2020 Price Increase for DirecTV and U-Verse TV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by techguy88, Dec 1, 2019 at 7:41 AM.

1. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    I just checked the AT&T article where they post the yearly price updates and they have updated the page for 2020. I'm guessing bill notifications will go out soon.

The RSN Fee Tool has not been updated with the new prices yet so its not worth calling customer care until bill notices or the RSN Fee Tool has been updated.

Judging by DTV's RSN fee increases and U-Verse TV's Broadcast Station fee it looks like both of them will be up to $9.99 for their respective service based on zip code.

New customers/winbacks are price guaranteed until the end of their promotion. Based on previous years I expect customers with loyalty discounts will see the increase.

Included below is the custom card I make yearly. I included the ARS, Premiums and Add-On prices since the old DTV help article for ARS fees and the new premium overview page no longer includes the ARS fee prices and the Buy More, Save More pricing for the premiums.

directv2020prices-complete.png

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019 at 7:34 AM
    Dishdude714, espaeth and longhorn23 like this.
  2. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Glad I am gone! Xtra striating at $108, still charging a whole home fee, I needed 3 boxes for 2) 4K TVs, advance receiver fee....
    After being a customer since 2000 with DIRECTV and a former AT&T customer since 1988-2019(Wireless) and 1991-2017 (internet), I am happy to be completely gone!
    AT&T was a good company and never had issues until about 2016-17 with them. My last DIRECTV issues broke the camels back! I will overall miss DIRECTV and wish someone would buy them and get them back to where they were. I would pay a premium to keep them but pithing reason. $120 plus taxes a month for TV will to fly anymore with me and millions of others.
    Right now at $78 and have EVERYTHING including better OTA.

Oh well...

3. tf92

tf92 Cool Member

Aug 7, 2008
    $7.00 Increase for choice extra classic, that is the nail in the coffin for me. That would make my bill $145 plus any increase in RSN fee for just that package and 2 total receivers. I was calling in the morning anyway to see if they wanted to keep me or let me go.

Dishdude714 and syphix like this.
  4. MrBill64

MrBill64 DBSTalk Club Member

Aug 3, 2006
    That's it for me. Will be dropping off equipment at the UPS store soon.

syphix likes this.
  5. icr2002

icr2002 Mentor

Feb 26, 2005
    My equipment is so old they wont want it back. lol I will be looking at dish network now. My bill was already $160 a month for 3 tvs and preferred extra with starz. Plus there is no ups sotres around here. Theyll have to send boxs. i have a hr44/200, a genie and a stand alone hd receiver.

6. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    $8.50-$10 mo for CSN Chicago + marquee network + BTN in market?

7. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    I have Choice Xtra Classic +$7 and RSN Tier 4 or 5 +$2 so maybe = +$9 per month. They just extended my $45 credit for another 12 months - maybe I should have held out for $60 credit but the computer spat out the offer to the Loyalty CSR and I accepted it.

8. tf92

tf92 Cool Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I might consider staying if they offer $60 off for 12 months, but anything less I am moving on.

9. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    I already am getting a $60 a month discount for 12 months which will be expiring sometime around March 2020. I will be calling around then to see if they can extend that for another 12 months. My Bill will be close to $200 a month if I don’t get that. I pay for sports pack, and have been an NFL Sunday Ticket Subscriber for more than 2 decades and an MLB Extra Innings Subscriber since day 1 when I got DIRECTV Service way back in August of 1997. I sure would hate to leave DIRECTV. But these last few years the monthly bill has really been going upward. $7.00 more a month adds up fast.

10. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    longhorn23 and Dishdude714 like this.
  11. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Mine is $0. #PreferredXtra.

12. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Lucky me, I get three different RSN's and a $9.99 bill for them. If I could dump them and save that I would be more then happy to do it.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  13. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Switch to Preferred Xtra. No RSN fee. Pretty similar to Total Choice Plus.

14. tf92

tf92 Cool Member

Aug 7, 2008
    My offer was $40 a month for a year, free Showtime for 4 months and free Sports pack for 6 months. I asked for more off but he said the computer only gave that offer and he could not change it. I will probably wait until the first of the year and see if YouTube TV goes up $10 a month like the rumor says before I go to switching.

15. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    So... after playing around with the RSN tool before and after it updated I was able to figure out roughly which tier had which RSN fee for comparison. The tool never goes beyond $9.99 in all the zips I tried including major areas like Chicago. In all cases if the zip had the current $8.49 RSN fee it increased to $9.99 beginning in January.

494ab990233317a369ebb7508f1e7838.png

To be fair in AT&T's case at least their main video services have only the RSN fee (D*/AT&T TV) or the Broadcast TV surcharge (U-Verse TV) and not both like cable providers (Comcast, Altice, etc.) If you compare Comcast's prices that take effect in December their Broadcast TV fee is $14.95 and RSN fee is $8.25 in Georgia. In Altice markets (Optimum/Suddenlink) these two fees are about $23 put together.

16. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    How do you "switch" to "Preferred Xtra"? I am at their website right now at the "change package" page & there is no such "Preferred Xtra" package available.

17. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Comcast's prices in Chicago may have to hit $15 broadcast + $10+ RSN when they cave into the cubs.

If they can hook WOW or RCN one can force there hand or some HOA's / MDU's maybe able to force there hand as well.

18. codespy

codespy Sorry Bears Fans! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    My RSN goes up $2 to $9.13/month, and my Premier package goes up another $8. And I'm not getting not getting any picture on my receivers right now due to a guide date issue!

Nice chart by the way techguy88. The only thing I see is there should probably be a checkmark, not 'x' for Advanced Receiver HD, DVR and WHDVR for customers prior to 2-8-2012. My first receiver is still free (I also still get another perk while being on grandfathered premier, getting the $0 DVR fee (not TiVo lifetime)).

19. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    You have to call in for it (or chat)... yeah, I know... it's never been an advertised package. Why let people get away without paying the RSN when you don't have to, right? :D. Well worth it to save $8+/mo when you don't care about sports.

20. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Thanks @codespy that column is actually "1st TV Fee" and the "X" indicates you're not billed for the 1st TV. That's why the $15 ARS has a check-mark in its box.

Just a heads up I have had friends tell me they couldn't be moved to Preferred Xtra. I asked some friends that work at the local call center about this and this is what they told me:
    • Accounts in the old D* billing system can move to Preferred Xtra or Preferred Xtra (All Included) with no issues. Customers billed from this system have an 8-digit or less account number. If they are not in a combine bill with AT&T or Centurylink their standalone bill will say "DirecTV" with the AT&T logo.
    • Accounts converted from the old D* billing system to the AT&T billing system are a hit or miss. They have been able to switch some of these customers to Preferred Xtra/Preferred Xtra (All Included) in most cases but they sometime run into an error when they can't.
    • Customers who signed up for D* but were always in the AT&T billing system (9-digit account number, standalone bill from "AT&T") they can't move customers to Preferred Xtra at all. I've been told the system always kicks back an error for these customers. Most of these customers have an All Included pricing structure.