211/411 - L2.61 Software Release Notes and Discussion

Discussion in 'ViP211(411)/211K/222 Support Forum' started by Jason Nipp, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    12/15/2005: L2.61 for the 211/411
    • Improved drivers for OTA signals to help reduce macroblocking
    • EPG data retrieval and grid population enhancements
    • Pop-up 023 from check switch summary fix, when trying to enter EPG
    • Pop-up 129 (authorization) not appearing on initial boot-up fix
    • Cancel EPG download function from Search fix
    • VCR test menu receiver reset fix
    • Fix for occasional no a/v on initial boot-up

2. NR2D

NR2D New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    I currently have 2 411's in use. When they were first installed, by me, they would shut off sometime during the night. In the preferences menu there is a choice of disabling the inactivity shut off. On both receivers I have this set for disable. Both receivers are still shutting off though. I want to keep my receivers on at all times. I have done this since the first time I had a "C" band 10' dish. Anyone have any ideas?

Rich Dunklee
    NR2D

3. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Welcome NR2D,

Technically the receivers are always on, when you power down from the front panel or remote, you are putting the unit into standby. At this time a picture is still being output to the display, it is just blacked out.

Please note, that not putting your receivers into standby when not in use can and in the past has caused issues. The units need to be in standby in order to download new updates, and even refresh the EPG guide data transparently. If you do not do this you will likely have your viewing experience interrupted when the guide is forced to refresh.

Jason

4. dsanbo

dsanbo Legend

Nov 25, 2005
    I'll strongly agree with Jason....I've always put my receivers (C-Band, Ku/Ka Band, and Cable) in standby when not in "use"....A quick button push now will save some aggrevation later....and, trust us, it WILL happen at some point.....;)

5. NR2D

NR2D New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    I agree but I never put my DVR921 into "Standby" until I did just once about 3 months ago. It down load new firmware and the POS never worked right after that. It ended up in my back yard in about 20 pieces!!!:mad: :mad:

When the EPG is out of date and I would go to look at it, the receiver would ask me to down load the latest EPG and I would let it and I just had to wait 3 minutes. To me just a minor delay.

When I had my "C" band system my installer told me NEVER to turn it off since leaving it on kept voltage on the LNB's and would keep moisture out.

Just my thoughts.

Rich Dunklee
    NR2D

6. Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    You can go into the menu and turn off auto-updates.

However, I would recommend strongly against refusing updates on a brand new model like this one as there's bound to be some features still being tweaked.

This is your call, but I don't recommend it.

7. jerryez

jerryez Godfather

Nov 15, 2002
    My 211 goes into standby and my TiVo can't record scheduled programs. I have turned it off and it doesn't work. It still goes into standby. I set the standby at 8 hours to help, but I do not even know if that works.

I use my TiVo guide, so I do not care about the 211 guide. I just want the standby disabled like it should.

8. davidede

davidede New Member

Oct 19, 2005
    I'm a new subscriber to D* and have had the Vip 411 for a week now. Today I lost audio. I've done the usual cable checks, but no sound. TV speakers work fine with my DVD player. I've shut down the 411 Receiver, but still sound after a new start up.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Try a "Soft Boot" (press the power button for 15-20 seconds and the receiver will reboot) or a "Hard Boot" (unplug the beast for 15-20 seconds and plug it back in).

Simply turning off a receiver doesn't actually turn it off or reset it.

10. davidede

davidede New Member

Oct 19, 2005
    I spoke too soon! I re-booted the receiver; now the audio is back and all is well.

11. davidede

davidede New Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Thank you, James.

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    My neighbor who was an otherwise trusted mechanic ran straight antifreeze in his pickup. He had a theory about keeping water out of the engine. As with the LNB issue, it is just a theory. Generally the electronics were potted into a heat sink and as such were pretty much immune to moisture. Keeping solid state equipment warm is generally not necessary unless heat cycling is severe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.