1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2010 week 2 - cancellations anyone?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Sep 28, 2010.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Monday results are in:

[​IMG]

A couple of things about this chart.

First, I show how many fewer viewers there are this week over last week. Roughly at 8 pm and 9 pm there we 2 million fewer viewing the broadcast networks. They may be watching cable channels, playing games with their kids, on their computers, sleeping, whatever.

Second, at 8:30 in last week's numbers I have ESPN's "Monday Night Football" which demonstrates that there are 15 million viewers who aren't watching the broadcast networks because football is on cable.

Lastly, I stuck in the 9:30 ratings because the 9:00 ratings get skewed with the "House" overrun. This demonstrates, much to my chagrin that "Lone Star" has a chance only if someone at Fox wants to subsidize it with "Glee" profits. If so, that someone will be fired by Rupert Murdoch. It would have been a good FX show, but what do I know?

Finally, it looks like the 2 million who didn't come back this week tuned in last Monday to watch "The Event" and said: "What was that all about?" But as someone in another thread reminded me, it's NBC so they more or less have to stick with it, at least until they get a 12 overweight people together to eat worms while leaping onto big rubber balls in a pool for $200 an episode while the new NBC President's brother-in-law videos them on his Handycam.

2. sorentodd45

sorentodd45 AllStar

May 12, 2009
    The Event seems like a lock to get a full season. LoneStar however, well, it was nice knowing you.

Chase could go either way, but if the numbers don't pick up, it's likely a goner.

3. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    NBC will probably be a little slow to pull the trigger on any of its 1 hour shows. They didn't exactly start the season in a strong position.

4. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    That's certainly true. And at 10 pm they had Leno last year, so their affiliates are watching their every move as is Comcast.

ABC's "The Whole Truth" on Wednesday is in trouble, so I'll be curious to see what happens there.

5. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    I'm just glad Castle is pulling in viewers. I love Nathan Fillion.

6. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    Roughly how many people do the USa/FX type shows get in viewers. I am thinking Burn Notice or SOA, just curious if it is 5 mill or 10 mill or 2 mill. I feel they are far better shows as a whole and they almost all get a good shot at a full run. Of course the cable networks have about 4x fewer shows so they can put more into them I guess but do they expect 4x the viewership?

7. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Cable channels repeat the shows throughout the week creating more live viewership. So they have a different standard. And as "Mad Men" star Jon Hamm noted in a recent interview, cable shows operate on a smaller budget.

A great cable show rating has 8 million viewers (ignoring ESPN's Monday Night Football). A recent MediaPost article gives a feel for how that market works. But in terms of raw total numbers a MediaWeek article today gives statistics like:
    I hope this answers your questions as there is an "apples and oranges" element to how the broadcast networks and cable channel advertising markets work. However, the numbers are there, sort of.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    TVbythenumbers.com is calling Outlaw a goner. They're not saying it's cancelled yet, but pretty much guaranteed to be a one season show at best. Not a new show, but they are also calling The Good Guys as cancelled.

Chuck isn't looking too good either.

9. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Castle is doing well, but they revised its numbers down to 2.8 I think because MNF ran on the ABC affiliate in the Green Bay area so it skewed the early numbers.

10. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Chuck isn't feeling right this season .. I'm not shocked to see this.

11. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I'm waiting for the full overnight ratings for last night, though the fast affiliate ratings are out. I thought I'd mention some of last week's prime time cable ratings for comparison when we can see what the broadcast networks did.

Last Tuesday:
    • "Sons of Anarchy" (FX) 1.8/5 3.48 million
    • "Teen Mom" (MTV) 1.9/5 3.35 million
    • "Warehouse 13" (Syfy) 0.8/2 2.45 million
    When you realize that the cable channels do not have to share advertising revenue time with locals, you can begin to understand why The CW ratings (in the first post) cause many to wonder out loud why it just doesn't go cable and forget affiliates, why "Lonestar" had to be canceled, and why NBC's troubles are very real for NBCU management when they look at their cable channels USA, Syfy, and Bravo for comparison.

This morning NBCU management is also wondering why they didn't just tell their affiliates "butt out" on the Leno issue as last night's fast affiliate rating for the costly to produce "Parenthood" was 2.0/6 4.85 million while Leno on the comparable night was a very profitable 2.2/6 6.58 million. The lowest rating Leno got on a fall season Tuesday night last year was a 1.8/5 4.67 million and generally was at least a million viewers above that.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It was hilarious to have Isaiah Mustafa, Old Spice Guy, as Greta, but of course that's a one episode thing. Overall, I see what you're saying.

13. sorentodd45

sorentodd45 AllStar

May 12, 2009
    I'll bet that Parenthood gets shipped off to Friday, once Outlaw gets canned. Tuesday is a high profile night and Parenthood is just sucking the life out of that time slot. It actually got decent numbers last season; but that was last season.

14. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Tuesday results:

[​IMG]

Not much here to talk about.

At 8 pm ABC's new show "No Ordinary Family" didn't do as well as last week's "Dancing with the Stars" but did ok.

At 9 pm "Dancing with the Stars" lost viewers apparently to "NCIS: LA".

At 10 pm NBC's "Parenthood" did lose ground. But what else are they going to do?

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    With No Ordinary Family going up against Glee, not much of a surprise. I'll probably keep it, Tuesday is a really light night for me in terms of recordings.

16. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I just cancelled Running Wilde from my series link and feel it will be another FOX casualty sooner rather then later

17. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Me, too. Half way through the episode this week. Train wreck.

18. xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    Is the CW not keeping viewers with what's left of Smallville. I still watch afterwards I could care less what happens to that network.

19. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    Thanks for the cable #'s that is what I was curious about. I figured those popular USA and FX shows had more live viewers but they do very well against the CW and it shows why Lonestar is canned with 3 mil. viewers.

I'm also frankly amazed at the Dancing with the Stars numbers, I am in the middle of that demo and could care less about it and don't know anyone else that cares, or maybe they are closet viewers. It always made me mad because it screwed my Lost timer up in previous years.

20. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Last week's rating was 1.3/5 2.9 million which was about the same as the typical ratings last fall. It should be enough to keep a season alive on The CW as it had higher ratings then "90210", "Gossip Girl", "One Tree Hill", "Life Unexpected", "America's Next Top Model", "Hellcats", and "Supernatural". Only "Vampire Diaries" and "Nikita" did any better.