1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Directv Price Increases

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bill buckner, Dec 5, 2017 at 12:01 PM.

1. bill buckner

bill buckner Cool Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
  2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Package increases from $0 to $8 plus sports fee increases from $0 to $1. No immediate effect for customers under a promotional price contract.

Rich likes this.
  3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Almost certain I won't be holding on to Premiere next year ...

Sheesh ....

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Dumped that years ago. Don't have any movie package now and I see all the movies I want at much less cost.

Rich

5. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    So much for the Preferred Xtra package. Doesn't that $7 increase pretty much make it equivalent to the regular Total Choice Plus? Isn't DirecTV bleeding customers? That much of an increase isn't going to go over well.

6. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The difference is Total Choice Plus is a grandfathered package, so no one can switch to it, and it also has the RSN fee.

7. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Hmm... I re-read it. I guess there is a $2 diff now and they'll be a $2 diff after the increase. Diff will be even more when you include the RSN fee like you said in Xtra. Preferred Xtra will be like $115 for one TV. What a joke. I can get Dish 290 for WAY less then the price BEFORE the increase. And with non-retarded hardware and OTA support.

Rich likes this.
  8. energyx

energyx Cool Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Traditional TV is on a course for implosion. These increases can't be sustained as they bleed customers. It's just driving more people away.

Check your new RSN fee here: Check your Regional Sports fee.

Total increase of over $8 with tax coming for me. Time to get out.

9. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    I guess the packages are getting renamed? I don't see the XTRA package listed.

10. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    It's listed right below Preferred Xtra, both are going up by $7

11. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    OH MY FREAKING LORD!!! I switched to Preferred Xtra a few years ago to get out of the RSN fee cuz I watch < 0 sports, but I clicked on your link "just for fun". My RSN fee would be $7.49!!! I remember when I last paid it on Total Choice Plus, it was like $3 something. Holy cow. $7.49 bogus fee. I don't see how DirecTV charges these rates when Dish is so much cheaper.

DirecTV will give you huge discounts if you call and bug them all the time (like I do) and then its more competitive with Dish, but I know a lot of folks who "don't want to bother" and just pay the.... um.... how can I put this in a family friendly way? They don't care they are getting Matt Lauered? :D.

12. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The difference is Dish doesn't carry YES, SNY, MSG, MSG Plus, Spectrum Sportsnet, Spectrum Deportes, AT&T Sportsnet Southwest or NBC Sports Boston like DirecTV does, so they don't have a situation where some cities have RSNs that cost signficantly more than other parts of the country making it easier to spread the average cost out to everyone with AT 120+ and higher.

DirecTV isn't the only one doing this, i.e. in the NYC area Altice/Optimum has a "Sports TV surchage" of $6.97 and a "Broadcast TV Surchage" of $3.99, Spectrum has $7.50 "Broadcast TV surchage", and Verizon FiOS has $6.39 "regional sports network fee" and a $3.49 "Broadcast fee".

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 3:07 AM
  13. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Well, I'm glad they have a decent sports-less package. I would be really pissed off if I was charged $7.49/mo for sports. I know I'm in the minority, but I've never watched a second of sports in my life and have no plans to start.

Still, $115/mo is pretty ridiculous. I'm betting a lot of that is coming from ESPN. Last I heard ESPN is like $5 or $6/mo of the fee.

14. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Cox has a about an $8 sports fee as well. And the DIRECTV one is up to $8 depending on your market.

15. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    I looked at spectrum lately. Sure their prices seem cheaper but as someone above stated they don't have some of the sports networks that I watch all the time.
    A bigger issue is, in at least my area, the only DVR they offer has 2 tuners so you can watch 1 tv and record 1 show or combination at a time and no whole home. That is ridiculous in this day - it isn't the 1990's. They said you could buy a TIVO unit which costs a few hundred depending upon capacity and then a monthly fee. So by the time you get done some that looks cheaper isn't.

16. twiseguy

twiseguy Legend

Jan 31, 2011
    Stow, Ohio
    And I`ll still continue to get FSNOhio in GLORIOUS SD.
    Thanks Directv. I think it`s time to move on.

Brian Hanasky likes this.
  17. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I found an article from Mar 2017 that said the ESPN carriage fee is $7.21/mo and Fox Sports is $1.86/mo. Personally, I'd like to see DirecTV take Preferred Xtra a step further and drop ESPN. I'm betting there is some contract preventing them from doing that unfortunately.

18. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    It is called Disney and all the other channels / programming that they own.

19. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    My cable company has a regional sports fee of $2.73 and a local broadcast surcharge of $9.04. I can't look up Directv's current RSN fee where I live but I think it was around that and looks like it will be going up to $5.23 for 2018. So I imagine the fee on my cable bill will go up a couple bucks before long like it did on Directv.

Not sure if my local stations are really sticking it to Mediacom or what, but if Directv is paying anything like that for locals in my or other markets they really need to get a new OTA solution and provide a way for people who can pick them up that way to drop them off their bill. That would help when negotiating because they can tell the locals "the more you charge us the more of our customers will decide it is worth it to get an antenna and you'll get $0 from them!"

20. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    Thanks, don't know how I missed that. :)