1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 tuner mode

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by pmalve, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pmalve

pmalve Legend

Mar 31, 2003
    I am helping my friend hook back up his hr20-100. After getting reauthorized I cant get tuner 2 to work? Switched cables and both cables work on tuner 1. Is there a setting to change to 2 tuner mode. In the info box it shows both tuners ok but only 1 tuner 1 says Sat and record. Tuner2 says Sat.

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Do a menu reset and it should detect the 2nd tuner on start up.

3. pmalve

pmalve Legend

Mar 31, 2003
    Just tried that, no luck. Took off the b band converter, didn't help. Any other suggestions?

4. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Have you tried to just go ahead and record 2 programs at once, maybe to ping the tuner back to life? Or if you try that and it fails, any error messages displayed?

5. pmalve

pmalve Legend

Mar 31, 2003
    Yes, tried recording what was on and changing channel. Get the error message that tuner is in use.

6. 69hokie

69hokie Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    Have you gone back through the satellite setup again? I think I recall a choice in there somewhere that you tell the receiver that it has one or two connections.

7. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    On the HR20 it detects the SAT tuners on start up, not the satellite setup.

8. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    I think the HR20 automatically detects what's there on reboot. BTW there seem to be a lot of threads floating around today on single and dual tuner issues with the HRs! ;)

9. 69hokie

69hokie Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    Yup, you're correct...must have been my HR10-250 I am remembering having a selection of one or two connections.

10. kirkusinnc

kirkusinnc AllStar

Apr 24, 2006
    Just pulled a second coax to my HR20-700. After connecting it up with the BBC, I had to do a receiver reset to get the box to activate and use the 2nd tuner. I repeated satellite setup and can confirm it does not ask anything there about single or dual tuners.

The odd thing is that System Test did see the second tuner as soon as it was connected (before the reset) but the Signal Strength screen did not work for Tuner 2.

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    How long has your 5 LNB been installed? I had the same problem and had the dish realigned the other day and the problem went away. I think a lot of people are going to have problems with 5 LNB dishes that were installed a while ago. When mine was installed the installer told me it was set up as a 3 LNB and he couldn't set it up as a 5 LNB because he couldn't read sat feeds from a satellite that hadn't been launched yet. Seemed logical at the time. And still does. Only took the last tech a few minutes to realign it. All he did was raise the elevation a couple of degrees. The rest of the alignments were OK.

12. pmalve

pmalve Legend

Mar 31, 2003
    Well my friend gave up and had me put the SD tivo receiver back in. He has decided he isn't supposed to watch HD. Too bad as he has a nice sony LCD tv. Well if D doesn't send him the return label for the box maybe I'll have a new receiver. I can see where a lot of people would go back to cable if they didn't have patience to try new things. He had 4 hr20 receivers that he had trouble with. He showed me the problem on one of the yankee games he had recorded on Yeshd.. Lot's of pixelations and breakups. He was on software version 15something. Told him that 18 was more stable but he had had enough. Just wants to turn tv on and be able to watch without problems.

Thanks for everyones help.

13. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    4 HR20's ?

My suggestion.... examine setup between the Dish and where the unit is being installed.

And if he was on version 15something... then he is about 6 months behind in updates, which would continue to lead to something wrong with his setup.... or he has a very damaged HR20 in place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.