1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 MLB Season...

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Figured I'd get this started early what with Giancarlo Stanton becoming a Yankee (if he passes the physical). I have to admit I'm kinda surprised, I did not see this coming. Can't see how it could hurt but I can see some things the Yankees must do. They gotta get rid of Ellsbury, that's the most important thing. They also need a proven starting pitcher. Lots of stories in the news today about the Stanton signing and I have to say, the proposed batting lineup sure looks interesting.

Does this mean the Yanks are a lock to make the WS in 2018? Nope. Should be an interesting year.

Rich

2. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yu Darvish to the Yankees? Is that a good idea? They have to dump Ellsbury on some unsuspecting GM before they can think about signing Darvish. I wasn't thrilled with his performance in the WS this year. I know he throws a lot of innings and strikes out a lot of hitters. Can he pitch in Yankee Stadium? I dunno. I don't think Cole is the answer either and I don't like the starting pitching as it sits today.

Big questions: Was the Sonny Gray signing a mistake? Will Sabathia's knee hold up? Will Tanaka's elbow give out? Can Severino learn to control his emotions on the mound? Will Montgomery be hit with the "Sophomore Jinx"? Darvish is beginning to look pretty good when I consider the above questions. We gotta have good starting pitching, you cannot win with just offense. Arrieta and Cobb are still out there, just waiting to be Yankees. Free agents, don't have to sacrifice any minor leaguers. That makes Darvish look even better, he's a free agent too. I don't know if signing either of those three pitchers would trigger having to include a minor leaguer.

Rich

3. Duke Sweden

Duke Sweden Active Member

Dec 4, 2017
    If any of them were offered "qualifying offers", I think it's called, then the Yanks would have to give up draft choices, I think.

2018 lineup will either be bombastic, or a dud due to injuries and too high expectations. I remember in '87 the Yanks had Henderson, Winfield, Mattingly and added Jack Clark, but had no pitching. They lost a lot of 13-8 games that year. Also, the baseball gods like to mess around sometimes, and may have the pathetically undercharged Dick Sox make a surprise run for the pennant. All I know is, I'm gonna be watching alot more Yankee games this year, especially in 4K (or does that bring this thread back to the 4K one? ;-) )

EDIT: Yes, Sonny Gray WAS a mistake. The guy takes forever to throw a pitch. He lulls his own team to sleep, that's why he gets no run support.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, qualifying offers. I couldn't remember that. The '87 Yankees...Yup, Jack Clark was a disappointment. Never thought that team was a TEAM. Bunch of guys just collecting a paycheck...Henderson's clubhouse influence. I think we'll be okay next year...I hope.

Sonny Gray. I had no idea who he was when he was acquired. I was disappointed the first time I watched him pitch. I don't see a top of the line starter, I see a guy throwing pitches that don't reach the plate. Must be a thrilling experience catching that crap.

BTW, it never bothers me when a thread I start goes off topic. I've learned a lot from off topic posts. I watched a member who really cared about a thread he started get hammered for trying to moderate it. He left this site soon after and never returned. One of his eSATA threads is still running and I can't help but wonder what happened to him.

Now, have you heard anything about YES going 4K? I find it hard to believe they can switch to 720p from 1080i one year and go to 4K the next. I don't see that happening.

Rich

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Spring Training is over, the season starts tomorrow. Not a big fan of ST games but I watched a few. I have high hopes for the Yankees this year but problems have already started popping up. Greg Bird is down for at least 8 weeks with another foot issue, Betances still doesn't look right no matter what management thinks. Tanaka had an ST performance that echoed last season, up and down starts and too many HRs. Sabathia...can he pitch as well as he did last season? I don't see a great pitching staff here. The Astros look a lot better all around, I think. Oh well, we'll see...

Rich

6. Duke Sweden

Dec 4, 2017
    I get tired of Spring Training after the first 2 games or so. The picture quality was terrible, especially the Arizona D-Back telecasts. I watched Yanks-Braves and St. Louis-Toronto (they broadcast their games in 4K) and they looked spectacular even for 4K upconverts.

Yeah I'm getting tired of the Greg Bird Show. I mean, seriously, the right ankle AGAIN!?! It seems like any stress he puts on it chips off another piece of bone. As for Betances I saw him the other day and he was lights out. Tanaka and CC can go either way, even if CC is on he's good for 4 1/3 innings at most, but I'm most concerned with Severino who seems to wilt under pressure.

I was not crazy with Aaron Boone's moves, either. While other teams were getting their starting 9 ready for Opening Day he was still putting guys who were released (Peterson) or demoted (Gleyber Torres) into the starting lineup. What the hell was Amburgey doing in the last game of ST in Atlanta? And this guy Lail pitching? I don't even think he'll be in Double A this season, and yet they were giving him a look 3 days before Opening Day. And what the hell happened to Clint Frazier? He banged his head on a chain link fence, not the Berlin Wall!!!

I don't like this Judge-Stanton batting 1-2 either. Being the good team man Judge is he'll try to walk more to get on base. Just stupid. Bat a high on base guy leadoff, then Stanton who likes batting second, then Gregorious, then Judge, then Sanchez. How the hell do you pitch around THAT!

I'm glad you commented here. I've been going nuts trying to find the thread. See you after Opening Day!

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm kinda tired of the Bird thing too. But when he's well he's really something. Tyler Austin really deserves a shot at first off his ST stats. So does Billy McKinney, he's just a good hitter and doesn't belong in the minors. Bird being well blocks them. But he isn't and I'm looking forward to seeing what numbers Austin can put up.

Stupid batting lineup. I can't see Judge hitting first, analytics be damned. I can see Drury being a real find, I like the way he plays. I've always thought the best hitter batted third...that would seem to be Sanchez. Well, we've got a wealth of talent, the batting order might not matter. 300 home runs, is that a stretch if everyone stays healthy? I'd love to see that.

Ellsbury is still on the roster...nuts!

Yeah, Betances looked great the other day. One day he looks great, the next day he doesn't. He was much more consistent prior to the salary dispute last year. We can thank Randy Levine for screwing him up last year.

Rich

8. Duke Sweden

Dec 4, 2017
    Well, that was satisfying ;-)

9. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    First day of the season and we already have our first ejecting as Braves Manger Brian Snitker was ejected tonight for arguing balls and strikes

10. Duke Sweden

Dec 4, 2017
    It got them the win ;-)
    Personally I'm sick of the pussification of baseball. Replay review, no sliding "maliciously" into second or home, and I really hate these new rules to "speed up the game". Has anyone checked the times of yesterday's games? All I know is the Spring Training games took well over 3 hours on many occasions. Rant over.

11. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    I just looked at all the box scores from last night and 4 games took less then 3 hours with Indians vs Mariners clocking in at 2:35. One game took exactly 3 hours, and one game took 3:01. Looking at the times the games that took longer were either high scoring or went into extra innings.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Talking heads on MLB Radio crucifying Phillies' manager Gabe Kapler for pulling his starter after 60 odd pitches. Kapler seems to be micromanaging much like Showalter. Probably worse than good ole Buck. The Phillies blew their lead and lost, BTW. But the Yankees won and the Bosox are in last place...all is good...so far.

Rich

13. Duke Sweden

Dec 4, 2017
    Shut up! ;-)

14. Duke Sweden

Dec 4, 2017
    According to ESPN Cora's head is already on the chopping block with Dick Sox fans :)

15. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    Yea he played the probity game with the statistic that most teams get better the third time facing a pitcher but I am not complaining about the early pull as that helped the Braves win last night.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    This is me trying to work up some sympathy for those poor fans...

Rich

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't know who I was listening to but he was really hammering Cora. Went on for a half hour. Do something goofy and it works out poorly and you get grief, it works out well and you're a genius. Wonder if there's an analytic for making mistakes...or doing goofy things.

Rich

boukengreen likes this.
  18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Well, Boone didn't make any glaring mistakes, took Severino out at the proper time, made a decent lineup. I feel no sense of loss when it comes to Girardi.

Rich

19. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    Ah I don’t have any puck the fillies. Its funny all the teams I like just happen to be rivals with the Philadelphia team of that league beside MLS

20. Duke Sweden

Dec 4, 2017
    Is it just me or does the 4K feed look like absolute shit tonight? Weak color, flat contrast, very dull. I've actually switched to the MLB Network feed.