1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2010 week 5 - NBC spins

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Oct 19, 2010.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Here's Monday (you can click on the image to bring up a bigger version):

[​IMG]

"Chuck", "The Event", and "Chase" keep losing ground. So NBC gave "Chuck" a new season order and "Chase" an additional episodes order for this season.

Regarding "Chase" the NBC news release said the show is "an 18 percent improvement in the time period versus year-ago" which compares it the the Leno fiasco. Regarding "Chuck" they noted it "is heavily time-shifted, adding 29 percent to its "live plus same day" 18-49 rating when Nielsen issued "live plus seven day" results." Yeah....

NBC also issued a news release today saying its web site ranks #1 among its broadcast network competitors for the third calendar quarter of 2010 and the first month of the 2010-11 season.

While I'm happy about the orders for "Chuck" and "Chase", this all says a lot about NBC's dismal situation.:nono:

2. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Here's Tuesday (you can click on the image to bring up a bigger version):

[​IMG]

Fox's hit "Glee" was a rerun. Viewers were absent in droves at 8 pm. Maybe a connection?

NBC's "Parenthood" continues with its dismal 10 pm ratings.

3. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    By the way phrelin, thanks very much for these. I find them very interesting. They aren't highly encouraging much of the time, but they are informative.

4. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Glad someone else finds them interesting like I do.

Yes, they aren't encouraging.

Seeing NBC pick up a full season of "The Event," "Law & Order: Los Angeles", and "Outsourced," for instance, I'm happy they did. But they didn't have much choice.

"Outsourced" has done better over the past three weeks than "Chuck", "L&O:LA" was premiered in week 2 and has since given up the lead to "The Defenders" in both the demo and total viewers.

IMHO there is a chance in the 10 pm slot M-F for NBC to drop down to prime time Leno numbers by late Winter.

CBS with its sitcoms and police procedurals keeps it's ratings high and has done well with attorney procedural shows "The Good Wife" and "The Defenders," and has the consistently popular reality series "Survivor", "Amazing Race" and "Undercover Boss."

ABC is doing ok, but is going to have to hustle in many time slots. Outside "DWTS", their performers are sitcoms, police procedurals "Castle" and "Detroit 1-8-7", and "Grey’s Anatomy."

Fox has only one time slot with over 10 million viewers - "Glee" - and though they spin their demo numbers, they have nothing else that interests 25±% of the viewers but the police procedural "Bones."

So, "police procedurals" seems to be the meat and potatoes of American TV, with a side of sitcom for a happy heart.

5. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Don't forget reality .. there are still some wins there (for the networks .. folks may disagree that it's a win for the viewers :p) ..

As for the info? Phrelin, this is awesome and I find it very interesting myself. Unfortunately, Nielsen would often find me in the +7 (vs. the live) on the viewing of your data, though. But it's good to catch the whole week at a time.

Now, if they'd only bring FlashForward back :lol:

6. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Ditto.

7. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    +1
    Yeah that show's #'s aren't looking so bad compared to some this season right about now!

8. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Here's Wednesday (yeah, I know I'm late but every so often I actually have a life away from my computer:grin:). Again you can click on the image to get a bigger version:

[​IMG]

As I mentioned before ...or did I...well, anyway... I don't do Sunday because of the vagaries of Sunday Night Football on broadcast TV which prevent us from seeing what people might like. And these ratings, against baseball playoffs usually screw up evaluating how well shows are doing also.

However, this year it's interesting to look at the playoff ratings to compare to last year data. Game 4 of the 2009 ALCS on Fox pulled a 6.7/11 10.3 million viewers. That was the Yankees v Angels Game 4. This year with the Giants v Phillies Game 4 we have 2 million fewer viewers and a corresponding reduction in the demo. One can't help but wonder what effect Fox pulling their stations of Cablevision in New York, New Jersey, and Philadelphia had on Fox's ratings. Anyway...

Allowing for the impact of the playoff game, no significant changes occurred in the ratings of other shows. We just have more people watching, tuning in the game live.

9. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I don't think we'll see Survivor dropping from the schedule as long as it keeps pulling in 12 million viewers each week. Not sure what the numbers were like last year on Thursday, but it seems to be doing well in it's 21st installment on Wednesday nights.

10. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    And here's Thursday:

[​IMG]

The fifth game of the playoffs weren't off much from last year, so I guess my theory of the Fox/Cablevision dispute seriously affecting ratings was off.

Nothing new for the regular shows. Maybe some erosion because of the game, but not that much really.

11. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    "Surviver: Somoa" pulled about the same number of viewers and same demo at 8 pm on Thursday last year. Pulling those numbers on Wednesday this year is a big win for CBS (last year was "Old Christine" and "Gary Unmarried").

And they are holding the viewers this year at 8 pm on Thursday with "Big Bang Theory" and "Dad Says."

It's a win-win for the eye.

12. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    By the way, NBC's lineup on Thursday is a ratings disaster. With Fox's Game 5 in the schedule last year, Leno pulled 1.8/5 5.35 million which was better than everything in the NBC schedule this year but "The Office" and so far ahead of "The Apprentice" this year one has to wonder what the affiliates are saying now about the lead-in to local news.

13. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I may not post in you’re TV ratings threads daily but do look forward to reading the comparisons in the ratings here daily. Keep them coming ++1

14. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Here's Friday. Again you can click on the image to get a bigger version:

[​IMG]

The only puzzle is why we haven't read about "Good Guys." Sweeps is October 28 – November 24, 2010 and usually Fox at least pulls their Friday loser. I've seen a report that one of the Fox O&O affiliates on their own shifted it to 11 pm last night.

As has been the case for several years now, CBS does fine on Friday particularly if one accepts the fact that they kept "Medium" on because of syndication revenue.

Regarding NBC. On Friday, October 23, 2009, the NBC lineup ratings were 8 pm "Law & Order" 1.5/5 7.17 million as compared to the awful rating "School Pride" got last night. In 2009 9 pm "Dateline" 1.8/6 7.92 million compared to this year's pathetic showing.

Regarding the much decried Leno, looking back here's reality for the powers that now be at the Peacock and its affiliates:

Monday
    2009 Leno 1.4/4 4.74 million
    2010 Chase 1.6/4 5.17 million

Tuesday
    2009 Leno 2.0/5 5.79 million
    2010 Parenthood 1.9/5 4.89 million

Wednesday
    2009 Leno 1.5/4 5.18 million
    2010 Law & Order: LA 2.4/7 8.05 million

Thursday
    2009 Leno 1.8/4 4.55 million
    2010 The Apprentice 1.384 3.57 million

Friday
    2009 Leno 1.4/5 6.15 million
    2010 Dateline 1.1/4 4.85 million

Leno was relatively cheap for NBC. I assume their affiliates are helping out financially on the much more expensive "Chase", "Parenthood" and "Law & Order: LA.":rolleyes:

15. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Perhaps 3 (or 4) nights of Leno with the other two 10pm slots for Law & Order (wherever) and NBC would have found a happy medium. They could have even kept Conan and his buyout.