DBSTalk Forum banner

1995 DSS Infomercial

3K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  P Smith 
#1 ·
I'm guessing this has been posted on here before, but just in case I found this 1995 infomercial for Directv/USSB/RCA. I have had Directv since late 1994, or early 1995, this brings back some memories.

#3 ·
Nice I think I heard sir Patrick stuart s voice lol

I do remember the marketing campaign with the dogs
Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I finally watched the video. It brought back a lot of memories. My parents (my dad) installed one on their house in 94 or 95, they had that same receiver and remote. I used it while I was home from college one summer. I couldn’t believe how many channels they had. That whole system was high tech back then.

With the exception of MLB, I didn’t realize that 3 of the 4 major sports leagues had packages back then, I didn’t think those came along until later. And it sounded like the Golf Channel was a la carte?

Funny how he mentioned using an antenna or “lifeline cable” for local channels.

It’d be nice if we could get all those channels now for $65 a month (D* $30 + USSB $35).

How far we have come. Good times. :)

#17 ·
I finally watched the video. It brought back a lot of memories. My parents (my dad) installed one on their house in 94 or 95, they had that same receiver and remote. I used it while I was home from college one summer. I couldn't believe how many channels they had. That whole system was high tech back then.

With the exception of MLB, I didn't realize that 3 of the 4 major sports leagues had packages back then, I didn't think those came along until later. And it sounded like the Golf Channel was a la carte?

Funny how he mentioned using an antenna or "lifeline cable" for local channels.

It'd be nice if we could get all those channels now for $65 a month (D* $30 + USSB $35).

How far we have come. Good times. :)
Golf was an premium channel at the start like Disney

#7 ·
January 1998. I had just had surgery and was restricted to bed for two weeks. Meds were throwing my sleep schedule off. Trying to find something to watch late at night or during the middle of the day sucked.

After about the 5th day of total frustration with our cable, I saw an infomercial for DIRECTV. I don't remember if it was the one above, but two weeks later we were picking up our receiver and dish at UPS and had a local installer out several days later to mount the dish and wire the receiver.

Yes, it brings back the memories.

#9 ·
I remember u could order at radio shack and circuit city lol

Both gone now :(

#16 ·
It does bring back a lot of memories, that RCA receiver was the one I beta tested before they even had the 18" dish in the package. Also lets not forget the card hacking and millions of people who received free Directv for years. In hind sight I wonder if that was to their benefit or not. I remember the card hack was the number one reason many of my CBand customers switched over to Directv.

The one thing they don't mention was how poor the DSS picture was compared to the same C-Band satellite TV channel which was using the live feeds in many cases. DSS was still a lot better than most cable feeds because cable was a featureless mess back then.

#27 · (Edited)
Wasn't VOOM owned by Cablevision :(

One of Cablevision buildings still had VOOM signs hung up

#30 ·
Waited 2 years after these informercials came out. Bought my first dish and receiver for $89 at The Wiz. A nice Toshiba
that The Wiz substituted for the RCA's they ran out of during a Labor Day sale in 1997. That was considered a giveaway back then. Bought it for Sunday Ticket of course. To get the NHL they made me buy a base package. Sunday Ticket was a stand alone purchase then. I had cable and DTV at the same time. Eventually cut the cable and stuck with D*. Now with AT&T it's a mess. Picture stability and quality has gone down on certain stations. Skipping frames on certain Sunday Ticket games really pisses me off. Not all games, just the ones with no bandwidth left for I guess. Anyway, I miss the real Directv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#33 ·
Funny thing.
My family never had dtv.
In 1997 mayslanding, NJ. We were the 1st to get digital cable. And it was no longer true that dtv was the only way for the same programming.

We have everything like dtv. With one up
Music choice. Which is still on cable and free on big satellite.
Can't say that about direct TV today.

I only use my big satellite . And we get free previews every now and then.

Epix. Also NFL ,MLB AND HLN. And we even had free premium TV for over a year open and in the clear.
That was probably people testing Orby.

So. Big satellite is still god.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.