2021 - 2022 NHL Center Ice

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by cmasia, Jul 30, 2021.

1. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Haven't seen anything yet on what pricing will look like.

But this year's package will be different - and interesting.

In previous years, a subscription to CI would include access to NHL.tv.

But NHL.tv, as we have known it, no longer exists.

Subscribe

It will be part of a subscription to ESPN+.

So, since we will be getting less with CI, how, if at all, will it impact pricing?

Hard to believe the season is less than 11 weeks away.

2. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I’m looking forward to the quad screen view feature that the ESPN app offers on the Apple TV.

3. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    For those who prefer NHL.tv only....

Last year the cost was $99.99 for a shortened season.
    Discounts were available for vets and students.

Right now, a one year subscription to ESPN+ is $59.99, going up to $69.99 on August 13.

I already subscribed as it already has enough content to make it worthwhile.
    I may skip Center Ice altogether this year.

4. Aug 2, 2021 #4 of 57
    bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    For the past few years a Directv CenterIce subsciption has included the streaming service for free...

5. Aug 2, 2021 #5 of 57
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You've been waiting for a long time.
    Knowing your luck, they'll get rid of the quad screen before the season starts. ;)

6. Aug 2, 2021 #6 of 57
    TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Don’t jinx us. :p

7. Aug 3, 2021 #7 of 57
    spiketoo

spiketoo Cool Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Don't require quad. There's only three teams I wanna watch.:rolleyes:

8. Aug 4, 2021 #8 of 57
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Except ESPN Plus has the streaming rights now. There is no more nhl.tv

9. Aug 5, 2021 #9 of 57
    Microphone

Microphone AllStar

Jan 30, 2007
    Massachusetts
    So will ESPN+ only offer one feed? That's big to many, home vs. road. Not sure we can use MLS as a barometer.

10. mccarthymac

mccarthymac New Member

Oct 19, 2016
    Indiana
    Will espn+ include in-market games? With NBCSN Chicago going away, how will I get Blackhawks games?

11. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    No it will not include in market games

SamC likes this.
  12. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    NBCS Chicago is not going away.
    Still on 665.
    NBCSN on 220 is going away.
    There are rumors NBC is trying to sell its regional properties in New England, Washington, Philadelphia, Chicago, Bay Area, California, and Northwest, along with their 8% stake in SNY New York.

ESPN+ will basically mirror what NHL.tv offered. And we're all hoping for dual feeds..

SamC likes this.
  13. spiketoo

spiketoo Cool Member

Sep 24, 2007
    But since the b'cast rights in Canada are not changing, will NHL.TV be available there? With a lil ingeniuty and a good VPN, I can see signing up for that.

14. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    or 6 months(Oct-March) for $42...6 x $6.99....

15. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    After reading through this thread and checking ESPN site. It sounds like NHL CI package doesn't really exist any longer. You just subscribe to ESPN+ for $59.99/yr ($69.99 -$10 discount that's available). And the NHL out of market games are included now. ESPN+ NHL Package.PNG

16. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    NHL Center Ice still exists for cable and satellite subscribers.

NHL.tv, the streaming only service, no longer exists as an a la carte purchase. It is now bundled into ESPN+.
    For marketing purposes, it makes sense to call it "NHL on ESPN+".

17. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Is this for certain? I wonder how thats going to work now? I’m guessing we’re not going to get an ESPN+ subscription if we order NHLCI?

And has anyone heard if the NHL Network is sticking around?

18. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    commercial use?

19. zmancartfan

zmancartfan AllStar

Mar 23, 2012
    Yeah, I wouldn't think that we'd get an ESPN+ subscription with the purchase of CI (if it exists). I think the NHL solely owned out of market and international streaming rights last year for non-national games, so it would have been within their control to give away an nhl.tv subscription along with CI. With those rights (at least domestically) now being owned by ESPN, I can't imagine ESPN would want to give up $70 voluntarily when somebody purchases a product through a different platform.

I'm thinking nhl.tv may still exist for international customers, but with the NHL triggering the buyout by Disney and giving up their stake in the former BAMtech group, I could very well be wrong. I guess it's possible that ESPN+ may now have to offer international streaming options, or at least maybe they'll maintain the nhl.tv moniker but control the actual back-end.

Or maybe folks out of the US will be able to watch hockey along side of the Mandalorian. :)

As for CI itself, I haven't seen anything official that it will be back, but it seems to make sense that it would. Even though ESPN and others will be showing more games on their linear and streaming platforms, the bulk of the games are still going to show on the RSNs. As far as I know those would / should still be available for sale through a CI package for out of market viewers.

As for NHL Network? Who knows? And who cares? :p

Now that my internet service has dropped their monthly data caps, I'd personally have no problem if I had to go 100% streaming this year instead of having CI. I can't drop DTV altogether since Bally's isn't carried by any of the streaming services (except AT&T / Direct Stream). I can't give up watching the CBJ. But if the price of CI (if it's available) isn't significantly lower this year, I'll probably just stick to the ESPN+ subscription that I already have as part of the Disney bundle. The value of CI has significantly dropped this year for me since we likely won't get a two-for-one-price deal with CI and nhl.tv.