1995 DSS Infomercial

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bobcnn, Jan 13, 2019.

1. bobcnn

bobcnn Mentor

Nov 10, 2007
    Atlanta &...
    I'm guessing this has been posted on here before, but just in case I found this 1995 infomercial for Directv/USSB/RCA. I have had Directv since late 1994, or early 1995, this brings back some memories.

sangs, dreadlk, MysteryMan and 2 others like this.
  2. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Awe the good ole days. Great find. :)

3. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Nice I think I heard sir Patrick stuart s voice lol

I do remember the marketing campaign with the dogs
    Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

4. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I finally watched the video. It brought back a lot of memories. My parents (my dad) installed one on their house in 94 or 95, they had that same receiver and remote. I used it while I was home from college one summer. I couldn’t believe how many channels they had. That whole system was high tech back then.

With the exception of MLB, I didn’t realize that 3 of the 4 major sports leagues had packages back then, I didn’t think those came along until later. And it sounded like the Golf Channel was a la carte?

Funny how he mentioned using an antenna or “lifeline cable” for local channels.

It’d be nice if we could get all those channels now for $65 a month (D* $30 + USSB $35).

How far we have come. Good times. :)

5. tivofan2018

tivofan2018 Member

Oct 19, 2018

6. tivofan2018

tivofan2018 Member

Oct 19, 2018
    ah the good ole days of DTV to bad those days are long gone

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    January 1998. I had just had surgery and was restricted to bed for two weeks. Meds were throwing my sleep schedule off. Trying to find something to watch late at night or during the middle of the day sucked.

After about the 5th day of total frustration with our cable, I saw an infomercial for DIRECTV. I don't remember if it was the one above, but two weeks later we were picking up our receiver and dish at UPS and had a local installer out several days later to mount the dish and wire the receiver.

Yes, it brings back the memories.

8. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    Saw an old Home Improvement episode today "Satellite On A Hot Tim's Roof" and Tim was trying to install one of those big dishes on the roof.

9. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    I remember u could order at radio shack and circuit city lol

Both gone now :(

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

10. paranoia

paranoia DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 12, 2014
    New England
    I was so excited after watching the video, that I called and ordered the USSB Movie Package, and got a push button phone for my desk in the den from amazon.

11. Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    What memories!

12. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I remember Primestar. They had a larger dish and used two coax cables (one for audio and one for video).

tivofan2018 likes this.
  13. cooleybird

cooleybird New Member

Jun 12, 2018
    NC, USA
    Didn't get in that early (mid-2000), but I remember when channel 1 was a loop of how to use your remote/guide/system videos videos.

14. TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    I did the self install of D* in 1998. The PQ was so superior to our cable.

As a sports fan, it was amazing to be able to buy sports subscriptions for NFL and NHL.

peelpub94 likes this.
  15. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Two coax cables? Interesting. Of course D* required two coax cables for dual tuner DVR’s.

16. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    It does bring back a lot of memories, that RCA receiver was the one I beta tested before they even had the 18" dish in the package. Also lets not forget the card hacking and millions of people who received free Directv for years. In hind sight I wonder if that was to their benefit or not. I remember the card hack was the number one reason many of my CBand customers switched over to Directv.

The one thing they don't mention was how poor the DSS picture was compared to the same C-Band satellite TV channel which was using the live feeds in many cases. DSS was still a lot better than most cable feeds because cable was a featureless mess back then.

17. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Golf was an premium channel at the start like Disney

18. stsrep

stsrep AllStar

Mar 10, 2007
    Tanya Memie ?
    HBO Hi-Def pitch girl back then got me to subscribe.

19. sswheeler

sswheeler Legend

Aug 27, 2008
    The 2 coax was for the horizontal and vertical reception. That is how they delivered the channels then, each channel was on the horizontal or vertical band.

I started out with Primestar, and they weren't bad. It was nice not having to pay the huge cost for service. Can't believe it was $699, that is crazy.

20. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Why? I cleaned out an old file cabinet last summer. Found a receipt for my first VHS VCR for $899 and a receipt for a 20MB (yes, mega) drive for $650.