1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

24-500 Caller ID Curse Returns

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by 1953, Jul 12, 2011.

Tags:
  1. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    24-500. About a month ago caller ID stopped working then within days came back on. As of yesterday it is off again. Don't have a clue why?

Any feedback?

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Had that problem with my HR22-100 before it died. Caller ID on replacement HR22-100 works about 70% of the time. :shrug:

3. Kapeman

Kapeman Godfather

Dec 22, 2003
    The caller ID on the HR series of DTV receivers has been problematic at best from the beginning.

4. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    My 24-500 has been flaky with Caller ID since I got it over a year ago. It works fine for a few days and then stops until a reboot/restart.

The 21-700 that was sitting in that location before the 24-500 never had an issue and still doesn't in it's new location. Neither do my other 4 receivers.

5. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I have never had a caller id issue with any of my HR's and I've had HR's since they were first available. Caller id has always just worked. To top it off I'm even using a wireless phone jack which others have reported issues with.

It's been shown over the years, and in various threads on here, that most people that have caller id issues with their HR's have wiring issues in their home.

6. Kapeman

Kapeman Godfather

Dec 22, 2003
    I have never read anything definitive on this issue with respect to a cause.

I doubt that everyone that is reporting these issues has wiring problems.

The phone connection in my main viewing area was newly pulled by a very competent electrician and I have had mixed results with both an HR20-700 and the HR24-100.

Neither my experience nor yours really proves anything.

7. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    this is one of those maddeningly irritating problems.
    no -500 here, all -100, but I cannot reproduce.
    about the only reason I know of that may be why my 7 units work is I have 2 lines from telco interface that, by coincidence, all units are hooked to.
    phones themselves are on different line.
    would love to know what line voltages are at the problematic units.

8. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    That's why I didn't say "everyone", I said "most people".

I never said I was proving anything. You really shouldn't put words in other people's mouths.

9. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Much like the ‘speed’ of their DVRs – DirecTV must not put much of priority in caller ID. Plenty of complaints…

I have 5 receivers, (2) HR22s and (3) HR24-500s. The caller ID has always worked on the HR22s and one of the HR24s. It sometimes works on the 2nd HR24 and it never works on the 3rd HR24. If I swap one of the HR22s with either of the 2 HR24s with caller ID trouble the trouble stays with the HR24. In my simple mind that eliminates everything but the receivers from the being the problem.

There are those here that will blame me, the phone lines, the phone service or even the stars but I’m just not buying it. If the caller ID on the HR22 in my bedroom worked for two years with no trouble and then stopped when I put an HR24 in its place how can it be anything other than the HR24s? Remember if I swap the a HR22 back to my bedroom the caller ID works again and still doesn’t work on the HR24 downstairs….

I’ve read over and over that DirecTV won’t replace a receiver because of caller ID or even HDMI problems. I’m not going to risk having them send me some old junker HR22s to replace the HR24s that have caller ID trouble anyway so I’ll just live without caller ID!

10. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    +1

It's a crapshoot for me every time the phone rings. I gave up a long time ago on this feature actually working. Maybe with the new GUI we'll have better luck.

11. Kapeman

Kapeman Godfather

Dec 22, 2003
    1. You are splitting hairs regarding the use of most vs all.

You're said that most people have the problem due to wiring issues.

Okay, let me rephrase, "I doubt that MOST people are having this issue because of bad wiring"

Your statement, "It's been shown over the years, and in various threads on here, that most people that have caller id issues with their HR's have wiring issues in their home." seems to be a definitive one.

12. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    For the record, “bad wiring” not an issue at my house. My phone’s caller ID works every time as it should. When I run the HR24-500 systems test, the phone test always passes. I’m just not getting consistent results. Sometimes caller ID works on my DIRECTV receiver, sometimes it doesn’t work. Again, it works every time on my phone.

13. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    If you would take the time to read thru old threads on the topic you'd see that my statement is valid.

14. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1......Caller ID works 100% on every phone in my house. As I posted earlier it's down 30% of the time on my HR22-100.

15. Harveytex

Harveytex Cool Member

Jan 14, 2008
    A couple of months ago DirecTV replaced my old HR20 with a new HR24-200 when I complained that my HDMI interface quit working. However the tech did check it out to confirmed that it was the problem.

16. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    My HR20-700 and HR21-100 Caller ID has been flawless even Call Waiting Caller ID works every time

17. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Similar situation here. My main HR24-500 stopped logging calls Monday morning, 7/11. It's missed about 8 calls that the phone logged. Prior to Monday, it was working fine, according to the log. Just ran a system test and it sees the phone line. :shrug:

18. tas3986

tas3986 AllStar

Feb 6, 2008
    I am glad that I found others with this problem. I just received a new HR24-500, CALLER ID works for a few hours then stops working thereafter. Push the red button and caller id starts working for a few hours, then stops again. Is a bad receiver, or a software issue? I doubt that it is a wiring problem because nothing changes. I verified the wiring many times, and callerid works on a phone without problem. Any suggestions.

I should also point out that RF remote control has a similar problem. Works fine, then after a few hours, we get double or triple entries for each key press .. on three different remotes. Are these problems related maybe?

19. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Same thing here. Never had a problem with my HR20-700, but when the hard drive went south it was replaced with an HR24-500. Only way I found to bring the caller ID back was to reset the receiver. I normally reset via the menus rather than the red button. It would then work fine for anywhere from a day to a couple of weeks, but would eventually stop and I'd have to do another reset.

It's no longer a problem, as we've dumped the land line so there's no caller id info going to the set any longer, so there's nothing for it to display. I do miss the convenience, though.

Hyperseneitive double entry comes and goes here, with RF. Very frustrating when it occurs.

Also have the unit go unresponsive so that lots of keypresses go unregistered altogether. The trick of tuning to channel 1 and allowing all the sidebar stuff to load often fixes that.

20. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Some HRs seem to work fine with caller ID others don't. I have 3 and things haven't changed from way back when I posted in this thread. Once works fine, one sometimes and one never. I'm not sure they'll replace a DVR for non-functioning caller ID or that you wouldn't get a beat to hell 5 year old HR22 to replace it. I personally gave up on caller ID.

Does the remote work like it should in IR mode? I haven't had too much remote trouble since the last burst of firmware updates earlier this year. Do you only have one RF remote?