2" od adapter to the old 1.65 OD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Luck255, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Luck255

Luck255 Legend

Mar 4, 2009
    I have been looking and have only found an adapter to go from the old OD to the new 2". Does anyone know of an adapter to use a 2" mast to mount an older style ODU?

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
  3. Luck255

Luck255 Legend

Mar 4, 2009
    Nice! Thanks battlezone! I guess I was running the wrong search at solid signal, I was pretty convinced I couldnt get it there and would have to find it locally at a home depot or something.

4. Luck255

Luck255 Legend

Mar 4, 2009
    After looking at it I'm not sure if I understand how it works. I would assume something like this would have a bend in it right? If it's designed to slide over a 2" OD pide and also have a 1.65 OD at the top it would have to get smaller at some point right? Or am I just looking at this wrong?

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    There's a slot on the adapter, and you slip the slot over one side of the existing 2" pipe. There are two bolts that get tightened against the 2" pipe.

This isn't a pipe, but this is how the mount works. It's the best pic I could find quickly.

[​IMG]

6. Luck255

Luck255 Legend

Mar 4, 2009
    Now I get it.... I feel pretty embarrased putting myself out there... :blush: Thanks again BattleZone

edit: at least I got it before you posted the picture. I don't feel quite as bad.

7. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    IF you have the recent 2" mast in place you can just take a hack saw and cut vertical slots about 3" down the mast. Tap all remaining material in and bang the old dish down the mast. Crank down on the mast bolts after alignment of the AZ. Works in the dark, in the rain or snow and will probably work until the correct mast is available.

Joe

8. D-Bamatech

D-Bamatech Godfather

Jun 28, 2006
    What i used yrs & yrs ago when D* originated and Prime star went away.
    (every prime star to D*tv conversion practically, we used this pole adapter)

still to this day, every old prime star dish/pole i see,
    i check to see if there is this adapter sitting on it to retrieve. ;)

Quality Real Iron made also.
    Just dont over tighten the "cap screw bolts",
    you could twist the bolt heads right off of them.

9. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007

That adapter looks like a horrible design. The two bolt clamp points are positioned so that they have very little leverage to hold the adapter in place. I understand that it is meant to placed down over the edge of the old mounting mast and not a flat metal plat as pictured, but that still doesn't seem like it would be very stable.

Is anyone here actually using this? It seems like the bolts would have to be torqued down very tight to hold it steady and even then it might be fairly easy to move given the approximately 3 feet of leverage that will exist at the far edge of the mounted dish.

Isn't anyone selling a simple adapter with a 2" OD and an ID that that matches the OD of the old smaller masts?