred posts of different subscribers' attempts are here - http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=151404&t=140292 Moral of the story, try and try again. If you just got one for free and just started on a new contract, you might be in a tough position. The best luck seems to be those that are out or nearly out of their contract. I was three months from being out of contract, threatened to leave, and got a free HD-DVR (my second) and various credits. FYI, the current model is the HR-22 (or perhaps even the HR-23), which you want over the HR-20 since they have much bigger hard drives.

3. DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    I guess I'll try again. I don't necessarily want a free DVR but $199 is a bit much.

4. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Don't tell wife how much it cost.

If she finds out, buy flowers, chocolates, shoes, or if shes really peeved, diamonds. :)

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    If you can handle the installation duties yourself, you can usually get an HD-DVR from Costco or Best Buy for $169.

6. gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    i thought these cost $169 at Costco and they was $199 at Best Buy?

7. DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    Has anybody currently under contract been able to get a second HD-DVR for less that $199?

8. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    Yes, but chances are they will extend your contract another 2 years.

9. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I have gotten three while under contract for a total of about $175 after credits.

My third was about two months ago for $99 while I still had 18 months left on the contract.

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Don't hold your breath on an HR20. Chances of getting one are vanishingly slim.

11. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    I just received a free HR-22, only about four months into a 2 year commitment from getting my HR-21. Of course, I paid full price for the HR-21.

12. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Yes, I got mine for $100 + $20 shipping + 2yr extension and I was still under contract.

But I have been a customer for a long time as well.

13. DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    Extending the contract is no biggy for me. I'll never go to comcast and FioS isn't won't be an option where I live for at lest a few years, so I guess there is hope. Do the CSR have a set price they will offer if one balks at $199 or should I bargain with who ever is lucky enough to get me on the phone? $99 is a lot easier to swallow than $199.

14. DennisMileHi

DennisMileHi Cool Member

Aug 29, 2007
    When the computer asks you why you are calling, say "Cancel Service." You will be sent to Retention (no other easy way to get there). They don't know what you said to get there. Tell them you are not happy with the $199 price having been a good customer and politely ask what they can do to help you.

Most likely, you will get a $100 credit. I have done this two times since replacing two Tivos for free. The last one was to replace a legacy receiver and the rep told me he had to have an installer come out to run a sceond cable. I told hjm I have a SWM-8 and didn't need that. So, he said go to Best Buy and after install, call back and they would give me the $100 credit. Did exactly that. BTW, I politely asked what else they could do for me after making sure the $100 credit was noted on my account. Without hesitation, he gave me 6 months free Showtime and a $20 credit on my account for six months. Pretty sweet, I think.

Good luck.

15. DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    I just realized that the HR20 is a few models old now and the current HD-DVR is the HR22.

16. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    You may be able to get a deal on the AM21 to go with it for OTA, otherwise $50.

17. Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave Legend

Apr 2, 2004
    My neighbor just added a 3rd HR22 receiver for $149.99 incl installation from DirecTV last week.

She had to buy her 4th (an HR22) at Costco for $169. D* would not sweeten the deal if she bought two. Her sub level is only about $85.00 per month.

18. DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    Everything is set up for the DVR. I don'' need any installation. I'd just like to pay less than $199 for the unit.

19. Vin

Vin Legend

Mar 29, 2004
    On sale for $179.99 this week at Best Buy.

20. Vin

Vin Legend

Mar 29, 2004
    I'm a long time subscriber (10+ years) and am under contract as a result of getting a free HR21 and AM21 in July '08. I called D* about two weeks ago and was immediately offered a $100 credit if I ordered another HD DVR. Since they're not able to tell you which one you'll receive (I don't want another HR-21) I asked if I can purchase it elsewhere and still get the credit....I was told yes, that would be fine.

I called two days ago to confirm this offer and was told I could only get the $100 credit if I get the equipment from DirecTV...that was his story and he was sticking to it.

At this point I decided to send them an e-mail expressing my dissatisfaction and within an hour had a reply that included the phone number and PIN to contact retention. This resulted in the reinstating of the offer to buy the DVR wherever I want and still get the $100 credit upon activation - she gave me her name and employee ID # - it was a no go on a 2nd free AM 21 though.

From recent posts here, it seems my chances of getting another HR21 from D* are probably slim but I didn't want to chance it...really want/need the larger HDD.