1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 More options for those without Ethernet wire in the home

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by ToddD, Dec 13, 2008.

1. ToddD

ToddD Legend

Jun 14, 2006
    Gefen has announced 2 Ethernet bridges for home entertainment centers, one that bridges over power lines and one that bridges over coax.

The receiving end has a built-in 4 port switch and the bridge has a rating of 200Mbs.

More info here:
    http://www.gefen.com/kvm/news/view-news-item.jsp?news_item_id=117

2. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Looks pretty neat..........prices?

Joe

3. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    $199 (ouch!) Hopefully that is for the pair.

4. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    $199.00 might be a bargain for a few deals I have seen. It won't replace cable tacked to a cottage but fishing around in big old bed and breakfast operations can make you old.
    IF out buildings like pool structures and gazebos already have electricity they can have TV & internet without underground boring or dig ins.

Could be a good tool in the box!

Joe

5. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Those are 200 Mbps devices. 85 Mbps powerline adapters (like the ones Directv sells for $25) are adequate for On Demand or Media Share. I have used one of these for Directv2pc and it looks pretty good, but my video card is probably the limiting factor. The requirements for MRV haven't been defined yet (will fast forward require higher rates?)