1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

24....first hour issues on

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by diagoro, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diagoro

diagoro AllStar

Aug 17, 2006
    The first hour of 24 last night was nearly unwatchable. It seems like a sat issue, but I've not had this with other channels (for the most part). It was the traditional 'brrrrrpppp' sound along with a picture that kept going on and off, completely black for long periods. It really ruined the season finale for me......

It was fixed by the second hour, just curious if it was D or the network having issues. Anyone know?

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Watched 24 in HD via Comcast -- no network issues.

3. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    While it didn't ruin the finale for us, we were having issues as well. I was really wishing I had left the OTA setup in place when this was going on so I could find out if it was directv or Fox.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    It was fine here, so it wasn't a "network problem", but might be [sounds like] a local problem from either your local station or the local uplink.

5. waltersw

waltersw New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    I had the same issues...first hour was unwatchable. Thought my HR20-700 was on it's last leg!

6. jdegrandpre

jdegrandpre Mentor

Aug 31, 2006
    Yes, it looks like a SoCal issue!

7. glou

glou Cool Member

Apr 5, 2008
    During one of the blackouts, Jack had already taken out 3 guys.

8. njmurvin

njmurvin Legend

Oct 17, 2006
    I saw the same thing (again, SoCal). It was so annoying that I switched from my family room HR21 to my master bedroom HR20 which is on a completely different dish. Both did the same thing at the same times during the broadcasts. Obviously, it had to be something on the supply end of the signal. As someone else stated, it appeared to stabilize during the second hour. This makes me wonder how many of these momentary freezes/black screens, etc. are not DVR issues at all.

9. rayik

rayik AllStar

Mar 30, 2009
    Recorded both hours on HR23-700. No problems of any kind. Played fine.

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    You're not in SoCal....it appears to have been an HD LiL issue in SoCal

11. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    I agree. I had at least four drop-outs of 20 to 30 second duration. I think that they all were in the last fifteen minutes of the first hour. I recorded 24 on two different DVRs, and they both had the exact same drop-outs in the exact same places. As soon as I saw that, I assumed it was a problem with the pickup or transmission of the LA feed *TO* DirecTV, and not my equipment. For once, it also happened during some commercials:). Yes, it was terribly irritating, and it certainly messed up the pacing and dramatic effect of the show. DirecTV owes us an apology!

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    While I understand "your pain", if it was the Fox station [and not the DirecTV up-link] why would DirecTV owe you anything?
    If you had a recording off the OTA feed and it was fine, that would be another thing.

13. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Thank goodness I don't live in SoCal. I feel for y'all, I would have been livid to say the least. Look at it this way, it's available on DVD and Blu-Ray today. ;)

The thing that ruined 24 for me was the whole Alan Wilson thing. If he really had Michelle killed, he would have known about Tony. And how many people are going to be blamed for killing Palmer? Graem Bauer, Charles Logan, Chris Henderson, James Nathanson, Walt Cummings, etc. We are to believe that Alan Wilson was above all those and didn't know Tony? But alas, I digress. Hopefully I didn't spoil it for anyone. Heh.

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    So you're assuming he didn't know and it wasn't part of his ploy to escape prosecution? [aka: prove it (without my help)]

15. Malibu13

Malibu13 Lifetime Achiever

Sep 12, 2004
    N.E North...
    Since this appears to be local issue, please report this in this thread for your specifice DMA: http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=154

Also...............as much as i am a huge fan of 24 as well, you may continue discussion of the episode here: http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=60&f=90

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.