2016 Price Increase

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by epokopac, Jan 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
    My AT200 package is up $5.00. Just checked my account today. It's now $79.99. Time to see what I don't really watch and determine what can be cut out of the bill.

2. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I thought their commercial was all talking about a freeze on prices for 2 years. Was that for new customers only?

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    AT120 is up $5 also.

4. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yep, that was and is still, a new customer deal.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

5. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Nothing shows loyalty like rewarding the new comers right? In my books this would be the same as raising the starting wage to near to or the same as employees that had been in the company for a few years without raising the veterns wage. Just dont seem fair.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    As of January 15th, new customers can get a THREE YEAR price lock on a two year commitment. :)
    Other deals are available.

7. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    I received a 2016 Price Changes card in the mail from dish today. It says " you will receive a $5.00 monthly increase to your core programming package starting with your next bill. To thank you for being part of the dish family were giving you 1 month of epix movie channels at no cost to you and no need to call at the end it will drop automatically. Please see the enclosed insert for details to claim your gift.

8. Mark4470

Mark4470 Member

Jan 17, 2016
    I've been going round and round with cs this weekend. The way it was told to me is when h3 comes out. It will require a two year contract. They said you can get in the price lock for three years if you get a h3. But on the other hand they said the lock in deal may be gone when h3 rolls out, there is no way to tell in our system. So who knows!

9. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    dish 1.jpg dish2.jpg

10. tommiet

tommiet Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    Think the price increases are over for this year?

Just wait a few months.... Dish will raise hardware/device fees around June.

11. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    Guess what that's what Walmart has done/is doing last year and this year. 9 years of raises nearly knocked out in a year and a half.

12. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Dish has to reward new subs to get more, but there should be some good deals for those of us that have been with Dish for years too. I like Dish, and considering how much programming we get in our packages, the pricing is still down over other carriers, plus we get more channels that Direct or Cable do not offer. At least that it is here. I only have three things, AT250, Supers, and the old Blockbuster add on for $10 a month. But with the way programmers are demanding more and more money, the prices have to go up, if we want those channels. There is no choice. Some cut the cord by watching OTA and streaming with the Roku and that works for some, but in the case of the Roku, several cable channels are available like History & USA, but the person has to sub to those channels on cable or satellite to get any content. So it is a double edged sword. One plus is, the shows are there on Demand too.

13. dough_boy747

dough_boy747 Mentor

Jun 18, 2004
    Panther WV
    for the price increase they would give us more channels like METV and other HD channels lol but that is the right you have in the USA to pay bills and die lol

14. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I don't know what the contracts are like between the OTA station and the diginet (METV, Get TV, etc), but some may have open contracts like Get TV and they can be on both. If you look at what the OTA market is like in LA, about every classic TV service is available there. Most markets do not have that many OTA stations to offer everything to viewers. Maybe Dish could carry diginets in markets they are not available, but that would be a lot of work to decide who could and who could not have them. We do have Family Net via Rural TV, FETV gives us COZI part time, and Blue Highways, we have Laff., as well as Get TV full time. So we are getting more of them. With the new repacking of the TV spectrum one engineer told me that there may not be the room left to carry all of the diginets and they will have to find other ways to get their programming out, so streaming, cable, or satellite, or maybe all. At least at that point, a viewer will not need to live in a city like LA, NY, Chicago, etc to get everything. Time will tell. Stay tuned...

15. EdJ

EdJ Legend

Jan 9, 2007
    Hmmmm.... I already get EPIX ($7/mo). I wonder how they will deal with that? Reduce my bill for one month?

16. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    Some people are receiving free pay per view certificates. Check your online account as there was no notice to most. I received 2 in December that expire in March.

17. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Everything Pak went up $8 --- 6%. I was expecting the usual $5. Got two free PPV coupons in the mail. Not happy but still cheaper than Comcast in this area and I wouldn't have Direct even if it were free.

18. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    I guess ESPN has to get paid some how. They lost their shirts with 40 bowl games; most with low ratings; and low attendance.

Fro me it is a 3% - 4% increase, well above reported inflation.

It is cheaper than Comcast. But, as each year goes by, the content continues to decline. To many reality shows, too many commercials very little new programming, and cut movies when they are shown.

I mainly have what I have because I like movies, and I enjoy TCM. But, 8 hour marathon blocks of the same show day, after day, on many channels has gotten very old.

And new programming, is popping up in places like MTV, El Rey, FreeForm (ABC Family) and even Logo. But, networks like History, A&E, National Geographic, Discovery (all of them) continue their rapid decline.

It gets harder and harder to absorb increases for junk. I have found streaming Pluto (it has a Mystery Space 3000 channel), and OTA subchannels are offering more and more variety.

An example, GetTV there is more variety on that channel than on 20 or so cable channels combined.

1 person likes this.
  19. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    I'm in the same boat as you...I just emailed them asking if there is another option since I'm already getting EPIX. I'll let you know what they say

(btw-i did check and I haven't had any PPV cert added to my acct)

20. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I love all of the channels that now run classic old shows. I do wish that the Sports Channels were in a separate package, as our bills would be a lot lower. I have no idea how much Dish charges us to have all of the Sports channels, but considering how many there are, it probably adds up to quite a bit.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.