1TB External hard drive formatting, ViP722

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by BqWUDUDj, Jul 30, 2015.

1. BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj Mentor

Feb 26, 2007
    My ViP722 is going bad and I'm scrambling to save the recordings I have on it. I purchased a "WD My Passport Ultra Portable External USB 3.0 Hard Drive, 1TB" and I'm having some problems formatting it.

Questions:
    1) How long should an initial format take? Is this a five minute thing or something that should be done overnight.

2) Is this drive supported? I've seen that people have problems using the drive with Linux. Will the ViP722 accept it? It looks like a very popular drive.

I'm asking because after I plug in the drive I go through two confirmation prompts about formatting it. Then the receiver starts a formatting screen and switches to a 2nd screen saying not to touch anything while the format is going on and the receiver reboots. After about three minutes the screen goes black and the receiver does nothing, the green LED also turns off on the receiver. I can't cold-boot the receiver until I unplug the USB from its front port. I don't know if this problem is because of a broken receiver or an incompatibility.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    If this particular external USB drive does not have its own power supply then you will likely have problems. Dish does not support USB-powered drives.

3. MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network Member

Jan 6, 2011
  4. BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj Mentor

Feb 26, 2007
    Thank you. I put a powered USB 3.0 hub between the drive and the receiver. It's hard to find a non-USB powered modern drive, particularly since I don't want to spend money on something that is only USB 2.0.

Now I have better expectations about how long to wait. I have a replacement DVR arriving this evening and so I'll try formatting there and then switch back to the old receiver to grab the programs.

Thanks.

5. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    You may need to activate the "new" 722 on your account before formatting.

6. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    If the HDD says 3.0, does that mean it will also handle 2.0? Thanks.

7. BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj Mentor

Feb 26, 2007
    Yes. You can use USB 3.0 devices with USB 2.0 and USB 2.0 with 3.0. They are interchangeable but at the cost of speed -- you won't get the 3.0 performance unless both sides and all points between (hubs) are 3.0.

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Up to USB 3.0, all USB devices will interoperate. That changes with USB-C in that you'll need an adapter to connect them.

The key lies in not messing with 2.5" mechanisms that are almost uniquely USB powered. Some may work, but it isn't something you want to take time out to do when your internal drive is on its last legs.

9. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006