1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Hoppers for free!!!??????Anyone??

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by bshady, Mar 23, 2012.

1. bshady

bshady Cool Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Has anyone been able to get 2 Hoppers for free?

I am a new sub subscribing to AT250 + Blockbuster@Home + Whole Home DVR + HD and I had the guy down to $50 on the second one with the first being free. Not good enough, :nono: I said no.
    DTV offered me an HR-34 and an HR-24 for free, so I figure if I can get 7 tuners for free there, I should be able to get 6 from E* for free. I think I shall play CSR roulette the next couple hours, but I just wanted to know if anyone else had been successful getting this deal I am shooting for.

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    No, second Hopper is anywhere from $99 to $199. Take the $50 and stay ahead of the game.

3. bshady

bshady Cool Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I am still on the phone with them. It isn't finalized yet, but I thing I got it. :grin:

4. bshady

bshady Cool Member

Jan 11, 2009
    *think

5. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    bshady

Being shady indeed.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Who knows, may be he has something in his [credit] history what will allowed to get two h2k for free ?

7. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Do they keep naked pictures of Charlie in your credit history?

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Very smart ! :down:

9. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Yeah, I DOUBT this will happen.

10. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Not going to happen. I don't even believe the $50 for the second one. (Not saying I don't believe the poster, I don't believe the person telling him that)

11. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    They should have just let you go to DirecTV and charged You the Early termination fee.

12. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    Pretty shady to think your entitled to all those freebies.

13. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Entitled? Please. Given that Dish still owns the equipment AND you pay a monthly fee for each device it isn't a sense of entitlement. You get what you can get, while you can get it.

Dish gives him what he wants or he moves on to try to get a deal from someone else. It's a free market.

14. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    My point is that its ridiculous to expect to get even more Free stuff from a company (the second free/discounted hopper) When they are already giving you PLENTY in exchange for a the first month up front and a 2 year contract.

So yeah when a company invests almost 800$ in getting a single new customer set up, and they go and demand even more stuff free i would say its a false sense of entitlement.

15. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    But how ridiculous is it to expect the customer to care how much it costs Dish to provide a service that the customer pays for?

The local cable company and phone company will drop off anything that I want. I can replace my 3 DVR's with Time Warner or Cincinnati Bell DVR's and they won't charge me a dime upfront. Their monthly rental fees are in line with what Dish charges for a DVR, and substantially higher than what DIRECTV charges, but they'll leave anything that I want behind and won't charge me a dime for it beyond the monthly fees that we've all resigned ourselves to paying for a DVR.

The thought that I, as a paying customer have some obligation to keep in mind how much it costs Dish to install a new customer is laughable. Dish wants this guy's business or they don't. He CAN find as many free DVR's as he wants. It's up to Dish to decide if they can do it or not.

You get a new customer deal exactly one time unless you are willing to hop between providers every two years. I don't have any problem with a person getting anything and everything that they can before committing to a contract that locks them into service for two years.

16. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    A better question is, what makes you so special that you are entitled to a better deal than any other customer. If cable's better, go, if Direct is better, go.

17. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    There's never anything wrong with asking for anything and everything... but you should never expect anything.

I always encourage people to ask, because you never know...but to expect and think you deserve and get mad if you aren't offered the deal you want? That's entitlement issues.

You're right that Dish decides whether they want you as a customer or not... but you decide if you want to be a Dish customer or not.

The process should be.... Dish offers a deal, you ask for something better... Dish either counters or doesn't... and you decide if it is worth it. Done deal or not, there shouldn't be any entitlement or anger involved.

18. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Amen! That's the way I look at it. I'll always ask for the moon and know that I will probably get something less, but I just might get more than they planned on giving me in the first place.

19. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    I think that's pretty much what I've been saying. Bshady gets a deal that he wants, or he moves on. Its well beyond ridiculous to say that he is being shady, or that he has some sense of entitlement to expect 2 free Hoppers. If he can get it, why shouldn't he? If he can't get it from Dish, he isn't suffering from any kind of entitlement affliction if he goes somewhere else, like the HR34 and additional HR from D* for free.

He should be able to ask for anything that he wants.

20. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That may be the biggest disconnect between early satellite service and what we have today ... in the "good old days" of DBS there was a lot more investment by the customer. Buying their own equipment and perhaps getting a rebate spread out over 20 months. A new customer might get a free basic install ($99 value) but the idea that one would get free equipment, free install, $20 off for a year, free programming.

The competition with cable companies that rely on introductory offers to survive (especially in the past few years as subscribers dropped) drove DirecTV to match the introductory offers and eventually DISH followed along. Then the existing customers got mad and started bouncing back and forth between providers to get better deals.

Some would say that satellite companies have lost touch with their customers ... that the days of Charlie and Rupert caring about their customers are as gone as having those people as the public face of the companies. But the customers seem to have lost touch with the satellite providers as well ... not understanding that the great lengths that they go to to get the signals to our homes - or simply not caring.

Anyone can ask, for anything ... just keep expectations in check.

I would not expect a second Hopper for free and if anyone offered me the second one for less than $199 I'd want the offer in writing before I accepted it. (Ok, I might accept the second Hopper for $99 if there was a valid explanation for the discount.)