2011 NFL Sunday Ticket Current DTV Customers Best Deal?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Sim-X, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Jul 29, 2011 #1 of 294
    Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009
    I remember seeing a thread last year I think it was here about prices people were offered for Sunday Ticket for current customers but I can't find one for this year. It was just people posting on what deal they were offered or took for the upcoming NFL season. I think last year I got mine for like $180 after monthly bill credit with free NFL 2 Go. I don't remember for sure but would like to know what people are getting offered before I call in so I know the lowest they will go for this year.

2. Jul 29, 2011 #2 of 294
    nickff

nickff Legend

Dec 8, 2007
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=194822

Discounts people received begin in earnest around page 3 or 4...

3. Jul 29, 2011 #3 of 294
    wylie73

wylie73 New Member

Oct 9, 2009
    How long does it usually take for the Credits to show up on your account page? All of the other changes to my plan show up, but not the credit yet. :confused:

4. Jul 29, 2011 #4 of 294
    MarkG21

MarkG21 AllStar

Jan 3, 2010
    Should be immediately.

5. Jul 29, 2011 #5 of 294
    wylie73

wylie73 New Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Thanks, guess I need to call back again...

6. Jul 29, 2011 #6 of 294
    HDJulie

HDJulie Icon

Aug 10, 2008
    My credit has never shown up as a line item. I got a $250 discount (but no tax credit) a week ago & received an email confirmation. I have Sunday Ticket showing now with the $334 charge plus tax & my balance shows $105 so the $250 credit is there but it does not show up in my recent activity. I assume it will show up on the bill.

7. Jul 29, 2011 #7 of 294
    Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009
    That's a pretty good deal, did u have to resign your contract?

8. Jul 29, 2011 #8 of 294
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    DirecTV has definitely fudged up before with contract extension/renewal before, but unless a receiver is being added there's no contract stuff to deal with.

9. Jul 29, 2011 #9 of 294
    Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009
    ok cool, am gonna have to call in the next week or so.

10. Jul 29, 2011 #10 of 294
    wylie73

wylie73 New Member

Oct 9, 2009
    I called back and another very nice Retention CSR had me fixed up in about 5 minutes. The $240 credit is now posted on my online account. No, I didn't have to resign.

11. Jul 29, 2011 #11 of 294
    wylie73

wylie73 New Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Here are the steps I used (these were posted on the other thread by pappy97):
    1.) Call 1-800-DIRECTV during the day. Don’t call at night since they do have one outsourced call center and you don’t want that.

2.) When asked why you are calling at the first automated prompt, say “CANCEL SERVICE.” You’ll be asked by the automated prompt if you want to cancel some programming or your entire service, say again “CANCEL SERVICE.” All this does is direct your call to a Retention Department Customer Service Rep (CSR). You want Retention CSR’s only because they hand out credits and freebies like candy.

3.) Doing this connects you to the retention CSR. They won’t say “retention,” and likewise, you should never say anything about cancelling your service to a live person.

4.) For me, if I draw a male CSR, I usually hang up and start over since I find the female retention CSR’s are the best in terms of deals/credits. Some people find this extreme though and it’s not technically necessary.

5.) When you speak to them, be very friendly and naïve. If they offer you a great deal at some point, you should sound like you are blown away, not expecting it.

6.) Mention that you saw the deal that NFL ST is now included if you get the premier pkg and you want it. 99.99% chance they will respond that it is a new customer offer only, but if in the slight chance they let you get that, take it. It’s too good of a deal to pass up.

Step 7 skipped, it was for someone else in particular.

8.) Ask them something to the effect of “Money is tight this year, what can you do for me?” At this point they should make you an offer for NFL ST for this season. Anything from free all the way down to $10/month off for 6-12 months. If the deal offered is free or $250 one-time credit, take it and run. If not, proceed with next steps.

9.) If you get anything else that you don’t like, mention that you have some friends you know of who are getting a one-time $250 credit. This is 100% true, I have seen people’s account statements with this credit. Ideally that should get you the $250 credit or maybe something on the order of $200. You may also get other discounts or freebies that you can consider.

10.) If the deal at that point is awesome, confirm the deal with them and take it.

11.) If the deal is not that great, just tell them you need to think about what you are going to do this year for football and end the call.

12.) Start back at step 1 again if you passed on the deal from the first call. The offers will vary based on which CSR you get, what kind of mood they are in, and how much they like you, etc. Being friendly is key. Sometimes it takes several calls. Usually the best bet is try again the next day, although if it is closer to the beginning of the season, trying again in an hour or so is okay too.

13.) For future calls, you can say the same thing you have said before OR simply talk about how expensive it is, but you (or your wife) really wants it.

12. Jul 29, 2011 #12 of 294
    fsquid

fsquid Godfather

Aug 30, 2006
    Jacksonville...
    nice list Wylie, thanks

13. Jul 29, 2011 #13 of 294
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Decided to give it one shot.

Since I'll watch just about any game (except the Cowboys), I'm usually content without NFLST, but I did have it a couple of years ago for free, so if I could get close to that I'd go for it.

Was offered $150 credit and that was the best she could do. She did give me the Red Zone Channel for free though, so I'm happy.

I could probably try back, but I'll just stick with the Red Zone Channel, since that's what I watch most of the time anyway.

14. Jul 29, 2011 #14 of 294
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You don't want to watch all the Lions' games and see them win the North this year?

15. Jul 29, 2011 #15 of 294
    spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I'm just hoping they make the Red Zone Channel at least once per week.

16. Jul 29, 2011 #16 of 294
    Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009

This is an excellent write up. I always love making deals have been doing this with Sprint for a long time. I have got Sprint to do all kinds of things for me as long as you pitch things correctly and are friendly. Also you can't get discouraged doing it either. A lot of it is the luck of the draw, I got Sprint to give me my Sero plan back coming from ED 450 which people said couldn't be done. Anyway enough about that.

I gave DTV a call and worked out a nice little deal. The lady I got was nice, she sounded new and paused a lot during our conversation. I think someone else was on the line coaching her. First she offered me last years deal which was $20 off credit for I think it was 6 months. So I kinda played back a little bit and eventually got to just flat out asking about the $250 credit I heard some people have got. She put me on hold for a couple of min, came back and said she can do $200. That's actually pretty good but wanted to push to see how much I could get. She wouldn't budge on $250 so I started asking about a MRC credit instead. After waiting it out she said she will do $10 credit for 6 months and a one time $200 credit. So a total of $260 I'm pretty happy with that deal. So after wrapping up the call I went to confirm everything and I guess my deal does not included Sunday Ticket 2GO which on the website it says it's free right now but I'm not a new customer. I tried to wait her out on the 2Go but didn't wanna push 2 hard since I already got the extra $60 out of her. So no to go but I'm gonna call back a different time and see if I can get it added. I know last year when I took the deal I forgot about the 2go they ended up giving it to me for free after calling back. Not sure if they will this time but will wait and see. Either way a great deal I'm pretty happy.

She also said I got the "early discount" price of $323 instead of $335.

So $323 -$200 = $123 -$60 ($10X6 months) = $63 bucks with no 2go access but I'm gonna try for that at another date. If not not the end of the world I only used it a few times last year or even if I called and added it for sticker price it would still be a very good deal even compare to last year. The lady was nice to me I didn't wanna hold her out that long after pushing. So that's my deal, good luck to everyone else and thank you wylie for the write up, great steps for people new to making deals. I'll post back if I end up getting 2Go.

17. Jul 29, 2011 #17 of 294
    doug4772

doug4772 New Member

Jul 29, 2011
    They didn't give me the Sunday Ticket deal, but I was interested in a Whole Home DVR System.

The regular CSR offered me $100 credit, but that still left $162.99 to pay out of pocket.

The retention csr gave me $220 in credits ($180 spread out over 6 months and a one time $50 credit). This leaves a diff of $32.88. Quite a difference.

Plus, I squeezed a $10/mo credit out of the normal CSR earlier in the day. Not a bad days work. :)

-Doug

18. Jul 29, 2011 #18 of 294
    dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    They essentially show some of every game.

19. Jul 29, 2011 #19 of 294
    spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Only if a team actually makes it into the Red Zone*, which was my point about the Lions.

*although technically their opponent could be in the Red Zone.

20. Jul 29, 2011 #20 of 294
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Considering how good Megatron and a healthy starting QB are I would say that should not be a problem. I watched a lot of Lions games last year. Their offense was something else last year. I think it should be plenty good this year especially if the QB stays healthy.