2016 Sunday Ticket Pricing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by cmasia, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Jan 16, 2016 #1 of 511
    cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Channel 113 is showing the pricing for the 2016 NFL season of ST.

6 payments of $42.99 for a total of $257.94.

I didn't see a price for ST Max on screen, but Swanni - yeah, I know - has ST Max at 6 payments of $59.99 for a total of $359.94

It's a 2.4% increase on ST and a 1.7% increase on ST Max.

I ditched ST for the first time last year when they only offered me a small discount off the regular price. I was able to negotiate Red Zone for free.

In Vegas, we got 116 of the 256 game season WITHOUT Sunday ticket, and with RZ, I had my fill of football every week.

ST Max at $360 for those 140 extra games makes no sense to me at all.
    That's $2.57 per game and all of them are crammed into a single 7 hour window.
    No thanks, especially since I have no out of market favorite team.

This kind of pricing makes MLBEI and NHLCI at about 10 cents per game an absolute steal.

I'll be curious to see if the Vegas market gets stuffed with 16 Rams games next year. Until now, we've had the luxury of getting the 3 best games every week in the 10:00AM and 1:00PM windows (Pacific time).

Edit: They've included language clarifying the lack of the streamed games from London.

2. Jan 16, 2016 #2 of 511
    raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Never pay list price for ST.

3. Jan 16, 2016 #3 of 511
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Sounds like your not who Sunday Ticket is marketed for. Its for the misplaced fan or that person that wants all the games really. I am a Manning fan and love Blake Bortles as well as several other Jags all while I live in Oklahoma. So if I wanna see very many of either of those teams, I need Sunday Ticket. I also love Calvin Johnson and we dont get many Lions games here. Not to mention I play Fantasy Football which makes Sunday Ticket a fantastic option for Sundays.

Its a must have for me. That being said, I have had Sunday Ticket since 2008 and I have only paid anything for it 1 year out of that time frame. If I have to pay full price, I would do the plain jane ST as I dont think mobile is worth $90-$100 more.

2 people like this.
  4. Jan 16, 2016 #4 of 511
    cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Hi, joshjr.

No arguments with your comments on how different people value the package.

And I also agree with raott's comments. Anyone paying full price for ST just isn't paying attention. I'll bet, however, at least 2 / 3 of residential subs do pay the full boat.

I'm sure the bean counters have done the math, but if only about 10 to 15% of DirecTV subs have ST, I wonder how much they'd have to reduce the price in order attract the number of additional subs necessary to make up the shortfall.

I also wonder if the NFL is happy with the current balance of price and subscribers, so as not to rock the boat with FOX and CBS.

Cheers,
    cmasia

5. Jan 16, 2016 #5 of 511
    CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    The problem I have with ST is that with streamed London games, Thursday games, Sat games, double night games - you get fewer and fewer games on ST. Since we are the exact match - we don't like local teams but a distant one - I'm sure we'll keep it but it gets worth less and less every time the NFL gets greedy and schedules more non-Sunday PM games.

6. Jan 16, 2016 #6 of 511
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Does that include Justin Blackmon? :)

7. Jan 16, 2016 #7 of 511
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Naw, Blackmon ranks up there with Josh Gordon. Talent but cant get out of their own way. Blackmon was decent and had potential but in the end, its just better he not play I guess. I do like Hurns alot, Robinson, Thomas, Yeldon and even like Marqise Lee as well. Looking forward to seeing Dante Fowler on the field next year and looking forward to seeing who the Jags draft this year.

8. Jan 17, 2016 #8 of 511
    Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    The NFL doesn't care about subscriber numbers. Unlike the other sports packages, DTV pays a flat rate for ST and why would either party care about FOX or CBS?

Both are well aware that their broadcasts will be used for Sunday Ticket subs.

9. Jan 17, 2016 #9 of 511
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Well its obvious they care about FOX and CBS or Sunday Ticket wouldnt be exclusive. If it was available with all providers it would alter ratings of the games for sure as alot more people would be watching out of market games. That would directly affect the locals as they big bucks to air the NFL games and then the advertising they sold isnt reaching their market as everyone would be watching something else. Have it exclusive is exactly the right call here to keep everyone happy.

10. Jan 17, 2016 #10 of 511
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Count the beans and the NFL makes more money off of Sunday Ticket by making it exclusive to DIRECTV. The value to DIRECTV goes beyond the number of residential subscribers paying the full or a reduced price for the content.

If Sunday Ticket was not exclusive there is no way DIRECTV would pay as much as they do for the content. The value would drop if subscribers could get the content through other providers. The NFL would need to sell the content to more individual subscribers in order to make the same money that they get with one exclusive provider.

The NFL counted the beans and an exclusive contract makes more cents. A lot more cents. And making more cents makes sense.

Blackouts are provided to protect the local stations and their networks ... and while some people may be more interested in seeing a distant game not carried on their local CBS or FOX affiliate than what their local stations are carrying I do not believe having ST available for subscription to all cable/satellite subscribers would steer enough people away from local broadcasts to be a problem. As long as local broadcasters maintain market exclusivity for the games they carry they and their networks will be happy.

11. Jan 17, 2016 #11 of 511
    Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    Which is why it's an exclusive. No way I see it ever being different since DTV is likely paying more for the package than the rest of the providers would be willing to pay combined while pissing off the network affiliates at the same time.

12. Jan 17, 2016 #12 of 511
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    You quote said the NFL didnt care about subscriptions. It does care or it wouldnt be exclusive.

13. Jan 17, 2016 #13 of 511
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I guess we will agree to disagree. I think if you give people options to watch 10 different games, the odds are not in favor of the local game. I am sure there are a lot of people who would watch out of market games instead. We already know who would watch in market games because they are already doing it. I think its a narrow view to think no one would watch a different game if they had the option. I hardly ever watch the local games. I cant stand the Chiefs or the Rams. While Im not gonna say they dont have fans in this area, I am gonna say there are plenty that would rather watch a better game.

I also think the most money would be made if all providers carried Sunday Ticket but I think the locals would lose out on eyes watching and it would lower how much they were willing to pay the NFL for rights to air the games. I think in this situation, exclusivity is the right way to go. I think the NFL needs the locals more than the locals need the NFL. If the NFL were on cable only channels, their ratings would rapidly decline.

14. Jan 18, 2016 #14 of 511
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I doubt the odds are one in ten watching each game. I believe most would watch their own local teams. In markets with a losing local team I can see more people looking elsewhere for entertainment. But the local team is still going to have the greatest local following.

Who said "no one"? You are arguing against people who are not in this thread.

Viewership of out of market games would increase if more people had those games available to them. We do not know by how much. We can only guess. Perhaps people with access to out of market games who prefer an out of market team to their own local team and broadcasts will guess a higher number than people who like their local team.

15. Jan 18, 2016 #15 of 511
    Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    I think we're into semantics. They don't care about the numbers as far as income goes. They get their money regardless.

16. Jan 18, 2016 #16 of 511
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If more people had access to Sunday Ticket more people would watch Sunday Ticket.
    The NFL would make less money selling Sunday Ticket without exclusivity.
    The NFL is choosing money over subscribers.

17. Jan 18, 2016 #17 of 511
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I dont know that I agree with that. I think there would be more subs but I understand it would take more subs as the price would be driven down some. If what you saying was the clear cut winner, why dont the NBA and MLB do the same thing? I tend to think it would drive down viewership of local games in which would piss off the locals and make it harder for the NFL to get a good deal with them as they need the locals pretty bad. I imagine if the locals had it their way, there wouldnt be a Sunday Ticket but if they were going to agree to it, its better for them if it is exclusive with one provider. In the end we really dont know what would happen. Maybe the local would have more people watching their games from other areas than if its closed off like now but in the end, the commercials they sell are targeted for the people in that local area. We all know how much the locals love their revenue and think they are worth an arm, leg and everything in between.

18. Jan 19, 2016 #18 of 511
    Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    You cannot compare the NFL with the other sports.

The NFL has only network contracts where the other sports are driven by RSNs and local broadcast channels.

1 person likes this.
  19. Jan 30, 2016 #19 of 511
    fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    I switched to Directv from Dish purely to get ST. They gave it to me free as part of the switch, and then again for my second season. It is the only thing keeping me from automaticallly going back to Dish, especially with the new Hopper 3 coming and the 3 year price guarantee; if they give it to me free again (my contract is up in August) I might stay, maybe not (I'm a displaced Bears fan, and we get a couple or more games here on network, but usually it's the Vikings and then Chiefs and then sometimes Bears, though of course we always get the two Vikings Bears games locally.) If they make me pay, no question on switching.

I say that not to sound petulant or entitled (I want ST for FREE or I LEAVE!) but rather to make the point that ST is the ONLY reason for some of us to stay with Directv.

20. Jan 30, 2016 #20 of 511
    Dcm210

Dcm210 Godfather

Jan 17, 2009
    Last year I was able to get Sunday Ticket for free for extending the contract another year. As for the Sunday Ticket max, I was giving a $30 credit for a year and add the Sunday Ticket max. So I got the whole thing for free. If need be I would've paid for Sunday Ticket max for the Red Zone and Fantasy Zone Channel. If those two were part fo the basic Sunday Ticket I wouldn't have gotten the Max upgrade.

After finding out how awesome Reddit.com/r/NFLstreams, I might not get the ST though. Some of the feeds are in 720p 60hz. Just as good as the tv broadcast,if not better.