2019 World Series

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Sep 29, 2019 #1 of 125
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The 2019 WS starts in about twenty days and I'm pretty sure the Astros are gonna be in it. I can't believe the Yankees can get past them. Because of how good the Astros' pitching is and how shaky the Yankee pitching staff can be. home field advantage though out the playoffs.

In the National League I would think the Dodgers would make the WS. I'd like to see a Yankees Dodgers WS. But I think we're gonna see an Astros Dodgers Series.

I can only hope either the Athletics or the Rays somehow knock off the Astros.

What do you think?

Rich

Athlon646464 and TheRatPatrol like this.
  2. Sep 30, 2019 #2 of 125
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Nobody cares about the World Series? Really? Not even one Astros' fan...you know who I'm thinking of?

Rich

3. Sep 30, 2019 #3 of 125
    mickat

mickat New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    I'm right there with you Rich, our pitching can be great, but if 1 guy comes out of the pen and doesn't have he seems to give up 3-4 runs. 2 years ago we got close against them and I never saw that coming so maybe this is your year.

4. Sep 30, 2019 #4 of 125
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    I agree @Rich - LA looks good this year.

I'm not wild about rooting for them (former NY team after all lol), but I'd hate to seem them looked back at as the Buffalo Bills are - getting to the dance a crapload of times and not winning.

[​IMG]

5. Sep 30, 2019 #5 of 125
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    To come this far and not make the WS is going to be devastating. And I know the Yanks won't make it. I'm still trying to figure out how they won over a hundred games this season with that pitching staff. All the raving about the wonderful bullpen and all I see are failed starters. I hope the Athletics win and then beat the living daylights out of the Astros, but I'm not gonna bet on it.

Rich

6. Sep 30, 2019 #6 of 125
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Bills are gonna have a fine season this year. Brady had a terrible time with them yesterday. Yeah, the Pats won but it was a struggle.

Rich

7. Sep 30, 2019 #7 of 125
    Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Excellent defense for sure. If the Bill's QB gets his head out of his butt they'll be hard to beat.

8. Sep 30, 2019 #8 of 125
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Phillies were in first place in early July. Now no interest in series. I will concentrate on college football.

9. Oct 1, 2019 #9 of 125
    SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003

That is really the issue in baseball, starting about when (which does not necessarily mean caused by, in whole or part) the playoffs were over-expanded, baseball has become highly regionalized. People care about their team and not about the sport generally. The other sports have figured out how to market their playoffs, and certainly their championship finals, nationally. Baseball has not.

10. Oct 1, 2019 #10 of 125
    Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    I respectfully disagree.

The shrinking popularity of MLB has very little to do with their playoff system or marketing thereof. As a matter of fact, if fewer regions were involved at playoff time, there would be even less interest.

You need to separate the fan's interest in 'their' team with the overall interest in the sport. It's the well documented declining interest in the sport itself and not the regionalism you mentioned causing interest in MLB to decline.

I'll use the NFL to make my point. My wife and I are huge NFL fans. We watch good match-ups all the time, as well as all games involving our team. We used to do that to a lesser extent with MLB, but don't do that at all now. That has nothing to do with either league's marketing - it has to do with the product on the field.

When the NFL became much more politicized a few seasons ago, we found ourselves watching fewer games (a lot of fans did). That has continued to carry over to today. We found we didn't need to watch as many games as we were watching before. Our entertainment time is now spent on a few other things instead.

When I said we still watch good match-ups, the threshold for 'good' has gone up for us. We want to be entertained, not reminded of some of the BS going on around us outside of football. The AB saga here in New England is the latest example of something like that. Social Media is killing pro sports (and a few other things as well).

As for MLB - the games are way too long for us, and we just don't have fan favorite players any more. My team is the Red Sox, but there are very few players I'm a fan of like I was 15 years ago. I don't watch many games at all like I used to. If I start to watch, I click around the guide and rarely make it to the third inning. That has nothing to do with marketing, it's the was the game is played today. It's a home run or a strikeout and very little in between. Very little in the way of strategy - in other words - boring as hell.

Just my opinion...

11. Oct 1, 2019 #11 of 125
    Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    As a follow-up to my previous post - I just read an article in the Boston Herald - the Red Sox are raising ticket prices next year :confused:. This will be the third year in a row they will go up about 3%.

If a league didn't want the next generation of possible fans to fall in love with their game - what would they do? Some of the things would include pricing seats out of the reach of most, extending game times so it's painful to watch on TV, and playing all important TV games at night so the next generation will be in bed fast asleep. Oh wait - MLB is already doing that and has for about 15 years.

My wife and I used to go to Fenway about 6 times a year - we haven't been in three years - even with some damn good teams here.

12. Oct 1, 2019 #12 of 125
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've seen the four games they've played. I'm impressed. I'd be happy to see a trade for Josh Allen. I'm not overjoyed with Sam Darnold. Think we can arrange that?

Rich

13. Oct 1, 2019 #13 of 125
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I respectfully agree.

Not sure I agree with what SamC said about the playoffs but I get his point.

Yeah, they did nothing to speed up the game. Thought making the mound visits a thing would work but I just read the other day the average time of a game actually went up this season. Wasn't for DVRs I would not bother with the games. Actually, VCRs got me started on watching so many Yankee games.

I get your point about NFL games being more watchable that MLB games. I've never watched teams I don't normally root for unless it's a playoff situation. I'm so immersed in what's going on with the Yankees that following the Mets becomes impossible, never mind other teams. I guess that could be called a regional thing. On the other hand, I can watch just about any NFL game and enjoy it. MLB and NFL are just different. 162 game season compared to a 16 game season. Far different.

Rich

14. Oct 1, 2019 #14 of 125
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I gave up on going to games. Yankee Stadium has kinda become a tourist trap when you think about it. Way too expensive and for what? To sit there for over 3 hours paying far more than premium prices for refreshments than they are worth? Doesn't make any sense.

It does seem like MLB has managed to really screw the Show up.

I do like the whole "juiced" baseball thing, I like to see home runs.

Rich

15. Oct 1, 2019 #15 of 125
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I agree. I never start watching a game from the beginning but will pick it up in the later innings, usually around the 7th, especially if it’s a close game.

16. Oct 1, 2019 #16 of 125
    Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    That's a great plan if you don't mind staying up until midnight :cool:.

17. Oct 1, 2019 #17 of 125
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Pretty much what I do every night during baseball season. I can't watch a game if I know the score and Google finally figured out I'm a Yankees fan so I can't use my tablet, phone or watch during the games because I get notifications about the scores on them.

Rich

18. Oct 2, 2019 #18 of 125
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    One advantage of living on the west coast is that most sports games end at a reasonable hour. It's even better in Hawaii.

TheRatPatrol and AZ. like this.
  19. Oct 2, 2019 #19 of 125
    Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Naaa - I'd have to get up too early...

20. Oct 2, 2019 #20 of 125
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ