1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 4K streams, but no Hs-17 Genie 2.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mickat, Oct 15, 2018.

1. mickat

mickat New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    We have a HR54, C61K, 4 x HR24's and H25 for 14 tuners. Would like to have a 2'nd 4K stream but there is no way to get 1 at this time. The best way would be to trade in 2 HR24s for HR54 & C61K, we would get another 4K stream gain 1 more tuner and pay the same amount, WIN - WIN. We also know this won't happen because D* only allows 1 Genie per account. So my question is what does D* have planed for subs like us? I know this effects maybe 5% or less of there subs, but D* must have a plan right?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    only HS17 will do that !

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I don't know. They do have special accounts for "high rollers" who have systems far exceeding the "average customer". I have no knowledge or information on any of that stuff. I would suggest contacting either a custom audio/video company, or Solid Signal, who offer a wide variety of DirecTV related services. It can be done, but obviously it will be at some cost. And, I would guess your 5% estimate is high, maybe 1% or less?

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You have a 54, you must have the new GUI. Do you think they had a viable plan when they let that thing loose on us? The only plan they seem to have is forcing the 17s down our throats...that will give you two 4K streams, is that what you want?

Rich

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Things that are possible:
    1. Go to Solidsignal.com Purchase a C61K and add it to your second 4Ktv.

2. Record a 4k a 4k shows or shows on your HR54 - Stream on of those to any c61K location

3 From the other C61K location Watch Live 4K content.

That might work out for you? or not -

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    From the schedules I've seen, what does DIRECTV broadcasts that you'd want two simultaneous 4K streams?

If you want the same show on two TVs, that can be done with your current C61K. Just need to take the HDMI output to a splitter and run to the two TVs involved.

But otherwise, the only way right now for two simultaneous 4K streams (with one DIRECTV account) is the HS17 with two C61Ks.

7. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Nobody knows Directv's future plans for subs like you. Personally I think they will eventually allow multiple Genie 2s per account. If they're going to do that I'd think it would have to be by the end of next year - that's when I'd guess they would start phasing out the HR54 and offering Genie 2 as the only option for all new customers. Others think they will just abandon the high end segment since it is a pretty small niche (I'd guess it is easily under 1% who have 14 or more tuners like you)

I remember an installer posting here a few years ago that he'd once been out to service a residential customer that had something like 30 TVs, across a big house and several outbuildings. I find it hard to believe they'd simply abandon such customers, but it depends on what the beancounters say about how profitable they are vs. how much it would cost them to offer a way to support such customers.

8. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    1. You won't be able to activate it with the other Genie on the account.
    2. and 3. Won't work, AFAIK. That would still be two 4K streams going out of the HR54.

Right now, and for the foreseeable future, the only way anyone is going to get two 4K streams is with an HS17 and the appropriate clients. No other HRxx receivers are permitted with an HS17.

9. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    The OP can Activate any Mini Even a Additional C61K on his current account - Even thou he may be able to only get 4k to on C61K at a time.

jimmie57 likes this.
  10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    The OP need two UHD streams from DTV - a solution is HS17+C61Ks. Only that.

11. mickat

mickat New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    We can live with the 1 4K stream for now. I was just wondering what D* might do as 4K gets going. I can't believe that everyone with more than 7 tuners would have to down grade to a HS-17 to get 2 4K streams. If they would let people have more than 1 HR54 it would fix everything, I've been hoping for years that D* would do this , but I gave up on that idea 2 years ago. Maybe D* will come out with a hopper 3 equal ! One can only hope.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Aww, that one really cracked me up! Thanx for the chuckle!

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Might not be up to them. I think all it would take is for NBC or CBS to go all 4K (I realize it would not be "all" 4K at first) and the providers would have to follow. Just as they did when Stereo came to our homes. We didn't have it at all and then we got a couple channels in stereo and then they all had it. I think that's what we have to wait for.

Rich

14. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Why do you feel the HS-17 is a downgrade? It's got twice as much storage, and is presumably faster than the '54. (I have the '54 and am happy with one 4K client.)

15. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    For the OP in this case has 13 tuners capable of recording and he would drop almost half of them if he switched to the 17.

16. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Future iterations of the HS17 will obviously support more 4K streams, but what you really need is for Directv to support you having more than one of those future iterations of the HS17. Whether that ever happens remains to be seen. You can be pretty sure they will never support more than one HR54; unless they do a sudden 180 turn their future direction is for clients to be the only devices that output video so the HR54 will be the last in its line, just as the HR24 was the last in its line.

Hopefully by the time more 4K channels arrive things will be more clear, until then you'll have to stick with what you have. Directv will never have a 16 tuner device like the Hopper because they are implementing 4K channels in a different way than Dish - the HS17 actually has 16 tuners but it uses them in a different way. However, Directv has capacity set aside for over 50 4K channels, while Dish lacks the bandwidth to ever carry more than a small handful of 4K channels (or they'll have to reduce the PQ so much to make them fit the whole point of 4K will be lost)

17. mickat

mickat New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Hopefully D* comes out with a newer HS17, say a HS27 with double the tuners, that would be fine with me. Just give those of us who need more than 7 tuners a chose, that's all. Charge 1 price for a HS17 and another for a HS27 just like they do now for HR24 or H24. Maybe someday SOON.

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    sure, then new HS37 will comes

19. mickat

mickat New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    What about making a box with 7 tuners and 2 expansion slots, just like computers. Need 8-14 tuners add a card, 15-21 add another. Doesn't the new RB LNB support 22 ? Simple right.

20. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The new LNB can support somewhere around 21 or 22 tuners, but only single transponder slots, not linked dual or RB. So when the evolution to RB and linked transponders is complete, it will handle around 13 I think.