1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st Show Date

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dtv4metoday, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dtv4metoday

dtv4metoday Banned User

Apr 14, 2006
    I just bought a D11-500 for my garage. I noticed that it has Original date of show episodes.

Why does the R15 not use that ?

2. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Hummm. Good question. I guess that info is then available in the DTV funded guide data. Earl, care to forward this one on to your friends?

Good catch dtv4me. I never thought of comparing the R15 guide data to non-DVR receivers. Probably cuz I don't have any non-DVR receivers, but that's another thread.

Dtv4me...and others...how much other "info" does the D11 or H20 offer when you keep pressing info on a show? I know the DTivos have alot of detail. Maybe it's time to stop blaming the guide data for the R15's SL problems......DUH. :grin:

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I will be sure to ask...

(I really need to get a tickler list... I have about 10 things on the list)

I thought we "did" stop blaming the guide data, as we know it is faulty and you can't trust the flags that are in it.... :D

4. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    You are such a Funny Bunny! :lol:

5. dtv4metoday

dtv4metoday Banned User

Apr 14, 2006
    Well D11'S are using full guide data, except show details, (which that needs upgraded), so why can't the R15 use first run and etc as D11's do ?

6. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005

There's a difference between "showing" and "using" the First Run (and other data).

As for why the R15 doesn neither right now... I don't know.
    I would only guess that the First/Repeat logic wasn't justing the First run date (as we all know TiVo does), because of worries of infringement....

But now with the signing of that new contract...... (note: this is just my guess, not something from my contact)

7. dtv4metoday

dtv4metoday Banned User

Apr 14, 2006
    so you are saying Directv, can use 1st air date/whatever it is called on the d11's but not the r15's ?

just because of the dvr part.

8. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    What would the D11 use it for? Its just a receiver it has no use for the date or honestly an other info in the guide data.

9. ad301

ad301 Godfather

Mar 30, 2004
    You guys should re-read this thread: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=54264

At least three posters there, myself included, mentioned that the data stream does contain the original air date, as seen on non-dvr receivers.

10. ad301

ad301 Godfather

Mar 30, 2004
    Don't you ever get curious about a program you see in the guide? Actors, original date of production, director, rating, etc, etc. It's interesting information that doesn't have to be used for any purpose (on a non-dvr) other than to be informative. On a dvr, besides the presentation of information to the user, it can also be used for searching and scheduling purposes.

11. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005

The D11 doesn't "use" it, it display's it. (aka showing a detailed list of information of the program)

As for the R15, it doesn't "display it".... and it doesn't "use it" in the sense of using that data field to determin first run/last run.
    Right now the R15 is lacking a full detail listing of all the data available about the show...

12. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes but that has nothing to do with his argument on on th D11.

13. dtv4metoday

dtv4metoday Banned User

Apr 14, 2006
    Is it simply directv worried, that tivo might "sue" if the r15's "display the full guide date or would use it to perform searches?

I can MMAAAYYYBBEEEE see how they might react to the searching (barely). but how could their (if copyrighted) can they say directv can not use the full guide data, ? I mean thats tribunes material.

14. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    I doubt the displaying of the information has anything to do with legal reasons.
    It is probably just that what we see today in the R15, was original thought of to be the key information that uses want to see (aka, underestimating the usage of the extended data)

I know it is on the list of enhancements to provide a more detail listing of the programs.

15. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    I need your help...

Does anyone here own a D10 or D11?
    Can you provide me with the keystrokes, and possible a screen shot of the detailed information page for the programs

16. qwerty

qwerty Hall Of Fame

Feb 19, 2006
    I've noticed that in guide shows have the name of the episode and year (aired?). But, when I check info after it's recorded, that information is gone. I verified this with this weeks NCIS. Is that part of the "extended data"?

17. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    My D11 is not active on my account, but the guide does work.

I'm not certain what you are looking for though. Simply highlighting a program in the guide, I get exactly the same information displayed on the D11 as on the R15.

But, when I press the Info button, I get substantially different displays. For example, for the show Invasion on ABC at 10 pm tonight (4-19-06):

D11: Invastion "Re-Evolution"
    10:01 - 11:00 p TV-14-V
    Drama, Suspense. (2006) William Fichtner, Eddie
    Cibrian, Lisa Sheridan.

Russell and Dave find Szura's island. CC, Series.

R15: Invasion "Re-Evolution" Drama, Suspense (2006) William
    Fichtner, Eddie Cibrian, Lisa Sheridan.

Russell and Dave find the island where Szura has been
    housing some of the special hybrids; Larkin has an
    accident and believes the pedestrian she struck with her
    car is a hybrid. CC, Series

On the left side of the screen, the D11 offers Autotune, Showings, and Done. The R15 offers Record, Episodes, and Done.

I checked two or three other shows on two other networks, and found similar diffrences between the D11 and R15. In every case, the expanded info screen had a more comprehensive description on the R15 than on the D11, however the basic information was the same on both units.

If this isn't what you were looking for, let me know what you want and I'll try to check it out for you.

I don't have a convenient way to do a screen shot from the D11, sorry.

Carl

18. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Carl, that is great...

Funny... I thought people where saying the D11 had MORE information then the R15...

I am thinking about just picking up a D11 ($10 on Ebay)...

Earl

19. ISWIZ

ISWIZ Icon

Nov 18, 2005
    Yeah Earl, you need another DVR. ;)

20. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Yah I know... that is why I am looking at the D11 :)
    For purly research reasons...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.