211k OTA guide vs the Hopper w/Dangle Guide, any difference?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mwdxer, Jan 22, 2018.

1. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    A friend got rid of his old 211K and got the Hopper with OTA Dangle. One of our OTA translators switched from regular OTA 12.1 KPTV/12.2 COZI/12.3 LAFF to their own set up with 12.1 KPTV/49.1 KPDX. I get no OTA guides via the 211k, just digital service for these two services. My friend says with his his Hopper/Dangle he gets the two guides for KPTV/KPDX. Is Dish doing something different for the OTA signals, like getting them directly from the TV stations with the Hopper? I like the 211k, however I would like to have all of the OTA stations with guides which the 211k does not offer. Should I upgrade to a Hopper and Dangle? Are there any fees for using the Hopper over 211k. Any HDD feature? I do like the 211k with everything in one nice package. However, I am wondering if Dish is doing something different in obtaining the OTA guides on the Hopper? Thanks.

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Dish has an additional Guide stream for DVRs - this has additional guide information such as both longer (up to 9 days or so) and more in depth (providing the additional guide info on the OTA subchannels). This extended DVR guide info does not get updated as often as well.

There are additional fees for using a DVR over just a non-DVR receiver.

Does your 211 have the hard drive option turned on ? ($40 one time fee and then you would connect an external hard drive to your 211). This may provide the same extended guide - but I'm not sure about that one.

3. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Thank you for the quick reply. Yes, I do have a 1tb outboard HDD for my 211K, along I am using the OTA feature for additional channels. I got the HDD activated back when I bought the 211K for the $40. Since the Hopper does have a streaming feature, I am wondering "if" it gets the OTA guide from the TV station(s). I have no idea how far in advance the TV stations puts out their guide either. All of my TVs offer the OTA guide for the current program and next program. No further, except I did purchase a little outboard HD OTA tuner an Ematic that generally goes up to 24 hours, but again no further.

4. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    All of Dish's guide data comes from a service not directly from the stations and AFAIK all receivers get the same data.

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Not true Jim - see my earlier post. While the DVRs CAN use the short guide that non-DVRs use, the reverse is not true.

6. crodrules

crodrules Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    If you want to use the dual-tuner OTA dongle, a Wally would work, with no additional fees compared to your existing ViP211k. (You already paid the one-time DVR fee, and that covers the Wally as well.)

7. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I wonder if the Wally gets the guide elsewhere? I do know Tribune used to do the guide for Dish. Trying to get "anything" changed OTA on the Dish guide is hard to do. I finally got our PBS switched after many calls to both Dish & the PBS station, but it took weeks.

8. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    All of Dish's guide data comes from a service not directly from the stations and AFAIK all receivers get the same data.

Some can display 2 days worth, DVRs can display about 10 days.

9. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    That is odd that his Hopper gets the Dish guide for KPTV/KPDX combo OTA, but my Vip211K states digital signal. Then I wonder if he has something mixed up? I couldn't believe that Dish has different guides for different receivers. With the HDD on my Vip211K, I get 9-10 day guide.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Internally there are three guide feeds ... all from the same source. Receivers with hard drives use the 10 day feed. Receivers without hard drives use the 2 day feed. All receivers use the present/next feed. As scooper mentioned, not all channels are on all three feeds (although on a 211k with a hard drive one should get the 10 day feed with all the channels).

(The 10 day "EEPG" guide is on 119 and 72 ... the 2 day "EPG" guide is on every satellite ... the present/next guide is on every active transponder.)

When the guide downloads varies by receiver. The 211k cannot download the full guide data while one is watching live content (or recording). Hoppers can if there is a free tuner (although new channels do not always get a EPG until the next day). The 211k is an older receiver so perhaps it isn't processing the guide completely. (DISH's focus seems to be on the Hopper interface - to the point of releasing the "Wally" to replace older one tuner receivers and now the "Hopper Duo" to replace older two tuner receivers. If something doesn't work now on a 211k I would not expect any time spent to make it work.)

crodrules likes this.
  11. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    If I was to purchase a Wally with no fee's and added the OTA converter, would the converter work as well as the OTA tuner in the vip211k? Also I guess I can add an external HDD like with the vip211k to make a dual tuner DVR (Dish and OTA), correct? Could I use the current WD HDD I have on the vip211k on the Wally?

12. crodrules

crodrules Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    Now that the Wally has two active satellite tuners (starting with software version U430) I find the Wally + EHD to be a good replacement for two tuner DVRs.

I find that the OTA adapter for the Wally works at least as well as, if not better than, the OTA tuner built into the ViP211k. With the external hard drive and the dual-tuner OTA adapter, the Wally would be dual-tuner for both Dish and OTA (a total of four tuners). You could use the same hard drive, but I am not sure if the old recordings from the ViP211k are compatible with the Wally. I reused the hard drive from my old ViP211k with the Wally, but when I connected it to the Wally, I got the prompt about needing to reformat the drive. I had already watched and deleted all of the old recordings before using it with the Wally, so I just let the Wally reformat it.

13. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Be it (4 tuner), is there a fee for the Wally each month then? fee free.

14. crodrules

crodrules Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    It is fee free, as long as you only have one Wally. The fee for a second Wally would be $7 per month.

15. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    If you have and it can still be done, you can have a Wally & 211 on the same account for base subscription plus the $7 additional receiver.

crodrules likes this.
  16. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Wally requires a larger minimum size hard drive than a 211 so all hard drives that worked on a 211 may not work on a Wally. I don't think my OTA Dongle is as good as the 211 OTA Tuner. BUT it still does a good job

17. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I use a 1tb on the 211k now.

crodrules likes this.
  18. crodrules

crodrules Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    500GB minimum required, so you are good there. I use 1TB drives on both of my Wally receivers.

19. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Thanks. When I bought the 211k years ago, I bought a 500G HDD for it. It still works, but it was getting filled up, so I got the 1tb last year.

crodrules likes this.
  20. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    There have been two sets of "repacks" in my DMA. On my 622's OTA tuner, in both instances the "piggybacked" channels are on the correct channel numbers with INCORRECT guide data (except for the "present/next" data which is only seen in browse banner mode). The piggybacked guide data is a mirror of the "host" channels (in one case both the .1 & .2 piggy back channel got the .1 & .2 of the host).