1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 "dongles" hanging off the back of DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by McSwine, Nov 12, 2008.

1. McSwine

McSwine Cool Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Can anyone tell me what they are? I have certain channels that have crappy reception and moving these things around can make it better/worse. thanks...

2. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    these are B Band Converters (BBC's) and if moving them helps call D to order more. they are free and are needed for some HD channels.
    edit: make sure they are tight.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    We call them B-Band Converters or BBCs, and you need them in order to receive most of the HD channels. If moving them makes things better or worse, they are probably loose or possibly broken. If tightening them doesn't help, I'd call DIRECTV and get them to send you two more. They should be free.

Edit: ^^^What my friend David said :)

4. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    you owe me a coke :):)

5. McSwine

McSwine Cool Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Jeez, that was quick...thanks, guys.

6. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Personally, I'd consider tightening the connectors on each end of those dongles to see if the problem gets fixed ..

7. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    could have sworn I typed that, edited and added it.

8. McSwine

McSwine Cool Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Well, I tried that with no success, but I might swap out the short piece of coax. I called my installer and he said to bring them by and he would swap them out.

I appreciate y'alls help.

9. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    What short piece of coax?

The BBC's should be connected directly to the receiver and then your lines connected directly to the BBC's. So, unless your dish and/or multi-switch is right next to your receiver, you probably don't have a short piece of coax.

10. McSwine

McSwine Cool Member

Jul 10, 2008
    The BBC is connected directly to the DVR, but I have a short piece of coax that goes from the other end of the BBC to the jack in the wall (kitchen TV). The Direct installer used the existing wiring from my previous Dish install...could this be part of my crappy picture problem (generally, not the one caused by the dongle)?

11. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "The pigtail" and they've been known to be loose where they connect to the BBC.

12. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Gotcha. By short, I thought you meant a few inches. If you can move the dongles and the picture changes, it would lead me to believe that there's a connection problem. If all the connections are secured (BBC to receiver. BBC to coax. Coax to wall plate), then there's probably something wrong with the BBC (s). Assuming your wiring worked fine with Dish, I wouldn't think that would be an issue.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Any part of the cabling "could be" the problem. Bad/loose cables can act very strange.

14. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I haven't looked at my BBC's in awhile, I though those pigtails were permanently attached.

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "should be" but many [bad ones] have been able to rotate at the BBC connector. There is a set screw that some have tightened "to fix them".

16. McSwine

McSwine Cool Member

Jul 10, 2008
    It worked fine w/Dish, and that's why I assumed that the Direct picture quality would as good, if not better (it's not). I could kick my a** because the Direct installer wanted to run new wiring, but for whatever reason I was in a hurry and told him it would be fine to use the existing Dish cabling. I knew that I would give up the ability to watch one program and record another, but with 3 DVR's in the house, I didn't think it would be a problem. I wonder if it would have made any difference?

At any rate, thanks again for your help.

17. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Bad cabling or BBC's can cause pixelization, "green snow", drop-outs, and 771-SFSS errors. When you are getting a good signal, though,k your picture quality "is what it is" and won't be improved with better cabling.

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    That's not what Monster keeps telling everybody! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

19. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Nope, its just a short piece of coax.

You can pop open the plastic case to get the the "nut" on the connector.

20. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    The new 5 LNB dish requires an RG6 cable and all components rated at least 2.5 Ghz. RG6 cable older than 3 or 4 years is probably only tested to 1.0 Ghz. I had problems initially with my new installation using the cable from my 3 LNB dish because the RG6 cable was only rated at 1.0 Ghz. I replaced it with a cable rated at 3.0 Ghz and the problems went away.

See the following installation videos (specifically video 4) for further info:

http://www.solidsignal.com/satellite/at9_install_videos.asp