DBSTalk Forum banner

2012-13 Season Ratings - Winter

8K views 73 replies 20 participants last post by  phrelin 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm bringing the ratings thread back on request.

Unfortunately, my temporary employment gig has been extended one month, so even though I'm starting this thread in January I may not be able to post every day and will have to play catch up as I'm doing right now. :grin:

Nothing surprising here. Whenever their on, NFL playoffs are going to dominate the ratings until the Super Bowl. CBS is going to dominate the Sunday 9 pm and 10 pm slots in terms of total and 50+ viewers while Fox's animated series and the weight-challenged on NBC fight over the demo. ABC will continue to do just Ok with "Once Upon A Time" and "Revenge." Of course, not listed here is the PBS series "Downton Abbey" two hour premier which pulled 7.9 million total viewers and for which I have no demo data.

With CBS offering reruns and Fox offering a rerun of "Bones", the ABC and NBC Monday competition shows had a free shot at catching some folks from 8 to 9. I don't think they did all that well, but we'll see next week. Even though Fox showed the series finale of the ratings loser "Mob Doctor" which we loved, the two competition shows didn't do all that well from 9-10 either.

At 10 pm, ABC's "Deception" premier did win the demo curious with a rerun on CBS, barely beating "Castle" which did much better in the 50+ crowd.

CBS won another Tuesday with "NCIS" still leading the way with 20.87 viewers. However, the 10:00 "Parenthood" demo win is worth noting and to all you other elders out there, "Parenthood" is one of the best written, directed, and acted dramas-without-dead-bodies to appear on TV in awhile. I'm sorry, but "Vegas" is just another cop show in the end. The younger demo has figured this out - yeah, only because NBC stuck with the show for multiple years - but they figured it out.

Next week, discussion of "American Idol" will dominate the Wednesday ratings discussions. This week really offers no hint about the season other than L&O producer Dick Wolf's interesting "Chicago Fire" may be around for more than one season.

Again, "Idol" will lead the Thursday ratings discussion next week. But this week is indicative of the likelihood that new "Big Bang Theory" and "Two and a Half Men" episodes will continue to diminish the "Idol" demo. What we do see here is "Grey's Anatomy" getting "long-of-tooth" and the clever and enjoyable "Person of Interest" has become an established ratings winner at 9 pm. ABC's clever and intriguing "Scandal" and the CBS' surprising and interesting "Elementary" will likely continue to battle at 10 pm. Both are pretty well done.

Friday still belongs to CBS. We'll see what happens at 9:00 when Fox offers a second season of "Touch" beginning February 8.

See less See more
#4 ·
SayWhat? said:
Ummm, it's "How I Met Your Mother"

This ain't no teeney bopper little blue birdie warblin' site.
Yeah, but it's too long for the column width I've allotted and I thought it was better than "Met Your Mother". But I'll accept suggestions. ;)

#6 ·
BattleZone said:
FWIW, this "Vegas" is a brand new show, and shouldn't be confused with previous shows named Vegas or Las Vegas.
So true. This one could be called a "period piece" and it's very well done. I record it as well as "Parenthood" and "Private Practice" in the Tuesday 10 pm time slot.

Both the "Parenthood" season (?) finale and "Private Practice" series finale are on January 22. ABC is going with a new season of "Body of Proof" and NBC is offering the next season of "Smash."

While I'll record both, I have a hunch "Vegas" will cement a Tuesday 10 pm ratings lead by the end of the season.

#11 ·
phrelin said:
Yeah, but it's too long for the column width I've allotted and I thought it was better than "Met Your Mother". But I'll accept suggestions. ;)
First, let me say thanks for posting these again. The number of others who have also responded convinces me, and should you, that these were anticipated, appreciated, and missed. I know... your schedule... but I *DID* miss them.

As far as "How I Met UR Mom" goes, anyone, even the poster who complained, could tell without ambiguity what the program was, so don't bother messing with it. We'll get used to it.

I wonder what next Friday, and Fringe series finale will show. Some people say that it is artificially down-rated because so many people watch it from DVRs rather than live. I would expect that the finale might get many of them to watch it live, and might more accurately reflect the actual popularity of the show.

#13 ·

I had to wait until the final ratings were out for Sunday and even then I'm not sure they indicate anything.

First we have the football overrun on CBS which, because it's live, didn't affect all time zones the same. So those ratings aren't really for 7 pm to 8 pm.

Then there's the Golden Globes on NBC. In my DMA, the San Francisco-San Jose-etc. area, KNTV ran the Globes Red Carpet from 4 pm to 5 pm. They ran The Globes from 5 pm to 8 pm and then repeated them from 8 pm to 11 pm. So I have no idea what time period those ratings are for.

All I can comment on is that "The Good Wife" and "The Mentalist" on CBS held up pretty well opposite the Globes.

Monday night's results indicate how the competition is likely to go. The only deviation from the regular schedule is that "Bones" returned with a 2 hour show, unless one doesn't ignore The CW which had a rerun at 9 pm.

For the 8 to 10 pm period the race averaged as follows:

CBS 3.8/7.7 11.42
ABC 2.5/4.9 7.40
NBC 2.5/3.8 6.28
Fox 2.2/5.8 7.91
CW 0.5/0.8 1.27

As I suspected, "Deception" on ABC at 10 pm will be the live ratings loser. The premier needed a director or a better star or both. I'll record it as I suspect there is a chance that by episode 5 it might be better. But I don't know if I'll get around to watching it. I feel sorry for Victor Garber as he hasn't landed a role in a show with a second season since "Alias".

#15 ·
Church AV Guy said:
As far as "How I Met UR Mom" goes, anyone, even the poster who complained, could tell without ambiguity what the program was, so don't bother messing with it. We'll get used to it.
ChatSpeak is a symbol of the dumbing down of society, but if you want to get used to that, Oh well.

Reviewing those lists, there isn't a single show I watch regularly. I've recorded a couple of the sit-coms, but that's about it. Mostly 90s or prior stuff for me.

#16 ·
SayWhat? said:
ChatSpeak is a symbol of the dumbing down of society, but if you want to get used to that, Oh well.

Reviewing those lists, there isn't a single show I watch regularly....
That's probably because there's a lot of hours of dumbed down TV because of the dumbing down of.....:sure:

Tuesday night is owned by CBS. Running slightly higher than NBC's comedies, Fox's comedies hold a distant second for 8-10 pm. NBC's "Parenthood" is still winning the demo at 10 pm, but only gets a third of the over 50 crowd.

"American Idol" is still a winner for Fox but continues its slide into old age as it was down 19% from last year. "Criminal Minds" at 9 pm on CBS holds it own as do the ABC comedies from 8-10 pm.

"Idol" was flat on its second night compared to last year, but it is still down from its early years. ABC should have followed the CBS choice of reruns as it was down even at 10 pm. NBC three hour average was in the demo was 1.5 million, in the 50+ 2.4 million. They should just run the best of old movies.

#17 ·

CBS owns Friday night as can be seen from the averages:

The "Fringe" series finale did well for a cable channel, but unfortunately it was on Fox. Oh well.

And for the week, CBS is still the strongest network even though some of the others have strong reality/contest shows:

I'm not sure what this says about us. While CBS does have some very good shows that aren't crime procedurals, it really is the network of Counting Bodies Shows:

The Mentalist
Hawaii 5-0
NCIS
NCIS: LA
Vegas
Criminal Minds
CSI
Person of Interest
Elementary
CSI: NY
Blue Bloods​

I guess 11 out of 19 hours still leaves 8 hours of programming which might not result in somebody getting shot, bludgeoned, stabbed, or poisoned. :sure:

#18 ·
guess 11 out of 19 hours still leaves 8 hours of programming which might not result in somebody getting shot, bludgeoned, stabbed, or poisoned.
...but where's the fun in that?

#20 ·
I must be super normal as I seem to be watching most of the top shows. Only Arrow & Supernatural killed my record at looking at the highest rated show.

#21 ·
I have gotten a bit behind again, but by the end of next week I have more time as my temporary gig will end at the end of next week. Easier to read spreadsheet html version of each day requested by some can be accessed by clicking on the image.

As is frequently the case, an NFL playoff made Sunday's ratings meaningless.

CBS who the demo and the over 50 crowd. There isn't much else to say other than "The Following" premier came in second in its hour but may have trouble holding it.

What this set of ratings proves is that a lot of people don't watch TV if CBS runs reruns. Other than that, "The Taste" premier did fine, but when the top rated show on TV returns from reruns.....

"Idol" continues it's year-to-year slide. It will be interesting to see what happens when CBS premiers a new season of "Survivor." However, CBS did only win the 10 pm slot. ABC's "Nashville" continues its slide.

With CBS running reruns, the night was wide open. The thing is, Nielsen February sweeps starts next Thursday, January 31, and runs through February 27. Except against "Idol" CBS has the most viewers even with reruns.

I'll have tonight's results tomorrow and take a look at the week's averages.

#22 ·

Except for the two "news" show, this was a night of reruns.

Here are the averages for the three weeks. If one factors out "American Idol" on Fox, CBS has twice the live viewing audience of any other broadcast network. Because CBS had the Sunday NFL playoff game, even with "Idol" in the mix this week CBS averaged twice the live viewing audience running a lot of reruns. I hope they are paying Les Moonves a lot of money.

Next Thursday is the start of February sweeps. It will be interesting to see what happens as other networks introduce new series into the mix.

#23 ·

You can click on the image above to see a larger version.

Again, we have an NFL game, the Pro Bowl, to distort the ratings. And, of course, it did not appear at the same time in every time zone. Nonetheless, CBS chose to run new episodes of its shows and did ok.

I haven't been able to find ratings for "Downton Abbey" since the season premier. I would be curious to see if those ratings are meaningful.

#24 ·
phrelin said:
..."Mob Doctor" which we loved,...
Really? Who's "we"? Got a mouse in your pocket? That thing is deader than Conrad Bain, and for a good reason, which is that "we", hardly loved it.

OK, that was probably harsh; I should not bash, you've done some really great hard work here. But no one is going to digest those numbers in a dry chart.

Here is what I suggest: write a program in Excel or Numbers that automatically imports these numbers into a 3-D bar chart. X axis is shows, Y axis is timeslot, Z axis is ratings. Then we could see at a glance where a show is, and how that relates to other shows. Do the same thing with a single show (make the X axis previous weeks) and we could see trends.

Do that well enough and you could start your own website. John Hein sold "Jump the Shark" for 4 mil.

#25 ·
TomCat said:
Really? Who's "we"? Got a mouse in your pocket? That thing is deader than Conrad Bain, and for a good reason, which is that "we", hardly loved it.

OK, that was probably harsh; I should not bash, you've done some really great hard work here. But no one is going to digest those numbers in a dry chart.
Generally, "we" would refer to a poster and his spouse, sig. other, family, etc.
And, mercifully, harsh has not entered this thread. So your bashing was hopefully out of character, and entirely unnecessary. Please go to your room and type "I will not bash" 400 times......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.